Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppiness and other problems

Hey all,
    I play TW pretty much religiously, and have been since Subspace's inception back in 1995, but recently I've been having a very odd problem.
    The other day I went to play TW, using the same crappy connection I always use, when I noticed I was suffering from unnaturally high packet loss and a severe loss of frames. My computer is pretty decent, AMD XP 2 ghz with 398 RAM and an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro, but for some crazy reason whenever I fly into the base or anywhere with a small amount of graphics on my screen, the game slows down, not lag, but actual slowdown.
    The only thing I've done differently is allowed my girlfriend to play from her side of WinXP, ie: using her desktop preferences etc. Once I got back in it seemed like I was running on a 386dx with a 2 meg video card!
    Any help would be much appreciated.

What color depth are you running?
    What res are you running?
    What refresh rate are you running?
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

1024x960x8, 60hz

Comment

try bumping up your refresh rate, remember to tick the box that says "only display the rates my monitor can handle" or whatever and see if it helps

Comment

1) Your name rocks.
          2) Are you running .39 prerelease1, or .38?
          3) A reinstall has saved many problems for me, see if it helps.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Turn off No framerate limit, and turn on Avoid Page Flipping. It's in View --> Advanced options after the splashscreen.

should work.
            Last edited by Xog; 12-23-2003, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Recently, I have had normal ping rates, and don't really have a connection problem.

My problem or major annoyance?

Ok, I play the game for a while, but every so often I get a complete slowdown on my client side (not connection) just on graphics update.

Basically, I hear the hard-drive being access to load up some audio f/x or running something in the background.

I use Windows ME, perhaps the OS is doing some maintance tasks.

I don't have a Virus Scanner running, nor do I have any System Scheduled task running either.

Most of the time things are smooth, just out of a blue I get this hard-drive access happening and it freezes the screen for like 1-2secs and then comes back. This happens like usually every 1hrs or so, not entirely sure exact time it happens, seems random.

This really sucks if I'm doing in middle of elim/twdd, especially in the heat of battle.

Anyone else have this same problem? How do you stop this?

I suspect it is virtual memory paging, but I do have 64megs RAM; I don't think this game requires tons of memory.

And I don't run any big application in the background, no email, internet explorer..word.. or Anti--VIrus. I just run this client, nothing else.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Comment

I recently downloaded Ad-aware, turns out I had a bunch of malware running in the background, I'm having no more problems, thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                X