Vista help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista help

Anyone good with windows Vista? I fucking hate this new computer. It's an hp pavilion a6230n. Everytime I try to open contiuum, msn chat, or it prompts me with security questions. It won't auto run any cd's. A security thingy pops up. I can't even intall the monitor softaware that came with the fucking computer. I have a 3 Gigs of Ram (2.87) now and my computer is running slow as fuck.

Also, it hard to play contiuum, I had to go to advanced options and click software emulation so I could have a framerate higher than 6 (it's 490 now). Lag has been an issue too, I use dsl and it feels like I'm using dial up. Any suggestions......
    OBama/Biden 08

I had some of the same problems. Turn of User Account Control to remove all those pesky extra messages. You'll find it in the Control Panel interface.

I haven't experienced any problems with Continuum, so I can't answer you on that or the lag issue.

Vista in general slows down your computer, and took away some of the "OMG NEW COMPUTER" feeling that is half the joy of getting a new computer. However, now I've gotten used to Vista, and I'll never go back to XP. Theres many features with it that you will discover that is better than XP.
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Firstly, the problems you describe are unlikely due to Vista.

I have Vista and have never had any problems running Continuum (apart from having to turn on software emulation, but that was nVidia's fault, not MS), MSN or audio CDs.

Many PC manufacturers especially HP and Dell sell PCs full of all sorts of crap. Help Centres, Installshield Updater, Norton/MCafee etc. All of these slow down computers significantly.

Looking at your specific PC, it appears it comes with Norton Internet Security. If I were you, I would uninstall this as soon as you can. It's slow, buggy and is probably the cause of all the security alerts you get from MSN and Continuum.

It might be worth reformatting your computer and installing Vista fresh. It really is a nice OS and with your hardware (3gb RAM, half-decent processor) it should run perfectly. Not 100% sure if your graphics card (I believe the GeForce 6150 is an integrated chip) supports Aero. You should probably look in to upgrading that anyway. Hell, for $75 you can get an 8500GT which is a low-end card of the current gen, or even for $99 you can get an 8600GT which is a hell of a lot better than your current chip and is just about as fast as the high-end cards of the previous generation.
      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
      ---A few minutes later---
      9:cool koen> you scorereseted
      9:Kim> UM
      9:Kim> i didn't
      9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
      9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
      9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
      9:pascone> lol?

Comment

I'd do what Ewan suggests and format the computer and do a clean install of Vista.
        Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Turn off User Account Control (UAC) if you find them annoying. (What I did)

By the way, UAC are those "dark-security-screens" you get asking if you want to Proceed blah blah... I dont even remember anymore because i took it out right away.

Google "How to turn of User Account Control in Vista" and you'll find tons of solutions for that.

But yes, I agree with what Ewan said, I like Vista
          AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

I've found the easiest way to get around (with most problems) on Vista is to 'right-click' the programs and 'Run as Administrator'.
            Vista sucks.

Comment

Try those tips.. if you're still dissatisfied.... there is always XP. I think Vista is a great system.. but not for what I wanted.
              truth about vets vs noobs [clickable]
              "...can we pretend I lag and you eat my burst?"
              Guy: What does that SS mean on your car?
              Me: Oh, it's the Subspace model. You know, bigger engine, level 3 bombs...

Comment

The first thing I did was take off Norton when I got the computer. It's a memory hog.

My router was causing the problem. I just reset it. Now everything works fine.

Thanks for telling me how get rid of the ask permission thing.

I apperciate everyone's posts and them taking the time to help me. E-Daps
                OBama/Biden 08

Comment

test

Comment

Working...
                  X