Wireless geeks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless geeks.

Hi, We have or will have a wireless network at work. D-Link 11g one, my friend has just brought a computer and lives up the road (150ft?), Will he be able to access it?

Regards,
    EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
    cool koen> :)
    PRiMORDiAL> pfft
    cool koen> not because of a bug
    EvoLd> Lol
    Treachery> meh
    EvoLd> why then?
    PubAceR> women in power dont last
    EvoLd> LOl
    toaster oven reviews

I have a Linksys and my laptop starts losing it across the street. I doubt yours will reach 150 ft, esp if you guys are trying to share it as a long term thing.

I have a co-worker who's sharing a connection with a friend 2 houses away- they have line-of-sight and they still needed an access point and higher gain directional antennas pointed at each other.

EDIT: I think if you restrict your router to 802.11b you might get better long-range performance at the cost of the lower local computer-computer transfers (internet speeds should be unaffected b/c 11 Mbps is probably faster than your internet connection).
    Last edited by geekbot; 02-21-2005, 04:35 PM.

Comment

He should be in range but it depends on the equipment and the number of walls/obstacles. Don't expect it to be blazzing fast though. The info from the IEEE and from 3rd party sites tested .11g (in a single house mind you) and at 150 they still had coverage with a throughput of at least 10 Mbit/s.
      Last edited by Kolar; 02-21-2005, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim
        Hi, We have or will have a wireless network at work. D-Link 11g one, my friend has just brought a computer and lives up the road (150ft?), Will he be able to access it?

Regards,
        i dont get your avatar?

Comment

C'mon... of course you get it...

Comment

Crazy euros would fight over SOCCER
            ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
            Failure teaches success.

Comment

Working...
            X