Overclocking Core 2 Duo with slow RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Core 2 Duo with slow RAM

I've got a new computer coming next week. Originally I wasn't too interested in overclocking so i just bought cheap RAM to match the FSB of the processor. I have since learned of the Core 2 Duo E6400's great overclocking potential with stock cooling, and was just wondering what the feasibility of overclocking is.
    Here are the specs that matter:

Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz, FSB: 266MHz x 8, Bus speed 1066MHz).
    RAM: Kingston 2 x 1GB DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Non-ECC CL4 1.8V Unbuffered Dimm 240 pin

Now, I know normally I would want to run the memory at the same speed as the processor, which it will do at stock speeds. My housemate thinks, but isn't sure that I should still be able to overclock the processor and just have it not synchronous with the memory, but isn't too sure of the feasibility or if there'd be much of a performance hit.

If it helps, mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P Socket 775 1333SFB iP965 SATA 8 channel audio ATX

In the long run, I'll probably get some faster RAM (PC2-6400@800MHz) but at the moment that's not something I can afford to do, so was just wondering what I'll be able to do in the meantime.

EDIT: Also I've noticed that the E6420 has just been released, might it be worth returning my E6400 and getting the E6420 instead? It has twice the cache, which is the only difference, and is the same price. I don't really know how much cache affects things.
    Last edited by Ewan; 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

If you have slow ram more processor cache will give u a big performance boost.

Clock Speed isnt the only thing to consider with ram, as response time is just as important.
    Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
    Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

u dont need to overclock the memory if you're overclocking your cpu...

Comment

Update, I am definitely going to return my Processor when it arrives and buy the E6420. I am probably, but not definitely going to also return the RAM and buy the faster RAM, it's only 30 quid more, I just need to consider if it is worth it or not.
        USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim

Comment

ddr 800 ftw.

Comment

If you want to overclock your ram, I strongly getting ram which uses the Micron D9GMH chips because those are the ones that are the most overclock-friendly (Micron D9 Chips can easily overclock up to 30% or more). My preferred brand of ram is "Crucial" since they use Micron D9s in their Ballistix line of ram (newegg has some deals on these such as on the PC2-8000 and PC2-8500 models).

As for overclocking with slow ram... if you don't want to get faster ram, you could get the e4300 instead of the e6400. The main advantage would be that the e4300 has a higher multiplier (9x instead of 8x), so you would be able to overclock without needing to increase the FSB as much (therefore slow ram would be fine). Of course the e4300 does have some inherent disadvantages compared to the e6400 and e6420 such as lower L2 cache and no virtualization, but if you mainly care about overclocking and dont want to get better ram, e4300 is the easiest one to overclock.

If you want to overclock your processor I would recommend you get an aftermarket heatsink/fan since the stock intel one is fairly lackluster. I am using the Freezer 7 Pro (which for some reason newegg is overcharging for, best deal is here (same place i got it from): http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO). I have an e6300 (1.86ghz) overclocked to 3.0ghz on stock voltage and my cpu temperature is around 32 degrees C at idle, which is quite nice!
            Last edited by Zingy; 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM.
            CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Comment

I probably should have updated. Got an E6420 and 800MHz RAM in the end. Got those bits but not the rest yet, I put in the wrong post code so it all got returned and am still waiting for the refund to process.

Comment

e4300 is an overclocking monster

Comment

overclocking = shorter processor life

Comment

not always, more than likely if u dont buy a better hsf...yea

Comment

i got am e6600 last week. oc'ed to 3.4ghz. (8x 425) (OCZ Sli ram underclocked to 850mhz)
                      (I tried 3.6ghz but it was either unstable couldnt boot and running a lil too hot.)
                      idle @ 39-42c and load at 55-59C
                      my voltage is 1.45 i think.
                      any suggestion to make it run cooler? i already got a aftermarket cooler
                      maybe i should lower the voltage a lil bit

Comment

get a better cooler?

better thermal compound is also a good idea if youve got some generic silicone based paste.
                        Displaced> I get pussy every day
                        Displaced> I'm rich
                        Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                        Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                        Thors> prolly
                        Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                          not always, more than likely if u dont buy a better hsf...yea
                          Yes, always.

This is based upon experience in designing, developing and manufacturing electronics, including motherboards, for the last 20 years. Simply put, over-clocking runs the part beyond it's specifications, particularly it's thermal specs. This voids the warranty and puts the part, and components around it, at risk.
                          I have had this discussion many times with Intel and AMD AFE’s, over-clocking any CPU will shorten it’s life expectancy and decrease it’s MTBF.

Comment

well in MY experience, it hasnt shortened any of my processors, seeing i still have an old 500mhz celeron that is from 1998 overclocked to 820mhz which is at my inlaws running strong..so yea

Comment

this is my cooler, buy it it fucking rocks, its only on a sempron 3100+ and is ICE cold

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200013

Comment

Working...
                              X