Halp Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halp Again!

I can't get into Windows except safe mode, I'm currently in safe mode with networking.

I turned on my comp after I came home from work, nothing weird happens to I see a quick bluescreen (about 1 second long), and then it disappears and the computer reboots.

What to do?
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Start by ruling out things. The fact that you still can get into safe mode suggests that certain devices and drivers have been deactivated that caused the blue screen.
    Disconnect any devices attached to your computer like webcams and only start up with the bare minimum (keyboard, mouse, screen).
    If it doesn't help, start by uninstalling any recently installed drivers.

You can also try to restore your computer to an earlier made restore point from within windows.
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Tried both, and it failed.

Even tried to start it up without mouse and keyboard, I just let it wait on the "start Windows normally" for 30 seconds, but the same things happened.

I get to the part where I'm supposted to enter Windows but I get the quick bluescreen instead.

I'm guessing I have to format, but I'd love to not to.

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Cant you still use a virus checker and shit if your in safe mode? Check for viruses, delete like the last few things that were installed.

Or just do what Mav said and revert to an earlier point :P Basicly if you've ruled out it being something hardware related then it is most likely a software problem :P

Although saying that have you tried taking your computer apart? Check your ram and other stuff, just give it a clean. You'd be surprised how well that normally works: P
        9:Basti> any1 want pw for squad BlowJob?
        9:Inaphyt> no basti i want you to give me the password to your room so you can give me a blowjob
        9:Basti> sure
        9:Basti> we can take a basing duel in my bed
        9:Inaphyt> hahahaha
        9:Basti> i'll score
        9:Basti> i'll ride my ship into ur cram
        9:Basti> and take the flag
        9:Inaphyt> ROFL
        9:Basti> and finally lay a mine there

Comment

I've recently cleaned my comp for dust, and I did try starting in safe mode.

I haven't installed anything lately either. :/

Comment

May want to try updating your drivers, make sure you dont have any corrupt torrents, and check that you have the latest version of windows defender. Laptop or desktop? If it's a laptop, cleaning it out required some disassembly - make sure you have the processor locked in place, see that you didn't forget to reconnect any wires, and make sure the parts that need a screw or two to be kept in place (i.e. hard drive, cd/dvd drive, graphics card) are secure. What did you use to dust it? If it's a desktop, I'd highly suggest using some compressed air on your power supply for starters. Then make sure your graphics card is in there nice and tight, along with your RAM. As with a laptop, if you've taken anything apart recently it could just be a loose wire. Also, if your area has experienced any harsh thunderstorms lately I found out the hard way that a lightning strike can fry vital components.

Lastly, when you start your computer does windows give you any error messages? An error message could narrow down the possibilities very significantly.

Comment

It just randomly worked, but I'm going to format anyway.

I have a K8n Neo2 MS-7025 motherboard, but I'm unsure of what drivers to get. Do any of you know of any sites that keeps track of good/bad drivers?

Also, I found this.

It claims to auto updating all my drivers, which is what I suspect is the reason for this thread. It also flashes my bios, sounds awesome.

I'm skeptical if this is a good thing or a risk, what can you tell me guys?

Comment

gl with your quest Mr. Might
                SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Same thing happend to me. I had to reformat. Did you try System Restore?
                  OBama/Biden 08

Comment

I never had anything like that enabled.

Comment

If you use xp
                      Go to System Tools
                      Then System Restore

It's automatic you don't enable it.
                      OBama/Biden 08

Comment

It was disabled by default, never touched it.

I got no restore point from when my comp was fine.

I'm going to have to format, it's that much of a deal to do it I guess. The only thing that keeps this thread going is that I'm trying to find out what the issue is so it won't happen again.

Comment

I formatted just now, and I weren't able to install the drivers for my motherboard afterwards.

Formatting went flawless, windows install went as it should go.
                          Nforce3 drivers for my motherboard did not work. It "works" to the point where it tells me to restart and it went successfully. When I get back into windows no drivers are installed.

If I install the driver for my ATI Radeon Sapphire X800 screen card I get the same fucking blue screen for 0,5 seconds untill my comp reboots.

I have a msi k8 neo2 motherboard, but I can't remeber what exact one atm.

What can I do?

I've taken out both ram chips, and tried to do it all with either of them in different ram slots. I've removed the IDE cable, disconnected my extra USB ports, removed the floppy cable, and everything not required for the computer to get into windows. Still no go.

Comment

Is it actually the 'blue screen of death'? If so, make sure that 'Write debugging information' is active (System Properties|Advanced tab). After blue screen, it will write a debug/dump file to the root (file has .dmp extension). You will not be able to read this file without a debug tool from MS. This tool is called WinDbg.exe and you can find it on the MS site at:
                            http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...nstallx86.mspx

Also note that to get extended debug info, you will want to also have the MS support symbols. You can use a internet path to the MS site for this or you can download and install them to your hard drive. Link for these is:
                            http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...symbolpkg.mspx Note I think the symbol are several hundred MB.

Start WinDbg.exe, select 'Open Crash Dump'. To get extended information, type '!analyze -v' in the command line of the tool. This will tell you exactly what file/driver/hardware is involved with the crash.

Alternatively, post the .dmp file somewhere and I will analyze it for you.

Note to all, I have written a paper for my company on how to trouble-shoot Windows based devices effectively. It describes a good trouble-shooting strategy and the tools freely available to assist in trouble shooting (like WinDbg.exe, System Event Viewer, etc.). If there is interest, I can sanitize it (remove company stuff) and make it available to you guys. Perhaps sticky it?

Comment

Thank you Ephermal.

And yeah, giev paper!

Comment

Working...
                              X