Lag - Wireless connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag - Wireless connection?

I haven't been able to play this game for about a year now, I have to sit in spec mode all the time.

I managed to play half an elim just now on PING Current:110 ms Average:110 ms Low:110 ms High:110 ms S2C: 0.0% C2S: 0.0%

It then shot up to: PING Current:110 ms Average:110 ms Low:110 ms High:110 ms S2C: 0.2% C2S: 5.2%

I find that often, I type ?lag or ?chat and get no response for about 40 seconds. Then I get a spamful of the commands I was requesting. Although, other people still talk and people still move and shoot on the screen without jumping.

I have Broadband, wire plugs from phoneline into wired router, then ethernet connection from wired router to wireless router and then my PC picks it up wirelessly. Am I going through too many gateways and causing lag that way?

My ping is never very high it's just the latter two figures that stop me from playing.

Thanks in advance,
    EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
    cool koen> :)
    PRiMORDiAL> pfft
    cool koen> not because of a bug
    EvoLd> Lol
    Treachery> meh
    EvoLd> why then?
    PubAceR> women in power dont last
    EvoLd> LOl
    toaster oven reviews

I was in that elim !

I find that when i play using a wireless connection i just lag out constanly, so my solution was to move the router to the computer i use continuum on, and set up my other computers with wireless network cards. That way i get to play without lagging out.
    :whistling

Comment

This might sound kind of funny, but depending with what material your home was made from, that could potentialy become a problem with wireless tramsmissions. (concrete walls, steel, etc..). I say this because wireless signals bounce off walls and such.

The question is, how far away are you from your router? Have you tried experimenting while playing next to your router?

Another option is repeaters. They take the weak signals as they reach your PC and gives them a boost.

wireless repeater
      Last edited by gerry; 12-01-2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Wireless = packet loss. It's as simple as that. This si an extremely common problem. Find a way to drag a wire through your house or something because it's the fact that you're using a wireless connection to your router that is giving you the packet loss.
        (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

Stick a foil pie tin around your receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
            Stick a foil pie tin around your receiver.

That only works in the movies peanuts.

I had this problem over the summer, I had an internet connection in my room but I was always plossing all over the place. I ended up moving the computer downstairs to the router and wiring it up. I did it not just for continuum, Mainly because anytime I tried to download it would disconnect my connection for some reason and anytime I tried to fix it, it would only fix for 20 minutes or so. Come january, I'm going to be faced with a dilema, to stick with wired or to go with wireless. Fun thing is, I can have wireless and wired going at the same time, so when I switch rooms in january, I can set it up so I use my connection and someone else's connection, depending if I can find any connections in the area.
            I really do like pie

Aos> im a freelance Gynecologist

GHB>I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNETf

Matchbot1> You can't challenge your own squad, silly :P

Comment

Do a RF site survey.
              But really, RF bounces off of some weird things (RF will not pass through liquid), and then you have to contend with harmonics too. Home network RF cards are often low power (to keep the card inexpensive). Good, high power cards have much bigger ranges (and more $$$).

But I am here to tell ya, as someone who has spend a lot of time and money in emission chambers, the location AND orientation of the antenna make all the difference in the world. Moving it a few inches one way of another is sometimes all that is needed. If it used to work for you, try to replicate the way things were when it worked.
              Trouble is, without a spectrum analyzer, it is going to be ‘trial and error’.

Comment

Working...
              X