Random Disconnection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Disconnection!

After playing a little while in any arena I randomly get disconnected from the server.FOR NO REASON! My friends still play please help!
    SeXaY MaN! :-D

This has happend to many people so you aren't alone. I suggest you run an Anti-Virus program like Norton. Then make sure when you are playing no programs are running that you do not need. And also make sure no processes are running that you do not need. A simple way to make sure of that is to push Ctrl + Alt + Del
    Just make sure everything you dont need is not open. That may help it may not. It might just be your connection freezing which happend to me a while ago when i had my old pos computer.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
    1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
    1:Freeze> LOL FAR
    ---
    5:waven> freeze
    5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
    5:waven> you state your business with sanji
    5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
    5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
    5:waven> and i will talk to ease
    5:Freeze> LOL
    5:waven> that's how things work around here
    --
    1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Re: Random Disconnection!

Originally posted by catatstrophe
      After playing a little while in any arena I randomly get disconnected from the server.FOR NO REASON! My friends still play please help!
      Are you all connected through the same hub or do you have a switch?
      Originally posted by Diakka
      Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

If you and your friends are playing off the same router or hub there might not be enough bandwith sharded in your network to play. If one of your friends happens to be using other applications taking a great ammount of bandwith like Kazaa, then it could dissconnect you from the server. If the connection for your shared network is a cable modem 10 mb, it is probably caped at 1mb or lower. Try reboot all computers and devices in your network (Ie routers, hubs and computers).

At 12 % packetloss you will get dissconnected from the server. Have you been able to play normaly before without getting disconnected or have any problems with lag or packetloss?

A staff member told me this a while ago, maybe it has changed since then. Maybe I misinterpreted it. But its not very relevant to his current problem .

If you are not on a shared network with your friends, theres a number of reasons why you could be dissconnected from the server.

1. An application on your computer could be taking up too much bandwith causing you to be dissconnected. Close all programs running accept Continuum and even use Clt Alt Delete to make sure no programs are running in the background. Run continuum for a while and see if you get dissconnected. If it is a application you dont want to remove but you don't want to startup when you reboot, goto start, run and type msconfig. Goto the start up tab and remove the tabs beside the applications you dont want running.

2. A router to the server could be not properly working. On the main window of Continuum click on trace while the tw server is highlighted, if any of the bars are red then either a router/routers in your ISP's network or a network on the way to the server are experencing problems or are being worked on. If you have made sure no programs are causing problems with your connection and all the hardware is configured properly then you should call your ISP and make them aware of your situation.

3. You could also try Adaware (find it at download.com and virus scan theres free ones on the web) even though I dout it is the problem, adware could be using up your downstream bandwith. It's also a good idea to do these tests anyways.
        Last edited by Kolar; 08-05-2003, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
          At 12 % packetloss you will get dissconnected from the server.
          That is actually inaccurate, at least for the TW server. A few weeks ago I sometimes had 15%+ ploss, and I wasn't disconnected. The ploss limit for pubs is something around 14%; after that you are locked in spec.
          sdg

Comment

Stabwound is correct. I had 92.5% ploss one time, and I was not disconnected. I was just locked in spec, and could barely make out people's movements. I also doubt that there isn't enough bandwidth for continuum for two clients. If you are using a router/hub, that probably means you have some sort of broadband connection regardless if it's capped or not. Even if your connection is lower than 1 mbit (which I doubt) it shouldn't knock one of you off the server. You really should specify your internet connection, instead of leaving us guessing. In fact, I think that should apply to everyone. If you visit any sort tech forums, people who post their problems post their info on their computer relevant to what they are having problems with. Being too general just leaves everyone guessing. This could have lost of possibilities, but we can't determine them by general statements such as "I get disconnected and he doesn't." What do you use to share your internet connection with your friend? A router, hub, crossover method? Things like these would help. Since you haven't specified, I'll say it, but it will sound a bit silly. Are you two logging in as different names or the same name? If you are bothing trying to log in the same name, you can't and will kick off the other person when person #2 logs in. Again, it sounds silly, but could be one of many possibilities.

Comment

Agreed Arc. Theres almost no infomation to use to determine the problem much less give a solution. Maybe someone could make a sticky for first time posters in the tech forum. As for the 12 % ploss it was an error on my part, you get specced at 12 % not dissconnected :\. Most cable modems are capped at atleast 1.5 mb or lower.
              Last edited by Kolar; 08-05-2003, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X