KDE vs GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE vs GNOME

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of KDE vs GNOME? I'm trying to figure out if I should go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Entering the world of linux is scary =/.

I use Ubuntu and love it; but I read Digg and for reasons I can't remember, KDE is starting to pull ahead as far as reviews
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

KDE - it is more customizable, although a new user might get lost with all the options that you can configure. By default, KDE looks and behaves more like Windows desktops, so it will also be easier to switch to KDE.

Comment

According to people on /. gnome is having organizational issues as of late, and the code quality has dropped off some making it slower as a result

I usually go with xfce anyway
        USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Kubuntu is same than ubuntu but has KDE, Linus Torvalds said in his latest blog that he suggest people to use KDE.
          Original Mambonian
          TWD Head Coordinator

Its frustrating to write these lines after every post^
          I'd hope there would be another way..like some automatic system that fills them itself after every post.

Comment

I'm guessing you guys are talking about operating systems? I'm interested in a more customizable operating system, but one that will run firefox and continuum at least, I don't use the comp for anything else other than writing documents so what do you guys suggest and also, if you have one of these customized could you put your desktop up so I can see how it's customized?
            1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
            3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
            3:Best> see it coming
            3:Best> sad

Comment

Dear super squirrel,

Continuum is only designed for Windows so that is the operating system you want. Have a super day.

Comment

Brother uses Kubuntu, he suggests Ubuntu if you're just entering the world of Linux =/

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu for almost a year now I think, that's why you haven't seen me in subspace lately. I love it. I can't wait for KDE4
                  last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

I've used both Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my university, as I'm studying Applied Computer Studies.
                    To me Kubuntu is the better one. It doesn't differ that much from windows (in the way you work with it).

And to Reaver, you can run Firefox on Linux. I'm not sure about SubSpace but I believe someone got it to work once.. think there are several ways or even programs these days to make some windows program work on Linux.
                    But for writing documents I'm not sure, as Linux has its own "Office". You won't get a .doc file or so but I think you can open them though.. Well.. maybe there actually are other Office-like programs aswell for Linux that CAN create .doc files.. You should do some research because I'm not sure. Just know it's not standard included.
                    TW Web Developer

4:vys> yo
                    4:vys> 1 day ill be staff
                    4:vys> know it for sure
                    4:vys> yo P_L already told me that i'd be ZH one day when deluge is sys op and method owns TW

2:money> zazu got zizu'd when he should have zizzo'd

3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> !tell stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
                    3:RoboHelp> Told moth about stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
                    3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> oh sht

Comment

OpenOffice.org can do docs nicely. The open document format is better supported though, and becoming more popular. There was a tutorial for running subspace under linux, but I didn't get it running. I was lazy to troubleshoot though.
                      last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Originally posted by geekbot View Post
                        Dear super squirrel,

Continuum is only designed for Windows so that is the operating system you want. Have a super day.
                        This is why they created a patched version of Wine for just such an occasion. Search Google for "Wine" and "Continuum" in the same string and it should direct you to a download site. Actually works very well for me.
                        Reclusion
                        "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

I was being cheeky, but the OS that super squirrel needs is still Windows, whether it be a copy install on a Mac or emulated on a Linux machine. Methods in term of easy to set up would be 1) PC running Windows 2) Mac booting Windows with Boot Camp. Wine on Linux might be more of a challenge.

Continuum running on Wine looks interesting, though. I might give Darwine a try since I have an older Mac.

Comment

I just got my ubuntu cds today in the mail =D.

Comment

u could have dl'd it lol

Comment

Working...
                              X