bittorrent related stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bittorrent related stuff

Okay here is the deal. I really had not jumped into the bittorent world until about 4 days ago. I'm still not sure how burning certain files works.

I downloaded Photoshop CS 9, into a .bin file. You also create a .cue file, which all you do is modify the .cue file to have a full filepath name, then burn the .cue file into a cd. (This will burn the entire .bin file)

This worked.

Now, I have a problem. I downloaded another piece of software. I ended up with 18 .rar files, and one .sfv file. The .sfv serves as a .cue file in a way. Tells you what you downloaded and such. Verifies the contents in a way.

It's probably not a good idea to extract all the .rar files. Each is about (200mb each after extraction as opposed to 16mb as an archive.)

By extracting them, I will end up with 9 cds to burn. That doesnt seem right to me. Whats the best way to burn this software on 1 or 2 cd's?

Do I have to make an .iso file and then burn the .iso into a cd??

I first encountered that problem years ago and was stumped for weeks. What it is, is that the whole file is compressed into parts e.g. r00, r01, r02 etc... each file being a small chunk of the original, meaning it is easier to download whole pieces of software in small bites.

Open the first RAR file. It should have the name filename.r00 or something similar.

Inside should be the bin and cue files, extract them wherever you wish and it will extract it as one, going through each of the r00, r01, r02 files to piece it together as one big file. As long as all the little .rar files are all together in the same directory, you shouldn't encounter any problems.

The end-product should be the large bin/cue and you can proceed to burn this

The .sfv is a validation check you can open with some program. Just ignore it, you will most likely never need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
      I first encountered that problem years ago and was stumped for weeks. What it is, is that the whole file is compressed into parts e.g. r00, r01, r02 etc... each file being a small chunk of the original, meaning it is easier to download whole pieces of software in small bites.

Open the first RAR file. It should have the name filename.r00 or something similar.

Inside should be the bin and cue files, extract them wherever you wish and it will extract it as one, going through each of the r00, r01, r02 files to piece it together as one big file. As long as all the little .rar files are all together in the same directory, you shouldn't encounter any problems.

The end-product should be the large bin/cue and you can proceed to burn this

The .sfv is a validation check you can open with some program. Just ignore it, you will most likely never need it.
      Let me try.

UPDATE: I see how it works now. It downloads the software in pieces, and it's being generated into 1 big .bin file that is created by way of .rar files. So it doesn't matter what .rar file you extract. It's linked to the same .bin

Thanks Mike.
      Last edited by gerry; 07-24-2005, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I have the software running!

Comment

Jolly good, in the future if you're faced with a *.bin file but don't want to waste a cd I suggest you download Dameon Tools (free), it allows you to run *bin and other cd files as a cd without burning them.

Comment

Daemon Tools*
            last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkero
              Daemon Tools*
              Dameon Angell's fault.

Comment

Yeah, use DAEMON Tools if you are unsure about some software or you just want to test it, its a virtual drive program like the ones on CloneCD where you can just mount CD images.

However I find it easier to burn all software I download as I will have a hard copy of it in the future, and I can't be bothered backing them all up once I have a virus or something and I may need to reformat my hard disk.

Comment

Working...
                X