Simple way to passmord a site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple way to passmord a site?

I've set up a pretty simple site for a group design project we have this year (We have to design a plane!).

I was just wondering if there was a simple way to password protect the site? It's on my university webspace so I can't do databases or any of that shit (I dunno that stuff anyway).

Just so you get an idea of what I know, I know very basic HTML. Enough for a website to be functional and such, but I am pretty sure I don't conform to any standards or whatever. I can put any files I please in the directory, at the moment it's just an index.html and a couple of other html files for other pages.

It really doesn't have to be very secure at all, just enough so other groups can't snoop out our stuff, and so the professor sees we considered that when we do our presentation.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

If your uni server supports .htaccess protection, you can try that. It's probably the simplest and most secure way. You'll need SSH access though...

Comment

a couple of remotely hosted ones

http://www.bfndevelopment.com/cgi-bi...nder.cgi?id=22

http://www.effex-media.com/services/password.php

http://www.authpro.com/

hope that helps.

Comment

You don't need SSH with .htaccess.

If your web server is Apache (it usually is) and .htaccess modification is enabled (it may or may not be), then you can create a .htaccess file to modify the server's behavior (like adding passwords).

Create a .htaccess file like this:
        Code:
        <Files ".ht*">
          order allow,deny
          deny from all
        </Files>
        AuthUserFile /pathtopasswordfilehere/.htpasswd
        AuthGroupFile /dev/null
        AuthName "Uninteresting personal things"
        AuthType Basic
        require valid-user
        Then you create a .htpasswd file with a password.

Google it.

If this doesn't work, and you can create dynamic pages, you could do something with a simple CGI script. I don't know of an easy way with basic HTML.

Comment

I got it sorted, used a .htaccess file. Had to SSH in to do the .htpasswd as the Uni info wasn't clear what dir to put it in. But it's sorted now, cheers.
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Working...
          X