Sharing Printers on a wireless router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing Printers on a wireless router

Hello, I have a wireless N router with linksys I've got it set up nicely, internet is sharing, files are sharing from each computer but I cant seem to get the printers to share. If I go to one of the computers, try to print something click on add printers and then click on "printers on the network" it shows the printer in my room, which is good but when I try to actually print files it asks for a username and password. I tried using the username and pw I use to login to my computer but that's not it. When I was at my previous college I was messing with some settings in the control panel and the administrative tools area so I might have changes some settings there that I shouldn't have.
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

did you make sure your workgroups were the same?

you shouldnt have a problem if your domain names are the same and you make the printer on one pc as a shared printer.

Comment

Yep, I actually, when I set up the wireless network, did the automatic setup that can be done if you have a usb flash drive. So it did all of that setup for me pretty much, so Im sure all of the computers have the same work group name. I have the printer set as being shared but when I try to print from another computer it asks for a username and a password. I tried using the username and password that I have on this computer (the computer that has the printer), but that didn't work. All of the computers are running windows XP.
      1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P

Comment

i had to set up a dell printer that was similar situation.

i printed off the config print out from the printer menu that gave me ip of the printer that is all i had to change in the add/remove printers>properties menu.

also you say it wants a username and password has the printer got an internal GUI that needs a username and password or has defaults passwords?

also have you treid entering your routers username and password GUI Login details?
        :eek:
        HTF <ER>> yes because i like 14 year old boys pretending to be female
        Lance> Here is BCG's song
        Social Lif> i bet u stole it fron utube >.>
        HTF <ER>> thats what gets me hot

Comment

Originally posted by Fair View Post
          i had to set up a dell printer that was similar situation.

i printed off the config print out from the printer menu that gave me ip of the printer that is all i had to change in the add/remove printers>properties menu.

also you say it wants a username and password has the printer got an internal GUI that needs a username and password or has defaults passwords?

also have you treid entering your routers username and password GUI Login details?
          I'll try entering in my routers username and pw, I dont know what an internal GUI is so I cant tell you if my printer has one or not. Im not sure how to print off the config print either.

Comment

You know like a webbased logon where you can configure it, some printers allow you to say goto local address 192.168.1.4 as you would a router.
            Say this was the printers ip (which you can either get from printable config from the printer or may have a default ip).

Also is this printer a network printer (connected to router via ethernet or wireless or is it connected to a pc (usb or serial).

let me know how you get on.

Comment

Let me try to give as much information as possible about my setup. All of the computers have windows XP on them, my computer, which happens to be the main network, has windows XP pro. The cable modem hooks into my wireless N router (made by linksys) and from there, my computer is hardwired to the linksys router. The linksys router emits the wireless signal for the other two computers to connect to the internet. The printer is directly hooked up to my computer, the printer is a HP psc 1310 model, and I dont see anything mentioned in the instruction booklet about a possible IP address I could enter in to edit the printer's settings. I tried entering in my routers username and pw, but that didn't do the trick either. As I said before, Im pretty certain there are some settings that need to be changed in control panel>administrative tools, but I dont recall what needs to be changed back. I was concerned in my first year of college about people being able to access my printer on the network on campus, so I had some settings changed and I think this is my problem.

Comment

hehe one sec ill go look but it might be on your xp firewall with printers and file sharing try enable this?

but im at work atm ill take a look when i get home if not we can set up a remote desktop and i can have a look with you.

Comment

I checked with the windows firewall, I dont think that's the problem.

Comment

ok well im uk gmt timezone if you want we can do remote desktop if that will help? but it will have to be after work sometime.

Comment

Ah well I got it to work. If you care to know how:

I went to control panel > Printers & faxes
                      Right click'ed on my available printer and clicked on sharing.
                      From there I clicked on Security then I clicked on "Add" under the list of usernames available to use the printer. And I selected a username titled "Everyone".

Comment

ah good to hear dude and thanks for lettin me know what it was

Comment

Working...
                        X