Wireless router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless router

So I have two laptops (pc+mac) with wlan, and one desktop computer (pc) connected to my adsl-box. What I'd need is a wireless router that allows me to connect to the internet using any of these.

I need a NAT-router if I want to access the net without turning on my desktop computer for internet connection sharing purposes, right?

So the question is, what router should I get? Any suggestions?
    If I got it right, the upper one would require me to turn on my deskop each time I want to access the net from my laptop, is this right?

D-Link 524 something
    D-Link 624 something

Another cool feature would be one with a possibility to connect a usb2.0 external hard-drive that would work as a file server and bittorrent downloader. I'm a bit sceptic if it actually works. Any experience?

edit: the 524 seems to have NAT-support as well. Then what the heck is the difference between those two, besides the 20 euro gap?
    edit2: double speed. Seems to be enough for my uses in both of 'em.
    5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
    5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
    5: Da1andonly> =((
    5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
    5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
    5: Epinephrine> oh shit

The second one has 108mbps, however these super high speeds rarely work well, they typically tend to be unstable and require you to have a wireless card from the same manufacturer to experience anything close to these speeds.

I'd recommend a LinkSys WRT54G, it's stable, never had any problems, easy to set up, much better than the Netgear piece of crap I have here.

I'm pretty sure any wireless router you find these days will both be NAT and have at least one ethernet port. Just find one you like and google it to find reviews.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan View Post
      I'd recommend a LinkSys WRT54G, it's stable, never had any problems, easy to set up, much better than the Netgear piece of crap I have here.
      holy crap ewan beat me to it

LinkSys WRT54G ftw
      The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
      SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

I got the 524+ for 40 euros, worked perfectly, no problems whatsoever. And it's a lot smaller than the linksys ones that I've seen, dunno if they have small models as well though. Only thin I actually miss is the option of connecting a usb harddrive to the router, didn't quite appreciate the possibilities of this when I bought it but having a bittorrent-server outer harddrive would be nice for nighttime downloads.
        5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
        5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
        5: Da1andonly> =((
        5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
        5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
        5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

The WRT54G is standard for a small home network. D-Link is poor quality anyways. Make sure you update the firmware.

Comment

Working...
          X