Configure a Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure a Router

Hi, does anyone have any experience configureing a Linksys router. I have a Wired Linksys Router. The model number is RT41-BU. The Linksys people have no help tutorials or anything because this model is so new, or its really old. Anyways, I am looking for a step by step guide on how to configure it, as the tutorial they gave me in a disc doesn't work at all

It may not have the exact corresponding model name, but I think this comes pretty close. Just click 'User Guide'.

Comment

I have had to do this many times... I remember there being a thread about this or something close to it. I will try and find it.

Comment

I found a userguide for it, and it tells me what the problem is, but not how to fix it. I opened up a command prompt and ping-ed the ip addresses for my computer and internet, but then when i try to ping a website, it doesn't respond. The userguide says that this is a problem with connecting to my internet and that i should check the cables. After i check the cables and realize there was nothing wrong, i am stuck

Comment

if you connect directly to the internet (without the router) can you ping something (like www.yahoo.com)?

Comment

Yes, and i can do that with my old router

Comment

Originally posted by hannon
              Yes, and i can do that with my old router
              If you haven't fixed it already....

Stating the obvious- this means the problem is not with your computer and not with the connection coming in. The problem is with your router connecting upstream.

On my router, I can log in, check the status and things like this. Check the status and see that your router has an IP from your cable/DSL provider. If it doesn't make sure it's set to use DHCP. If you can, try a IP address "release" and then a "renew".

If you can't release and renew, unplug you router (power) for a couple of seconds and plug it back in. The best order is probably, power your router, plug in upstream, plug in computers.

Good luck mate.
              Last edited by geekbot; 12-09-2005, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X