Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Issues

So my connection has gone wacky lately.

I am averaging around 1000 ms, for no real reason. Even when I bypass the router and go straight local, I still average around the same.

I had the cable/internet company come, and he did his thing, and it was working great for literally only 15 minutes after he left. After that, it went back to it's same bullshit of 900-1100 ms.

Now whenever I reset it, I get a solid 30 ms on continuum, but only for a good minute, after that it dips off again.

Any suggestions? Perhaps switching my modem box itself?
    4:BigKing> xD
    4:Best> i'm leaving chat
    4:BigKing> what did i do???
    4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
    4:BigKing> ???? why though
    4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Do you use DSL, Cable, dial-up? What type of internet do you have?

Also, it sounds like if you have a wireless up, other people could be connecting to it right after it comes back up and their downloads would start again... but I would think the tech guy would have figured that out if that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Do you use DSL, Cable, dial-up? What type of internet do you have?

Also, it sounds like if you have a wireless up, other people could be connecting to it right after it comes back up and their downloads would start again... but I would think the tech guy would have figured that out if that was the case.
      lol the tech guy was a dumbass. I told him i pinged www.google.com at an average of 1200 ms, and the man looked at me like i had something on my face, so he had no clue what was going on, other then what he was trained to do (reset some bullshit with his electronic handheld thing).

I will try to get my cable/internet provider to change modem box itself.

Comment

Well there is a chance it's not the modem. In fact, if your modem is working at all, I don't think it's the modem. Here are the questions I have for you:

1) Have you tried hooking the modem directly to your computer or is it on the wireless router still?

2) What type of internet do you use(Example: DSL, Cable, Satellite, dial-up)?

These are the only questions I really need to know to help you I think.

If you have had it connected directly to the router(and the router is wireless), most likely other people are using your internet. It works fine for a minute after you reset the router because all the people using the wireless signal are automatically disconnected, then their computers automatically reconnect after they find the signal again.

Comment

(this works for most wireless routers)
          click: http://192.168.1.1

use admin for user and admin for password

set a password so that people have to enter that in to use your router or change it if you already have one set.

Comment

Just in case your router's IP isn't 192.168.1.1

3Com 192.168.1.1
            Apple 10.0.1.1
            Asus 192.168.1.1
            Belkin 192.168.2.1
            Buffalo 192.168.11.1
            Dell 192.168.1.1
            D-Link 192.168.0.1
            Linksys 192.168.0.1
            Microsoft 192.168.2.1
            Motorola 192.168.10.1
            MSI 192.168.1.254
            Netgear 192.168.0.1
            Senao 192.168.0.1
            SpeedTouch 10.0.0.138
            Trendnet 192.168.0.1
            U.S. Robotics 192.168.1.1
            Zyxel 192.168.1.1

Some vary slightly from that, but that is your general list for router IP addresses.

Comment

There could be many reasons why your wireless isn't working well but it's kind of tough to tell from behind my own PC screen. A few possible reasons:

Some ISPs limit the amount of bandwidth their customers can use per time unit and if you exceed this you could see lower connection speeds. So if you're torrenting, this may be the issue. I know HughesNet does this, and they call it the "Fair Access Policy."

Is there something that could interrupt the signal? Is the signal strength at least average? As someone had said, you should make sure that nobody is stealing your internet. Figure out the place where you can see all the connections to your wireless. And of course, make sure there is a good path between your computer, router, and modem.

You may find trends in your connection speed according to the time of day, so I would look for that if you're going to continue talking with your ISP. I'd run a virus scan also. Otherwise, it's probably your ISP if you have tried hooking up the modem directly to the PC only to see the same slow speed.
              2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
              Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
              Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
              Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
              1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Comment

rofl i think just figured out what it was.

Veloce was right, i uninstalled morpheus, but the shit was actually still running in the background. It wasnt even being noticed by the task manager or even in my active icons on the bottom right near the time. Apparently windows 7 likes to hide really active programs or I have a virus that is keeping these things around because I've never seen this on my vista or xp.

Anyways, thanks for the help boys.

Comment

Working...
                X