athlon 4000+ bus speed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• athlon 4000+ bus speed problem

I have an athlon 64 4000+, the bus speed is supposed to be 2000mhz, however when I run my Ai Booster (utility the mobo included for overclocking) it says that my fsb is only 800mhz. Whats the problem? How can I check my fsb now that i've uninstalled the utility?
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

You might be confusing the clock speed with the BUS speed...

800MHz BUS speed is correct, and I'm guessing the clock speed on that processor is at 2000MHz...

Comment

nope. the cpu clock runs at 2.4 ghz stock. (currently at 2.8ghz after oc) the fsb should be 2000mhz.
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

It's DDR, so 2x.
        Last edited by Darkmoor; 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM.

Comment

You may be a little confused here.

The HyperTransport bus doesn't actually run at 2 GHz, but at 1 Ghz bi-directionally, which is how the marketing team came up with the 2 GHz bus speed (great advertising).

In your case the HyperTransport bus is running at 800 MHz bi-directionally (you'll end up with 1600 MHz in marketing language).

If you want to have the HyperTransport bus run at 1 GHz you'll have to either increase the core frequency or the HyperTransport multiplier.

I assume you're using PC3200 (DDR400) memory modules? This would mean that the core frequency would have to be set at 200 MHz, the core multiplier at 12x (12 x 200 MHz = 2400 MHz clockspeed), and the HyperTransport multiplier at 5x (5 x 200 MHz = 1000 MHz hypertransport bus). You can view/change these settings in the BIOS.

Could you post a bit more information about the memory and motherboard you're using? I'm not sure why the HyperTransport bus would be set to 800 MHz, unless it's Cool 'n' Quiet related, but CnQ shouldn't influence the HT bus speed, because it uses the core multiplier not the HT multiplier.
          Last edited by Fallen Angel; 09-18-2005, 09:18 AM.
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Fallen Angel
            You may be a little confused here.

The HyperTransport doesn't actually run at 2 GHz, but at 1 Ghz bi-directionally, which is how the marketing team came up with the 2 GHz bus speed (great advertising).

In your case the HyperTransport bus is running at 800 MHz bi-directionally (you'll end up with 1600 MHz in marketing language).

If you want to have the HyperTransport bus run at 1 GHz you'll have to either increase the core frequency or the HyperTransport multiplier.

I assume you're using PC3200 (DDR400) memory modules? This would mean that the core frequency would have to be set at 200 MHz, the core multiplier at 12x (12 x 200 MHz = 2400 MHz clockspeed), and the HyperTransport multiplier at 5x (5 x 200 MHz = 1000 MHz hypertransport bus). You can view/change these settings in the BIOS.

Could you post a bit more information about the memory and motherboard you're using? I'm not sure why the HyperTransport bus would be set to 800 MHz, unless it's Cool 'n' Quiet related, but CnQ shouldn't influence the HT bus speed, becuase it uses the core multiplier not the HT multiplier.
            I'm using an ASUS A8N SLI motherboard. It says on the side that the system bus is 2000 mt/s, 1600 mts. Is that similar to hertz? I'm using pc3200 (ddr 400) dual channel memory.
            TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
              I'm using an ASUS A8N SLI motherboard. It says on the side that the system bus is 2000 mt/s, 1600 mts. Is that similar to hertz? I'm using pc3200 (ddr 400) dual channel memory.
              Well, not exactly. The HyperTransport bus doesn't actually run at 1600 or 2000 MHz (as I said before). It does however allow for bi-directional traffic. MTs stands for MegaTransfers per second, which is used instead of MHz, because in this instance using MHz to indicate the speed would not be accurate/appropriate (could be considered false advertising).

In regard to the HyperTransport bus you could say 1 MHz = 2 MTs, I guess.
              Last edited by Fallen Angel; 09-18-2005, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Given your system specs (Athlon 4000+; DDR 400; NForce 4) the HyperTransport bus SHOULD be running at 1000 MHz (2000 MTs), because the core frequency defaults to 200 MHz, the core mulitplier to 12x and the HT multiplier to 5x. My guess is that the HT multiplier isn't set to 5x but to 4x instead. This will not hinder system performance by the way, because running at 800 Mhz (1600 MTs) provides more than enough bandwidth to move data back and forth.
                Last edited by Fallen Angel; 09-18-2005, 08:31 AM.

Comment

ok i just checked the bios - the multiplier was set at auto and I put it to 5x.
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

Working...
                  X