Drive Renaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Renaming

I just did a partion merge with my C and D drives. So now I only have a C drive. However, my CD-R changed from E to F drive because of this. How can I assign my CD-R drive to D?

And word of caution. Be careful when you merge partitions ... becuase I lost 20 or so gigs of music because I wanted to merge the drives without backing up the data. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Originally posted by Sufficient
    I just did a partion merge with my C and D drives. So now I only have a C drive. However, my CD-R changed from E to F drive because of this. How can I assign my CD-R drive to D?

And word of caution. Be careful when you merge partitions ... becuase I lost 20 or so gigs of music because I wanted to merge the drives without backing up the data. Yeah, I'm an idiot.
    You should have used Partition Magic, great program for such things like this. Also, if you're using XP Pro, click on Start:All Programs:Administrative Tools:Computer Management. Then click on Disk Management, then right click on the ROM drive and you should be able to change it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
      You should have used Partition Magic, great program for such things like this. Also, if you're using XP Pro, click on Start:All Programs:Administrative Tools:Computer Management. Then click on Disk Management, then right click on the ROM drive and you should be able to change it from there.
      Funny enough ... I did use Partition Magic =(. I was stupid enough to think it would go smoothly and that I was safe w/o a backup of my 20 gigs of data.

I have XP Home I think ... nothng to change in the Disk Management section.

Comment

Partition Magic is bad news. I used it a couple of times for work, and both times it ended up scrambling pretty much everything on the drive--however I had made backups of everything because I was wary of the "we're not responsible for anything, sucker" line in the EULA.

That's strange that no optical drives are showing up in Disk Management--if a drive shows up in Explorer, it should show up there. Try selecting "Disk Management" and then clicking on the "Action" selection from the menu bar, then "Rescan Disks". If it still doesn't show up in the lower-right hand pane, something's jacked up, and reloading your OS is probably the best option. Again, Partition Magic is a shittastic program.
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

If there is no CD in the drive, it will not appear in the top right pane of the window and it won't have a media box in the bottom right pane of the window. However, it should still have a row in the bottom right pane of the window.
          Attached Files
          People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Comment

it appears that i do not have this 'computer management' you speak of...
            thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Mine is in "Administrative Tools" on the "Control Panel" when the Control Panel is in Classic View

Or go to Run and Open
              Code:
              %SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
              People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Comment

yea i have ta get mine from there its a helpfull tool especially when your other computers hard drives breaks or messes up, im always pulling ide cables out just to back up crap bah humbug.

i need to buy a router.
                :eek:
                HTF <ER>> yes because i like 14 year old boys pretending to be female
                Lance> Here is BCG's song
                Social Lif> i bet u stole it fron utube >.>
                HTF <ER>> thats what gets me hot
                :eek:

Comment

Working...
                X