Vista to Xp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista to Xp questions

My sister just bought a new computer can I use her Xp disc on my lap top?

If yes then would I just pop in the disc and let it do its thing? Is there something I should do before changing operating systems?

Any other useful info I should need to know?

I'm doing this because Vista takes up too much RAM and that doesn't help me when I'm pvping in WoW for phat epix lewt.

Moved to Tech Support

I don't know if it will work but the CD is probably bundled with other applications and annoying crap because it's for a pre-built PC. You would probably be better off pirating (or buying) a copy of XP. Also make sure the copy you do find is compatible with your hardware, specifically your processor type (32 or 64) in relation to your copy of XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
      Moved to Tech Support

I don't know if it will work but the CD is probably bundled with other applications and annoying crap because it's for a pre-built PC. You would probably be better off pirating (or buying) a copy of XP. Also make sure the copy you do find is compatible with your hardware, specifically your processor type (32 or 64) in relation to your copy of XP.
      Well, to be honest, with XP you wanna steer clear of the 64-bit version. The 32 bit version will work fine.

2 things that need to be considered:

1. Is her disc actually an XP disk, or is it a "restore" or "reinstallation" disk? If it's one of the latter, I'm afraid you're out of luck because it won't actually have the installation files on, they will be stored in a hidden partition on your sister's laptop.

2. What is your reason for wanting to downgrade back to XP? Ok, if your computer has, say, 512mb - 1gb RAM and and/or an old processor, then fair enough, it'll struggle to run Vista. But if it's better than that, give it a chance. If it's a new computer and you're blaming Vista for being slow, then it's likely the fault of some preinstalled software. Try uninstalling stuff like Mcafee/Norton as these just bring even a high-end computer to its knees. But yeah, I'm not trying to stop you, just saying give Vista a chance.
      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
      ---A few minutes later---
      9:cool koen> you scorereseted
      9:Kim> UM
      9:Kim> i didn't
      9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
      9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
      9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
      9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Working...
      X