Speakers, Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers, Sound

When I watch videos or play music, it's a bit weird. I've changed all the settings back to default in my Realtek HD Audio Manager, but I still have the problem.

The problems:
    1) When watching a video, voices echo when someone speaks.
    2) Voices are rather low in sound compared to the other sounds going on in the video.

This happens in anything, a DVD, youtube, divx, etc.

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there's several "Environments" that I can choose from in the Sound Effects section. The one that best works for me is "Room" because it's the only one that increases the sounds of voices when people speak in videos for some reason. If I click "None" for environment, only the sound effects (feet moving, paper, typing on a keyboard, ect) play and there is NO voice sound when someone is talking.

Everything is configured correctly as far as I can tell.

Edit: I also tried seeing if it's because of a microphone feedback problem, but my mic's disconnected already, it's not plugged in. I also muted Microphone / Line In and still experience the problem
    Last edited by Xog; 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM.

Have you tried reinstalling / updating the realtek drivers (which includes the audio manager)?
    Maverick
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
    Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
    Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
    Subspace Statistics Administrator
    Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      Have you tried reinstalling / updating the realtek drivers (which includes the audio manager)?
      Yea, i also tried diff speakers and had the same problem. However my headset, which is usb doesnt have this problem, could it be the actual port i plug in to? I noticed that it's surrounded by metal, and when i tap the tip of the plug on the metal my speakers create a static noise

edit: nvm just remembered that it's not hardware related because the software i use changes how voices work..

i just can't figure out what setting it is, and i've tried resetting everything to default, uninstalling the software & reinstalling, updating, downgrading, tried different environments, and can't find any solution on the net any other similar problem is related to the microphone catching the sound and playing it back, thus making the "echo" noise, but my mic's completely unplugged! :\

edit2: I haven't tried to check if "Kareoke" mode was enabled or not by default, but I did just learn that it activates "Voice Cancellation and Key Shifting in Karaoke mode" .. will have to check that out when I get home later. Will post results
      Last edited by Xog; 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

update:

that does fix the echo problem but now I need to fix the problem of the voices being much lower than the other sounds. i read an example that was perfect before but nobody found the solution to his problem:

"in the movie there are two people talking to eachother and a helicopter comes down but it sounds like there's a helicopter in my living room so I can't even hear them speak"

not word for word but u get it

edit:
        just used ubuntu liveCD to see if it would work in linux.. nope! SAME problems.. is it possible my sound card is loose?
        Last edited by Xog; 12-10-2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I had this happen with one of my receivers for my speakers. I think I was trying to watch Finding Nemo and all I could hear were the sound effects and soundtrack, but could barely hear any dialogue.

Do you have any kind of surround-sound (5.1) setting enabled? If you are only have a 2.0/2.1 speaker system, I think it might be trying to filtering different sounds into your 2 speakers and the other sounds might be going to speakers that don't exist? I am not sure, but once I turned off any kind of surround sound setting on my receiver the speakers played the sound the way it was supposed to be played. Dunno how the menu for ubuntu's sound settings are but see what the speaker setup is for your computer.
          duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
            I had this happen with one of my receivers for my speakers. I think I was trying to watch Finding Nemo and all I could hear were the sound effects and soundtrack, but could barely hear any dialogue.

Do you have any kind of surround-sound (5.1) setting enabled? If you are only have a 2.0/2.1 speaker system, I think it might be trying to filtering different sounds into your 2 speakers and the other sounds might be going to speakers that don't exist? I am not sure, but once I turned off any kind of surround sound setting on my receiver the speakers played the sound the way it was supposed to be played. Dunno how the menu for ubuntu's sound settings are but see what the speaker setup is for your computer.
            I'm using XP for this system, and I understand where you're coming from - I thought this might be the problem but I can't find any way to bring it down to 2.0, I don't know where the settings are! Is it possible my sound card only uses 5.1+ ? The comp's only 6 months old, and I didn't have my speakers plugged in until now because it used to be in the living room when I was living with my parents.

As a side note, I have noticed that when I change settings using the sound card's software (Realtek HD Audio Manager) it doesn't reflect on Window's default sound pref. software.

Last night I did wind up making my way over to a part where I can choose how my speakers are set up / what kind of speakers they are (surround sound, connected to monitor, on the keyboard, desktop speakers, headphones, ect) and tried each one individually, and there was no change in sound for each one that I chose (and the speakers are the "Desktop Speakers" (two speakers on the table, on each side of the monitor))

edit:
            saving this link for when I get home
            http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/
            Last edited by Xog; 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Fixed the problem - I had to tweak around with the left/right speaker volume. My computer thinks I have a big surround sound system set up but I don't, and the software doesn't. but this seemed to fix it:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7606/volumef.jpg

and yes, the sound is actually equal in both speakers, lol

Comment

Eww, DivX?

You should download CCCP and use Windows Media Player Classic for movies / series. It's way better than DivX and could probably help with your sound issues (although it seems that you got your problem solved).

;o

Or new speakers! ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                  Eww, DivX?

You should download CCCP and use Windows Media Player Classic for movies / series. It's way better than DivX and could probably help with your sound issues (although it seems that you got your problem solved).

;o

Or new speakers! ha.
                  ninjavideo.net streams most videos through the DivX player (was watching Alice), and I tried two different sets of speakers and had the same problem, its the software for the sound card I believe.

Comment

Working...
                  X