Continuum doesn't seem to want to boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuum doesn't seem to want to boot

So for some odd reason, Continuum suddenly decided to stop booting after I set my computer up for dual boot. (Originally had Vista, than setup my laptop to dual-boot XP also). Anyways, everything works fine in Vista, except for Continuum (hell the whole dual boot + continuum probably unrelated). Everytime I click the icon for Continuum (Continuum.exe or Continuum037.exe or Continuum038.exe or Continuum039pr1.exe) nothing happens. Like the mouse changes into the loading mouse very briefly, then nothing appears. Not to mention, even as I have task manager up on a side and double clicking the .exe, my processes don't even increase, it's as if I'm not clicking starting up the .exe at all. I've tried uninstalling Continuum then reinstalling, but that didn't help at all. Anyone got any advice for me? :/

Unfortunately that's a common problem. It's usually caused by a program preventing Continuum from starting normally. This program could be something in the direction of an anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware or firewall program.

Are you having problems only in Vista, XP or both?
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Hmm, well I have no anti-virus, no anti-spyware, no-adware, or firewall programs running, and Continuum still doesn't seem to want to start up in Vista

In fact, in XP everything works fine. I even tried booting the Continuum installed on my Vista partition using XP, and that worked too.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I have a feeling it has to do with one of the Vista updates (from Windows Updater) that I installed yesterday...

EDIT: No I can't use system restore to fix it either cause for some odd reason I have no previous system restores? -.-
      Last edited by Jhagoro; 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Maybe you have Windows DEP enabled

Windows XP Data Execution Protection
        Open up DEP and see if you have 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only', if so, check 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select'. Next add Continuum.exe to the list, and apply. Than you can go back to 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' if you'd like, and it will load fine.
        In the case for Vista, go into “Start > Computer > System Properties (button under the link bar) > Advanced System Settings (on the left navigation menu) > Performance (click settings)”. Now move over to the one that says “Data Execution Program”, and add Continuum to the list.

Hope this helps.
        Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
        -Buddha

Comment

That worked perfectly, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X