External HDD not reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HDD not reading

I have a 120gb external Simpletech HDD... it's powered by USB only (no power cord)..

Was working fine and now it isn't being picked up by my computer at all (or any other computer). The lights still flash and it sounds like it's working. I didn't drop it.

I'm just puzzled. I have trouble sifting any good advice from Google searches, thought maybe someone here had some experience with this kind of thing?

Most of it was backed up on my PC but there are some things I need that weren't backed up.... so my last resort will probably be to send it off to someone.
    truth about vets vs noobs [clickable]
    "...can we pretend I lag and you eat my burst?"
    Guy: What does that SS mean on your car?
    Me: Oh, it's the Subspace model. You know, bigger engine, level 3 bombs...

I used to have a similar problem until I found out that my USB hub was unpowered (extra power), connecting the power adapter fixed it.

Unfortunately you say you have the same problem at other computers so I doubt this is also your solution.
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Thanks anyways. I figured it was a longshot.. I guess it's time for a new hard drive.
      truth about vets vs noobs [clickable]
      "...can we pretend I lag and you eat my burst?"
      Guy: What does that SS mean on your car?
      Me: Oh, it's the Subspace model. You know, bigger engine, level 3 bombs...

Comment

I would try using some data recovery software to see if the HDD has gone bad, especially since it appears to be getting power. Western Digital and Acronis are my recommendations. Maybe try another cord if you can find one.
        The song doesn't make your hands clap,
        The hand claps make the song

Comment

Working...
        X