Operating System Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating System Question

Here's the long story: I got a new graphics card, it was working great. I installed norton anti-virus and realized it slowed my computer down quite a bit, not enough to have an impact on continuum or my fps but still, I decided to uninstall it. As soon as I restarted it after uninstalling it, my fps was destroyed pretty much. I was getting 30fps as before I was getting around 200fps. Anyways, there's no use trying to get my fps back up, I've talked to many people about ways to fix it, tried many things without any luck. So my next solution would be to reformat. I currently have windows XP but don't have the cd so I was considering changing operating systems. The computer im using was made in 2000, it's a 1.3ghz, 700something RAM, 256meg video card and a 20 gig HD. I'd like to get the most use out of this computer as I can. But if it's a better choice to just take parts off this computer and start off fresh with a new one then I might go that route instead. As far as OS's go I know there are some out there called redhat or linux but I know very very little about them, their functionality, what programs they can't run and so on.

Here's the short story: I'd like to know what you guys think are the operating systems that are better than windows XP but aren't so far out there that you can't run alot of the windows programs on it. Something similiar to windows xp, can run continuum and can either run microsoft word or has a program just as good, and isn't over complicated. What OS's do you guys recommend from first hand experience or what are some websites that explain the good and bad of some of the operating systems out there? The cheaper the operating system the better as long as it's not worse than windows XP.
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

hm

1. it's 768 mbs of ram
    2. You should probably test buying a new power supply, I had the same problem for a while and found out that my power supply was dying.
    3. What were you getting 30 fps in? Because if it was 30 fps in continuum that's dangerously shit.
    4. Tell me what graphics card and cpu you are using.

And you can probably find a cracked version of Windows xp available for download somewhere.
    Last edited by Pummel; 11-09-2006, 10:40 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

What choices? You have XP, that's it. I don't Vista will run very well...but it's not out yet anyway. Unless you were thinking of running something not windows.

I'd fix your computer as it is. It's probably just 1 thing running that needs to be killed, and it's probably something related to your A-V so it shouldn't be *too* hard to find. Re-install is overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
        1. it's 768 mbs of ram
        2. You should probably test buying a new power supply, I had the same problem for a while and found out that my power supply was dying.
        3. What were you getting 30 fps in? Because if it was 30 fps in continuum that's dangerously shit.
        4. Tell me what graphics card and cpu you are using.

And you can probably find a cracked version of Windows xp available for download somewhere.
        My graphics card is good, I just got it a month ago for like $170 it's a nvidea geoforce 6600 I believe, 256ram. That's a good point about the power supply, I think I'll try it cause power supply's are cheap. If that is really the fix for the problem it would be sort of odd that I only got the problem right after norton anti-virus was uninstalled and not right aways.
        1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P

Comment

A few things to try:

Try updating your graphics card drivers at www.nvidia.com
          Try task manager, (ctrl alt delete), go to the processes ab. First sort by memory usage see if anything is taking up extraordinary amounts of RAM. Second, and more important, sort by CPU Usage. You can ignore "System Idle Process", but if there is anything that is either using more than, say, 10% (not including taskmgr, internet browser and any progs you have intentionally open) or is jumping around a lot, try ending that process. If you know what it is, you might be able to uninstall whatever, if you're not sure what it is, search for the process name in google, you should get useful results.

As far as OSs go, you have no choice really... You could go back to Windows 2000 but there is no point as XP is just the next step up. I wouldn't recommend installing any Linux OSs (Redhat is just one of the many Linux OSs) as they are generally for programmers, or people who are like "ZOMG MICRO$OFT IS EVIL IM NOT GUNNA USE THERE STUFF LOLZ" who should just be shot really. Any OS other than Windows will have trouble running Continuum and will generally be more trouble than they are worth.

EDIT: If you paid $170 for a 6600 you got ripped off. They aren't bad but quite old...
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

norton antivirus sucks. never use it.

XP is the only thing out there really if you wanna play games.

Try changing in the options of continuum to 8 bits for graphics. it will make a big difference.

(as much as i would like push the whole linux thing - linux sucks for gaming its not a windows alternative in the respect)
            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Ey Reaver

If you had windows xp before then you must have a xp serial?

If ye do email your address to me and ill copy a version of xp home/pro for you.

Fair
              :eek:
              HTF <ER>> yes because i like 14 year old boys pretending to be female
              Lance> Here is BCG's song
              Social Lif> i bet u stole it fron utube >.>
              HTF <ER>> thats what gets me hot
              :eek:

Comment

Uninstalling Norton isn't gonna be the cause of this, unless it was protecting you from spyware etc which you've now opened yourself up to. Do the following:

Make sure Windows Firewall is Enabled.
                Install all CRITICAL Windows Updates.
                Install ZoneAlarm, www.download.com
                Install AVG, Update it, and do a Full Scan, www.download.com
                Install Spybot, Update it, and do a Full Scan, www.download.com
                Run Disk Cleanup
                Defragment your Hard Drive.
                Reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
                  A few things to try:

Try updating your graphics card drivers at www.nvidia.com
                  Try task manager, (ctrl alt delete), go to the processes ab. First sort by memory usage see if anything is taking up extraordinary amounts of RAM. Second, and more important, sort by CPU Usage. You can ignore "System Idle Process", but if there is anything that is either using more than, say, 10% (not including taskmgr, internet browser and any progs you have intentionally open) or is jumping around a lot, try ending that process. If you know what it is, you might be able to uninstall whatever, if you're not sure what it is, search for the process name in google, you should get useful results.

As far as OSs go, you have no choice really... You could go back to Windows 2000 but there is no point as XP is just the next step up. I wouldn't recommend installing any Linux OSs (Redhat is just one of the many Linux OSs) as they are generally for programmers, or people who are like "ZOMG MICRO$OFT IS EVIL IM NOT GUNNA USE THERE STUFF LOLZ" who should just be shot really. Any OS other than Windows will have trouble running Continuum and will generally be more trouble than they are worth.

EDIT: If you paid $170 for a 6600 you got ripped off. They aren't bad but quite old...
                  I've already tried reinstalling my graphics card drivers, I've already done all the system tools like disk defragmentor (I can't system restore any more for some reason). Oh and now my cd drive won't open so Im wondering if that is also because of the power source. And yes, I knew when I bought the video card I could have gotten it cheaper but I had gift cards to use at Best Buy and I didn't really think I'd care for anything else. I don't play any other computer games besides continuum but if continuum only runs on windows XP, windows 2000 and windows 98 then nm, I'll stick with windows XP.

Fairlights, I have windows xp pro but uhmm it's... well I don't think we're supposed to talk about that sort of stuff on the forums. I'll just say it's not the same old windows XP so I don't know if that would work or not.

Rab, I tried most of the stuff you mentioned, I already have ZoneAlarm Pro along with AVG, etc. I've done numerous scans and disabled programs.

Comment

I'd say if your new graphics card is significantly better than your old, perhaps your PSU isnt providing enough wattage. I'd say you want a 430W.

OK, Assuming you have no virus etc, your machine is good enough, so it's either hardware failure or software incompatibility. I know when I run stuff like MySpace it can fuck with FPS in SS, sound applicable?

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
                      I'd say if your new graphics card is significantly better than your old, perhaps your PSU isnt providing enough wattage. I'd say you want a 430W.

OK, Assuming you have no virus etc, your machine is good enough, so it's either hardware failure or software incompatibility. I know when I run stuff like MySpace it can fuck with FPS in SS, sound applicable?
                      Yeah Im gonna get bigger power source for my comp soon and I'll let you guys know if thats what the fix is.

Comment

Working...
                      X