Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file sharing on win xp is driving me NUCKING FUTS

okay here's the deal.

i'm trying to set up some very basic file sharing for my sister. she's got a laptop that she uses at work, but also likes to bring home. it's on a domain and running xp pro.

she has a desktop at home that's running xp home, and therefore not on a domain. (as far as i know it's not possible to use domains on xp home?)

i can share folders (and printers for that matter) from the desktop and they're accessible from the laptop. i can not seem to figure out how to do the opposite, that is, share folders on the laptop and have them accessible from the desktop.

how the FUCK do i do this?
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Have you tried just right-clicking on the drives/folders you want shared and looking at the properties? I think if you start from there, you'll find clues. ^-^

Comment

i feel like saying something really snide in response to that, but i suppose you had no way of knowing that i'm not a total moron...
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Then there's always google

Comment

read through all of that documentation a few hours ago to no avail.

i think my problem boils down to either permissions or this shitty third party software the IT guys at my sister's work have installed.
          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

yo jay i haven't heard anything from u in like over a year and out of nowhere you post a random thing in tech support haha

Comment

i had this problem with my wifes uncles laptop and desktop, i could share fro laptop to pc but not pc to laptop, im pretty sure it has something to do with a password or maybe even your router? i cant remember, google it

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                yo jay i haven't heard anything from u in like over a year and out of nowhere you post a random thing in tech support haha
                i don't get out as much as i used to. :x
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

ping? <- ->
                  firewall?
                  2:Zung> Does this 2h mean 1h56 min foreplay & 3 pushes & a stare?
                  2:renzi> lol no
                  2:renzi> would fuck, blowjob/handjob, fuck, finger, etc

Comment

If you gave us more data on what you tried and what did and didn't work, we would know you weren't ignorant and could help you better.

For example, is the pc visible in the network neighborhood, and if so, can you access it at all? Can you ping it?
                    "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                      okay here's the deal.

how the FUCK do i do this?
                      I feel your pain...tried to share some folders of music at work. Didn't ever happen.

If I had to guess, it's something to do with the domain. Check/recheck Windows firewalls and any other firewalls. I don't know what else you can do. Maybe do an end-around past Windows and set up an ftp server.

EDIT: Thinking back, I remember some unrelated network problems were caused by IT installed firewalls. They installed BlackICE and there was no way to tell that it was running except checking processes. I found and installed an advanced version so I could actually see it running and control it. Check to see if there's something that needs to be killed. If that's the problem, there's probably nothing you can do since it's a work computer.

Comment

Working...
                      X