moving files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving files

ok since i have a new computer (see threaD), i want to move all the crap from my old computer over here so my dad can use the old machine.

the old pc has no burner, so i cant just burn it onto a cd.

i do have USB ports though. is there anyway for me to use a usb cord and stick the machines together?

i know the obvious way is getting one of those memory sticks.

tech support me!
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Originally posted by Edify
    ok since i have a new computer (see threaD), i want to move all the crap from my old computer over here so my dad can use the old machine.

the old pc has no burner, so i cant just burn it onto a cd.

i do have USB ports though. is there anyway for me to use a usb cord and stick the machines together?

i know the obvious way is getting one of those memory sticks.

tech support me!

why don't you just transfer the files via your home network? all you need is a switch hub or a router if you don't already have one

Comment

put a cd burner in your old one?

put your old hd in your new one?

network the two perhaps?

Putting your old hd in your new pc is probably the quickest/easiest that I can think of.

Comment

edify, try this link

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm

i've never had to use DCC because I always used my regular ethernet networking to transfer files.

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
          Putting your old hd in your new pc is probably the quickest/easiest that I can think of.

that's a simple solution too, if you don't have to worry about setting your hard drives' configuration for master or slave configurations, and if you are very careful not to format the old hard drive by accident

Comment

I bought a hard drive encasement package to help me do that kind of stuff. It's basically a case that converts regular hard drives into portable ones. The one I got was just $25 which is on the cheap end, but you can pretty much swap hard drives at will with it.

Comment

so i need a USB Net-LinQ according to that site.

the memory stick seems more useful since i only need the net linq for one time, and the memory stick can be used at college (this fall).
              thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Do both computers have an ethernet port?

If so, just use that. No router, no bullshit needed, there's only one possible consideration needed:

If one of the computers is quite old and the nic can't change the pin assignments then you would need to use a crossover ethernet cable, rather than straight ethernet. Better yet, just buy some CAT-5E, ends, a crimper and look up how to make patch cables online, so you can make whatever for your own needs.

I would've expected super-blizzard-programmer and all around general thesis guy gerry to know that. That is, you know, if he wasn't full of crap.
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
                  If one of the computers is quite old and the nic can't change the pin assignments then you would need to use a crossover ethernet cable, rather than straight ethernet. Better yet, just buy some CAT-5E, ends, a crimper and look up how to make patch cables online, so you can make whatever for your own needs.
                  wtf does this mean?

yes, they both have ethernet ports (the ones that hook up to cable modems)
                  thread killer

Comment

I would say network both comps through a router is the best ^-^
                    AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

Originally posted by Edify
                      wtf does this mean?

ok with an ethernet cable in the wire are actually 8 wires in twisted pairs. Older ethernet cards couldn't change the assignment of the pins in the port, but ones within recent years can.

To do a direct ethernet cable from one to the other you -might- need a crossover cable.

Take a look at this:
                      http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

See a straight ethernet cable has the same wire go from one end to the other, a crossover cable changes the wire assignments on one end, so the computer doesn't have to reassign the pins. For like $5 you can pick up a crossover cable, hook them both together and transfer whatever you need.

Or you could buy some ethernet (CAT-5E) cable, some ethernet ends, and an end crimping tool, and look up how to make cables yourself so that you'll be able to fit your own individual needs.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

do they HAVE to be crossover cables? because the old comp's ethernet port is from 2004.
                        thread killer

Comment

Then most likely not, no. It won't hurt to try it, if you can't get them to see each other then that might be why.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Working...
                          X