X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuum Open Source?

Hello,

I'm gaming TW alot's of a time, but i miss a feature, being:

When you want to speak somebody private, you always have do :nickname: .

It would be bether to have something like :a (you now press tab) and you can go through all the users beginning with a.

I'm prepared to code it myself, but the question is: is continuum opensource and if: where can i find the code?

Sincerly

VUBGabberatski

Licensed to Lanc
    A trained Lancaster is not a noob...

or not ofcourse...
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Re: Continuum Open Source?

Originally posted by gabberatski
      Hello,

It would be bether to have something like :a (you now press tab) and you can go through all the users beginning with a.

I'm prepared to code it myself, but the question is: is continuum opensource and if: where can i find the code?

Sincerly

VUBGabberatski

Licensed to Lanc
      You know you can keep pressing ":" to scroll through the last... I think it's five?.. pm responses? I don't think you'd be adding any convenience the way you're describing this. The billing server handles a lot of traffic as is, but it's mostly passive, this seems like the kind of active searching that could cause a big performance hit. No offense or anything, but I just don't think the costs outweigh the added value. If that person actually wants a convo with you, you won't have to type out their name more than once anyway.

It's all kind of moot, since I do believe the continuum source is restricted.

Comment

No,

User list is of the active room is buffered on your local machine.

I thought i once owned the source code from continuum 1.35 or so

but lost it.

Where is actually the main site of continuum program itself?

Comment

I highly doubt you had the Continuum source. If you did, you got it illegally or something. I guarantee that PriitK would NEVER publicly release the source code. The main reason it was coded was to stop the rampant cheating. Releasing the source would just bring 1000000x new cheatings and hacks into the game.
          sdg

Comment

No,
            User list is of the active room is buffered on your local machine.

I thought i once owned the source code from continuum 1.35 or so
            well, if you want to pm someone in the active room, what's wrong with ticking their name and using "/"? There was no "continuum" 1.35, you may have the source to Subspace 1.35 though. That was released by VIE waaaayyy back when, but the client has changed a lot since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
              I highly doubt you had the Continuum source. If you did, you got it illegally or something. I guarantee that PriitK would NEVER publicly release the source code. The main reason it was coded was to stop the rampant cheating. Releasing the source would just bring 1000000x new cheatings and hacks into the game.

Or you code it right and not the microsoft way

Comment

Originally posted by wadi
                well, if you want to pm someone in the active room, what's wrong with ticking their name and using "/"? There was no "continuum" 1.35, you may have the source to Subspace 1.35 though. That was released by VIE waaaayyy back when, but the client has changed a lot since then.

Oh, subspace, that can indeed be the thing i had.

Try to type AVeryLongNicknameWithStrangeCharacters during flight.

Typing "A" and tabbing ones or twice is more appropiate

Comment

You don't have to type the full name either. Say you want to message a person named AVeryLongNicknameWithStrangeCharacters

You could do

:Averyl: Hello.
                  sdg

Comment

or just tick the player, /message and after he replys do ::message
                    5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                    5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                    5: Da1andonly> =((
                    5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                    5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                    5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Or just get friends whit persons with short nicknames

Comment

Question: Will Subspace (or any part of it) ever be open sourced?

Answer(by ZippyDan): No. This would create serious sercurity breaches. Subspace is a client-based game, and so by its very nature precludes open-sourcing. If you don't understand the concept of client-based games then it is more difficult for you to understand why it can never be open-sourced.

To put it succinctly, each client makes its own decisions about what happens in the game; the server merely sends those decisions to other clients. This results in extremely efficient processing in a massively multiplayer online game, since each client does its own work instead of the server doing the work of many clients (this is what makes a server-based system for Subspace unfeasible: the load on the server would be too great, and, if it could be handled, would severely curtail the number of zones that could be hosted on each machine). However, it also means that were someone to know how the client makes its decisions, and how it tells the server what its decisions are, they would be able to do practically anything.

For example, if you had Continuum's source, you could easily determine how it calculates damage. Add a couple characters of code, and suddenly your client only takes half as much damage as everyone else's. This is the problem we currently face: many people have figured out how the client works, allowing them to cheat. We plan to solve this problem with Continuum and make the client work differently (by changing the game protocols). Releasing the source code would be creating the problem all over again
                        YOU ARE THE 1,000,000,000TH VISITOR IN MY SIG!
                        Click here to receive your price!

Comment

In other words, if you had access to the source, you could be Neo and go all Matrix-style on everyone else.

Comment

I'm interested in the core of the source code that makes the game all possible. The specifics of the protocal to this game, don't interest me. I would have no interest in making a cheat client, cause what is the point?

Continuum TRAINER-Version... being invinsible... would be totally boring and take out the fun/challenge of the game.

I'm just curious if anyone knows of good links to explain how the universal concept of how the multiuser client/server core works?

If I had more time, it would be interesting to experiment trying to make a slightly different game. I just find virtual world gaming environments quite fascinating, and love the 2D retro arcade game style to this game; playability is just perfect.

Only other game of this genre that I know which is most likely open sourced is the game Xpilot for UNIX. But I think it is totally inefficient as compared to this game throughput. This game is similiar in respect to 2d multiuser spaceship game, but a tad bit different and not very user friendly (almost the whole keyboard is used for many different commands).

I sometimes wonder if Xpilot inspired the original Subspace developers, since I believe Xpilot was first made as an university project back around 1990.

gamedevelopers.net had some interesting articles on sockets, client/server theory, or multiuser/multicasting games.

But yes, you make sense to me, there would be people out there making cheats, no doubt just to goof around/cheat/cause trouble.
                            And agree an complete open source of this game would be bad.

Just would be cool if the game engine or a 2D Multiuser Game Construction library existed so others could make variations of this game concept. It is interesting how some zones try their best to make a different game style (like Metal Gear, Desert Storm, Super Mario Karts), but mainly just change cosmetics/graphics..etc

From what I understand prittk re-engineered what Virgin made, now we have the wonderful continuum client; much thanks to him.
                            I'm not sure if Virgin handed him the source code, or was one of the Main Programmers on the Virgin Software Team. I'm sure some where on the web it explains all this history.

Comment

Re: Continuum Open Source?

Hello,

Sincerly

VUBGabberatski

Licensed to Lanc
                              or.... you could pull a microsoft and reverse engineer the app and it that way
                              ÛñD@úÑ7è[) {+NtF+}
                              Like a diamond, OUR game has no FLAWS!
                              http://lindun7edntf.proboards26.com/index.cgi
                              ---------------------------------

British <E> lagged push ?
                              Utoom> double teamed
                              Random Sho> SPAWNED!
                              TranceTune> errrr
                              THE PUSHER> naw..even worse
                              THE PUSHER> stoned

Comment

Working...