type of internet to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• type of internet to get?

Ok, Dialup and Satellite internet are the only two types of connections, as far as I know, that are available where I live. I've checked many times over the past few years, and just recently as well, so Dialup and Satellite are it... My question is, out of the two, which should I get, and stick with, now there is more to the question... I've tried satellite dsl with direcway, I had the version that does both upload and download via satellite, and it sucked. I know there is another version where download is done via satellite and upload is done via the phoneline, is this any good? I also know that direcway isn't the only one who offers the satellite dsl, so if anyone can say, from personal experience another company that offers good satellite dsl, let me know. I have a clear view of the southern sky... If satellite dsl sucks no matter what type or who you get it with, then let's talk dialup. Does anyone know of any ISP's for dialup that aren't all hype and actually do have good connections, dont bother mentioning about accelerated or 5x faster or any of that though, that just accelerates web page loading, not actually increasing the speed of the connection or reliability. All input/comments/etc is appreciated. Oh yeah, and money is no option, so throw all the ideas out on the table regardless of cost, thnx.
    Last edited by Reaver; 08-08-2005, 09:44 AM.
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

It depends, for what are you going to use it? Satellite DSL has much faster download/upload than dial-up, but they also have higher latency (pings) as the data has to travel to the satellite and back.

Comment

how far is the next place with some serious internet connection away?

Comment

Can you get a Cable connection? As long as you have cable, you should be able to receive the internet through it. I'd ask your provider.

Comment

If you can, get Earthlink. I've taken 3-4 of those online bandwidth tests and they all rate it at speeds higher than T1
          NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

you coming back to value finally??
            violence> dont talk 2 me until u got 900+fbook friends and can take 1 dribble from the 3 point line n dunk

[Aug 23 03:03] Oops: 1:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life
            [Aug 23 03:20] money: LOL NOT QUITE VIO BUT 5:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life

Comment

anything but dialup is good.
              thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

go gangster and get g4
                Big Chill

Comment

Where do you live? I assume that you live in the states. In any case I'll give you a quick def of each type I know of.
                  DSL: It's a Direct line to the ISP so the speeds don't fluctuate. Only get DSL if you are sure that your local CO is near you otherwise you won't be getting anywhere. (The farther from the CO you are the lower your speed). (Sattelite Internet works the same way, but the ping with dsl is ok.) Good for office use, and a little gaming here and there.

Cable: Aah my favourite IC, Cable is often much faster than DSL, but if you live in a crowded city like say vancouver, it wouldn't be a good idea to get it. I say this because the more people that are on a cable node the more slower your speed would be. My area doesn't have alot of people on cable so i get pretty good speeds. Inquire around (within your community) and see what people prefer most. It's great for games, streaming, and uploading.

Dial-up: Do not get it. You will hate it.

Well I hope you get it. I have alot of experience with this area so don't be afraid to ask me.
                  I don't suffer from Insanity I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Yay for people for ignoring Reav's "satellite or dialup?".

So summary:
                    Satellite: prolly bye bye to games
                    Dialup: come here elite lag! bye bye to everything else

Comment

Get both then you get the best of both
                      "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuukunen
                        Yay for people for ignoring Reav's "satellite or dialup?".

So summary:
                        Satellite: prolly bye bye to games
                        Dialup: come here elite lag! bye bye to everything else
                        I was just asking if the guy had the Cable alternative, for I think it would have been better than Satellite and/or Dialup.

Comment

Ok, I'll change it to: yay for people for ignoring Reav's " I've checked many times over the past few years, and just recently as well, so Dialup and Satellite are it..." :P

Comment

Yeah Kuukunen pretty much hit the nail on the head, all I can get where I live is Dialup and Satellite, I have my TV through Satellite, so no cable TV here either... so no cable internet as well. I did notice that there is another satellite service provider besides DirecWay, MegaPath Networks, anybody hear of em, hear anything about their satellite dsl service? And I'm looking to get a half decent connection for both loading web pages, downloading, gaming... not just one of the 3, but all 3...
                            1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                            3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                            3:Best> see it coming
                            3:Best> sad

Comment

Anything is better than Dialup... -_-
                              AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

Working...
                              X