.png

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .png

When I click a link with .png at the end, it loads up I.E. like it should, and then a download dialogue appears (like it shouldn't) and downloads the file, the dialogue and the I.E. window then close....

Anyone have any idea what's up?

PS - No, OMG I.E. SUCKS GET FIREFOX please, I am well aware of the benefits etc, but it's not an option right now.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

A .png is the extention for an Image made in Macromedia Fireworks. Macromedia Fireworks is a graphics programme, which is made for more advanced Graphic Designers. It is very similar to Adobe Photoshop.

.png Files can only be viewed in Fireworks* However, you can "Save As" .jpeg/.gif/.bmp

If you need more explanation, please ask.

(*to my knowledge.)

www.macromedia.com
    Waiver

Comment

Nah, I.e. definitely supports .png files.

This one used to, and my computer upstairs does, as does every other computer I've ever used.

MSPaint can save as .png files..
      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim

Comment

Is this when you are trying to Download .png files, or viewing them?

I do not know enough about this area of computing, and may not be able to help much further, I am sorry I cannot supply an answer.

Good Luck, and I hope someone else can solve this dilemma.
        Waiver

Comment

Only IE 5 and above allow for .PNG view.

Comment

This is i.e. 6.

Don't really wanna upgrade to 7 as I've heard it's pretty shit

Comment

png stands for portable network graphics, and it is simply a lossless compression format. what is all this noise about fireworks?

ewan, there's a long answer and there's a short answer. the long answer gets really technical really fast and will probably only confuse you further. the short answer is that IE's png support is absolute and utter crap. i know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the plain and simple truth. it could be that the particular site housing these png's you're trying to look at isn't sending the proper MIME type, causing your browser to think that the png needs to be downloaded rather than just displayed. there's a registry hack that might be able to fix this issue for you. i must remind you that any registry editing is done so completely at your own risk. this particular hack certainly isn't going to fuck up your system, but i always feel the need to remind people that messing around in the registry can get pretty hairy.

anyway, here's that hack. right click and 'save as' then just double click the .reg file. you might have to restart after you run the .reg file in order for the changes to take effect.

.png reg hack
              jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Cheers I'll give it a shot when I go downstairs.

Could I have the long answer too? I don't think it'd confuse me as much as you think, you're not giving me much credit here. The site was imageshack, so that wasn't a problem. And .pngs work fine in I.E. on this computer, and they used to work on that one too. I don't know what changed.

Comment

What Jason said.

Originally posted by Waiver
                  .png Files can only be viewed in Fireworks
                  you can view them in ms paint
                  USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Fireworks is good for developing .PNGs for web pages, but they didn't exactly invent it.

All my PNGs open in the standard picture viewer

Comment

The registry hack worked, thanks J.

Comment

you're welcome bro-skie!
                        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment