Windows boots but doesn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows boots but doesn't?

Now that Iv'e put some parts together (textbook I can assume you), I booted up, past post and received that last known good boot request prompt with all the other options like safe mode and such. The thing is as after an option is picked, I hear a post beep, see the post again and have it reload that prompt in a repeating cycle. It seems that windows 'reboots' but why?
    Celibrate
    XXX is overrated.

Originally posted by Ice-Demon View Post
    Now that Iv'e put some parts together (textbook I can assume you), I booted up, past post and received that last known good boot request prompt with all the other options like safe mode and such. The thing is as after an option is picked, I hear a post beep, see the post again and have it reload that prompt in a repeating cycle. It seems that windows 'reboots' but why?
    I would guess that it's because you're using new/different hardware. I would think Last Known Good Configuration would be loading drivers for your old hardware, which you no longer have. Try booting to safe mode? If you can, then windows might update your hardware and load the proper drivers so you can boot. What OS are you using? If you're using windows 2000 or xp, you might try doing a "repair install." see this link for a quick guide on doing a repair install in 2000. You can google "windows xp repair installation" if that's your os.

Make sure your HDD is properly connected and recognized by BIOS (go into BIOS; if your HDD isn't there, then try to autodetect it). If BIOS can't see your HDD, then windows won't boot - check your cable connections.

Make sure your power supply is big enough to handle your new mobo. Check your mobo manual for details...

You can also try reading this.

Good luck.

Comment

Yea, a new Mobo, ASUS, everything is new but the hdds. Thanks, repaired the install and it's working dandy.
      Celibrate
      XXX is overrated.

Comment

Working...
      X