Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluescreen Error (win98) after running Continuum

Hey,

I'm having a really annyoing problem where i get a Bluescreen error (remeber Windows 98 <_< ) when opening Internet Explorer or Firefox, making them inaccessable. This only occurs after playing Continuum, and it has only lately become a problem with my computer. If anyone knows a way to fix this, or has had it happen could you help me out :wub: It's kind of annoying having to restart the computer to get on a Browser

thanks..
    Touch me, touch me now!

my past experiences with the dreaded blue screen is when the computer is too busy to run..

it is likely to occur after playing continuum as the computer has to work. even when the program is closed the computer is still working and opening more programs (such as IE) just overloads a stubborn PC to the point where it refuses to work.

i used to have this problem on my old (and very slow) PC. the only way i got round it was by going through my whole PC, running ad-removal programs, virus checks and uninstalling/deleteing any unwanted programs.

Also, when you finishing playing SS, press ctrl + alt + delete and click the processes tab at the top of the box..WARNING : do not mess around with this if you dont know what your doing.. if you see programs that are definate spywear or programs you were using previously but havent shutdown for some reason, just click on them once and 'end process'.

Also just out of interest in the Ctrl alt delete menu, what is your PC's idle CPU usage? (in performance tab)
    04.07.05 08:59

Comment

Originally posted by Tibro
      Also just out of interest in the Ctrl alt delete menu, what is your PC's idle CPU usage? (in performance tab)
      Windows 98 se doesn't have this feature, but i know what you're talking about as i have used XP, and i dont think its a factor that my computer is to slow, as 256mb RAM should be enough to run Continuum and IE, and in the past I've run the two at the same time -_-
      Touch me, touch me now!

Comment

i see..

well if its a new problem, it seems something must have changed on your PC. and we all know what that means i'm afraid..

try doing some of what i said in my first post, and see if it does any help.. i would suggest virus scanning before doing anything..

then getting adaware (www.downloads.com)

Comment

I have Norton Anti-Virus, Adaware and Spybot S&D.. inch:

(edit) ive used them all and tried the Browsers again.. still the bluescreen

this is just pissing me off.. -_-
          Touch me, touch me now!

Comment

have you tried re-installing both SS and your web browser?

Comment

I geuss i could try that.. with 56k tho, maybe ill do it later :fear:
              thanks for the help anyways
              Touch me, touch me now!

Comment

no problem bud.. (and it dont matter bout your net connection, just virus scan your files and put them on a CD instead of re-downloading them.. make sure u virus scan them though)

by the way.. if re-installing doesnt work, my suggestion would be to reformat your PC.. maybe not right away.. but by the sounds of things, its needing a fresh start.

EDIT: Just had a though, this wouldnt have anything to do with needing to update drivers or anything like that? i know most of my PC related problems can usually be resolved by updating the latest stuff from microsoft.com
                Last edited by Tibro; 04-04-2005, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I think I'm having the same problem. While alt tabbed in cont, if I close Firefox it's still showing up in the processes tab and then won't open again unless I restart. It doesn't even end the process from the task manager when told to. After all this, it then has problems restarting/shutting down anyway. Bleh.

Tibro's right, just format the prick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibro
                    Also, when you finishing playing SS, press ctrl + alt + delete and click the processes tab at the top of the box..WARNING : do not mess around with this if you dont know what your doing.. if you see programs that are definate spywear or programs you were using previously but havent shutdown for some reason, just click on them once and 'end process'.
                    u mean END TASK for versions other than XP.
                    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

a fatal exception

"A fatal exception 00 has occured at 0028:C023DB7F in VXD VDD(09) + 00001803.
                      The current application will be terminated.
                      *Press any key to terminate the current application
                      *Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to reset your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications."
                      This after installing nvidia gpu driver 4.14.10.6176 and trying wither 16 or 32bit colour.
                      The blue screen interupts after selecting the Continuum icon in task bar (or even from desktop, after reinstalling the Continuum038Setup.exe [4.74MB.])
                      Using w98.2 & gf2 gts 32mb on a 56k dial-up connection.

Accessing explorer or netscape browsers do not cause this blue screen, just the continuum icon.

Comment

Working...
                      X