Plea For Help - Desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea For Help - Desperate

Last night, i logged onto my fully functional Windows XP computer which my sister was using from before. After booting it up it says that I didn't bot it up right or some of my software failed. It gave me 3 options

Safe Mode
    Last Known Settings
    Normal Mode

I choose Normal mode and reach a blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86781930, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I reboot my computer and do what it tells me to: Enter Setup and disable BIos Update, Caching, annd Halting on system errors. I boot it up again, blue screen. I try all the other modes but none of them can get past that blue screen.

Starting to get desparate, I hop onto my old old labtop and google some solutions. All the solutions I've looked at require a Windows XP startup disk, and from there, acsessing the recovery console.

I'm no techy, I don't know what a recovery console is, nor how to get there. I don't even know which one's my Windows XP Startup disk. I've tried using Windows XP Disc 1 but the same thing happens. I've tried using the golden XP disc but the same thing happens yet again.

Can anyone please help me acsess the recovery console?

To get to the recovery consol, you have to boot from the XP cd. So go to the bios settings and try to find the option to boot from the cd. Usually it's like "primary boot device" or something and it's set to the hard drive or disk drive. When you boot from the cd, at some point press R. I've never had an error like that, but when I googled, this page showed up: http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm (Yea I know you already found it, just linked it here for convenience.)

Comment

The dreaded STOP screen.

Comment

I'd do what Kuukunen suggested. However, there are two ways going about it. I think Kuukunen is suggesting is this one but you'd probably be better off going down this route.

Originally posted by Send
        Last night, i logged onto my fully functional Windows XP computer which my sister was using from before. After booting it up it says that I didn't bot it up right or some of my software failed. It gave me 3 options

Safe Mode
        Last Known Settings
        Normal Mode

I choose Normal mode and reach a blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86781930, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I reboot my computer and do what it tells me to: Enter Setup and disable BIos Update, Caching, annd Halting on system errors. I boot it up again, blue screen. I try all the other modes but none of them can get past that blue screen.

Starting to get desparate, I hop onto my old old labtop and google some solutions. All the solutions I've looked at require a Windows XP startup disk, and from there, acsessing the recovery console.

I'm no techy, I don't know what a recovery console is, nor how to get there. I don't even know which one's my Windows XP Startup disk. I've tried using Windows XP Disc 1 but the same thing happens. I've tried using the golden XP disc but the same thing happens yet again.

Can anyone please help me acsess the recovery console?

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
          I'd do what Kuukunen suggested. However, there are two ways going about it. I think Kuukunen is suggesting is this one but you'd probably be better off going down this route.
          Well doing a reinstall is always a bit risky. :/

Comment

Yeah, no repair installation is needed. Just do like it says in the instructions that Kuukunen posted. However, you should do a chkdsk on the entire HD (not sure what /P did, can't remember). The "fixboot" might not be necessary either, so you should try without it first. If it's not working with it, there is also "fixmbr" which might help.

Comment

There's the info for chkdsk:
              http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/chkdsk.mspx

Can't find /p, so maybe he meant /f (without that, it won't fix anything)

Comment

Working...
              X