Can't enter any zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't enter any zone

Continuum has decided that if I should ever hit play from the zones list that it will stop responding indefinitely, I have no idea why, any suggestions? Maybe I should just go to HZ with the chat only subspace client.
    sage

Maybe I should just install linux and get it over with.

Ok, so this is now a unix vs linux thread, begin.
    sage

Comment

I remember having almost the same problem with Continuum which I fixed by updating Directx. Already checked Directx?
      Maverick
      Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
      Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
      Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
      Subspace Statistics Administrator
      Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

I actually did go into a DirectX control dialogue fairly recently so I guess I must've fucked something up, I'll go see if I cant reverse my mistake, thanks.
        sage

Comment

Tried a quick google search. Hope this helps:

Microsoft’s DirectX

One of the requirements of SubSpace is DirectX.

DirectX is a driver set that contains instructions (in files like DDRAW.DLL and DSOUND.DLL) that makes programming games easier within environments that support DirectX.

Please note that we only provide the program and any technical question on problems installing DirectX should be referred back to Microsoft at www.microsoft.com.

Message from Rob Keir

I was able to duplicate some people's problems of missing DirectX DLLs and DLLs not being able to be linked to. Here's the story...

"SubSpace" uses two DirectX DLL files at runtime, DDRAW.DLL and DSOUND.DLL. These are usually found in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory.

If you manually delete these DLLs, manually copy over the DLLs with other/same versions or even just move the files somewhere else on your disk you'll be in trouble, even if you restore the files back to their original directory afterward. "Subcheck" will report that it has found the DLLs but can't link to them and "SubSpace" will say that it has a problem with DDRAW.DLL and/or DSOUND.DLL and won't start up. This is a peculiar problem considering that restoring the original files to their original directory should have no effect!

So, here's what you can do :-

If you haven't already done so, download the "SubSpace" game from our Web site (http://www.vie.com/subspace/files.htm) and install it. DON'T run it yet.
          If you haven't already done so, download the DirectX install program from our Web site (http://www.vie.com/subspace/files.htm). DON'T install it yet.
          REBOOT YOUR MACHINE. When it's finished booting DON’T start "SubSpace" or any other program that is likely to use DirectX stuff.
          If you have already installed a version of the DirectX software or have any remnant of DirectX still on your machine then :-

If you have them, make a backup of the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDRAW.DLL and \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DSOUND.DLL files, preferably to a floppy disk.

Delete the files \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDRAW.DLL and \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DSOUND.DLL.
          Run the DirectX.exe install file. Note that this will (very rudely) reboot your machine.
          "SubSpace" should work now. (Probably).

One thing to be aware of, if you delete the files DDRAW.DLL and DSOUND.DLL and then reboot your machine, Windows95 may fail to start. You will then be forced to start the machine in DOS mode (select command prompt only from the startup menu) and then copy your backup DirectX files (see 4) back into the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory and reboot. So DON'T reboot your machine directly after deleting the files!

Rob Keir
          SubSpace Team, VIE

Comment

VIEDirectX? sounds sick, I will be trying it just because its subspace directx, windows 95 here I come
            sage

Comment

Most of that explenation is correct but keep in mind that we aren't using the Subspace client anymore. Continuum still uses DirectX though.
              Maverick
              Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
              Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
              Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
              Subspace Statistics Administrator
              Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Yeah I tried to install dx and rebooted but the client still freezes when it tries to get into a subgame.
                sage

Comment

Whut if I posted.
                  sage

Comment

So that's where you went.

Comment

Format
                      Partition
                      Format
                      Reinstall
                      Redownload
                      Boom.
                      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

lolol

Comment

No disks, can't reinstall much, I did do two things prior to this 1)updated my catalyst shit and 2)dxdiag but I didn't do anything when I did that I had only observed it.

Tried to roll back the drivers for my card, but it still doesn't work and VLC stopped working too.
                          sage

Comment

Working...
                          X