File Transfer between computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer between computers

Hey. I just got a new computer and I'm wondering how best to transfer my files from the old to new (120gb of junk).

Originally I was planning to move it all on my flash drive (little usb pen that stores 124mb) but that woudl take forever.

I have a few spare network cards lying around so do you guys think its best to just plug in another Cat5 to the hub, linking the old computer to the current network and do the whole 'Shared Folder.. Copy.. Paste' thing?

ps. The hard drive wont just plug in, theres no spare IDE port on the new computer. Perhaps I shoudl buy an 'IDE to USB' cable.

Thoughts?

yah i got a new computer recently too, but i only had 5 gigs to move over.

see this thread i made about it.

in the end i basically upped it to gmail from the old pc and downloaded it from the new one. $
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Lots of options. HD to HD transfer is the most preferable alternative.
      If you have no free IDE connectors you could simply unhook a device (an optical drive or secondary HD), hook up the old HD to the free IDE connector, and reconnect the unhooked device when the transfer is complete.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Yep, if I ever have to do anything like that, I always hook both harddrives up into the same computer. By far the best and fastest way to do it.
        sdg

Comment

Originally posted by semenfaze
          Hey. I just got a new computer and I'm wondering how best to transfer my files from the old to new (120gb of junk).

Originally I was planning to move it all on my flash drive (little usb pen that stores 124mb) but that woudl take forever.

I have a few spare network cards lying around so do you guys think its best to just plug in another Cat5 to the hub, linking the old computer to the current network and do the whole 'Shared Folder.. Copy.. Paste' thing?

ps. The hard drive wont just plug in, theres no spare IDE port on the new computer. Perhaps I shoudl buy an 'IDE to USB' cable.

Thoughts?
          got an iPod ?

Comment

I'm not sure, but why not set up a network behind a router. Then transfer the files through my network places. I think I did something like that, but this was a few years back.

Comment

Working...
            X