Magi's Map Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magi's Map Idea

Hey, Magi, can you repost whatever info you had about that circular jav baseelim map idea?

Here are the question I wanted to ask you about the map itself:

1) Is your goal for it to replace TWLJ map? Or make it into a separate event map?
    2) I have sorta thought about the idea and mapped out some stuff ... you tell me how many entrances should there be in order to get INTO the base? ... from what I've drawn out ... it looks like a minimum of 8 entrances and maybe a max of 16?
    3) I looked at the diagram you drew ... you basically have only a left and right spawn area ... was this done on purpose to sorta have 2 teams spawn in diff areas? You'll prob hafta answer question #1 first ... wouldn't it be better suited for baseelim or jav events to have a square arena with a circlular base right in the middle so you can spawn anywhere OUTSIDE the circular base? <-- is this possible to do?
    4) I assume the whole circular base will be radially symmetrical? Or does it matter? Bc if you use your diagrammed map ... i only has to have 1 plane of symmetry vertically cutting through the middle.

I actually have more questions to ask you after you answer the above.

Also to anyone who's interested in helping me out with creating this jav map ... I'm looking into creating some innovative 'JAV BLOCK PATTERNS' ... when I mean innovative, I mean I want something fresh and new and perhaps never done before. But if you have any interesting jav block patterns ... diagram it up here and post it with perhaps some notes (give a name to it and perhaps specify how many ship lengths or block lengths everything is)
    ... also give in some interesting ideas you have.

Here's an example I have: Use warp doors in order to create "temporary walls" for jav shots. I dunno if this would be a good idea bc u might be warped ... but like I said I'd like some discussion. The warp doors could be a block or two wide to prevent javs from being warped or something.

Originally posted by MaGi kOz
    would be great if we had new maps:

twld : make the map smaller or make the map a circle instead of rectangle; oval maybe.

twlj : change the whole map. create two spawn areas and a circle base with no phsyical boundaries that can keep the player out of the base. we want the defending players having trouble entering base INSIDE not outside- unlike your typical pub map:

that would be interesting.

Comment

Re: Magi's Map Idea

Originally posted by Sufficient
      Hey, Magi, can you repost whatever info you had about that circular jav baseelim map idea?

Here are the question I wanted to ask you about the map itself:

1) Is your goal for it to replace TWLJ map? Or make it into a separate event map?
      2) I have sorta thought about the idea and mapped out some stuff ... you tell me how many entrances should there be in order to get INTO the base? ... from what I've drawn out ... it looks like a minimum of 8 entrances and maybe a max of 16?
      3) I looked at the diagram you drew ... you basically have only a left and right spawn area ... was this done on purpose to sorta have 2 teams spawn in diff areas? You'll prob hafta answer question #1 first ... wouldn't it be better suited for baseelim or jav events to have a square arena with a circlular base right in the middle so you can spawn anywhere OUTSIDE the circular base? <-- is this possible to do?
      4) I assume the whole circular base will be radially symmetrical? Or does it matter? Bc if you use your diagrammed map ... i only has to have 1 plane of symmetry vertically cutting through the middle.
      1) It doesn't really matter. Making it into a seperate event map would suffice but turning it into the new TWLJ/TWJD map would be even better.
      2) 8 entrances seem fine. That is, 8 on each side which would total 16. More entrances means the easier it is to get inside base.
      3) That was the idea- to create two spawn areas which will reduce spawning almost to none or even eliminate spawn killing completely. I would agree that having a square arena with a circlular base in the middle so you can spawn anywhere outisde the circular base would be better but I wouldn't think it would be possible even with the bots we have. But who knows. If the bot programmers are willing to put more time and effort into it, they probably CAN.
      4) I was thinking of having it cut through like slices of pizza. That diagram I have is just a quick example.

Can I see what you have so far? It would be nice.

Comment

So do any javvers care whether or not I use warp doors as "temporary walls" or just try it out?

Comment

So do any javvers care whether or not I use warp doors as "temporary walls" or just try it out?

as being one myself, I care. I'd rather not have 'em. but here is an idea for it anyways. =p

Comment

Few more questions:

1) Would you rather see smooth diagonals or staircase diagonals? (I think smooth is more aestetically pleasing but the stairs are more skill based sorta / easy to understand)
            2) I was thinking about including some asteroids in the jav base (both big asteroids and small ones) ... yes or no?
            3) The spawn area outside the base ... should it have asteroids or any objects?
            4) I was debating on the entrances ... and should they be the same size opening ... or should some entrances into the base be smaller than others?

As of now I'm gonna aim this as being a jav event / jav automated event if possible. Also I'm planning on designing the map to be multipurposed, not just for jav baseelim (perhaps for some stationary flagging jav battles for pts etc) ... that's why I'm including some flags.
            Last edited by Sufficient; 12-26-2003, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I have never worked with warp doors ... does anyone know if the timing of the opening and closing of the doors can be set or synchronized somehow?

Comment

Few more questions:

1) Would you rather see smooth diagonals or staircase diagonals? (I think smooth is more aestetically pleasing but the stairs are more skill based sorta / easy to understand)
                2) I was thinking about including some asteroids in the jav base (both big asteroids and small ones) ... yes or no?
                3) The spawn area outside the base ... should it have asteroids or any objects?
                4) I was debating on the entrances ... and should they be the same size opening ... or should some entrances into the base be smaller than others?

As of now I'm gonna aim this as being a jav event / jav automated event if possible. Also I'm planning on designing the map to be multipurposed, not just for jav baseelim (perhaps for some stationary flagging jav battles for pts etc) ... that's why I'm including some flags.

1) smooth diagonals. they're both the same thing, people are just too stupid to realize it. and plus. it's aestetically pleasing.
                2) no. they're just like regular tiles except they rotate like an asteroid and look like an asteroid.
                3) sure. why not?
                4) debating who? oh well. middle entrances largest. entrances on sides smallest. not too small though. 4tiles wide would be a good small size. nothing smaller.

JAVUFC? This can even make it easier on hosters that are trying to keep the players from spawning each other in JAVUFC and such.

I have never worked with warp doors ... does anyone know if the timing of the opening and closing of the doors can be set or synchronized somehow?
                They can be set to random, which is set with the bot. I think the setting for random is -1. To open all doors, you use a setting of 0. To close all, 255. There is a certain detail to open certain doors. 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 are your given tileset doors. to open a certain set of doors, you must map out that door as all of door tile-16 for example. You just give the bot the command to open doors 16 and only those doors will open. I'm not really sure if that's how it is. IT's been a while from being on staff so I forgot. Ask around.
                Last edited by MaGi kOz; 12-26-2003, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Magi's Map Idea

Can I see what you have so far? It would be nice.

Comment

I'm at home and not in college right now ... so a 56k and with no map program and stuff is not very helpful. Expect something in 2 weeks Magi.

After reading your post about warp doors I think it might be too complicated (for now) to implement them into this jav map.

Hey Magi, can you explain JAVUFC to me? ... I don't remember what that was about / how to play / rules.

Btw we have the same bdays Oct 29 O_o.
                    Last edited by Sufficient; 12-26-2003, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Magi ... I need some suggestions on dimensions of the base ... I counted javufc ... and it's 195 x 195 blocks. To me, javufc is a bit on the crowded side (as in too many block patterns inside the base ... you agree or no?) ... I'd like to maybe make a javbase that is just a little bigger than javufc. To me baseelim and twlj seem to have fairly good spacing of block patterns (what's ur opinion).

Baseelim is 289 x 93 when FULLY extended. When NOT fully extended ... it is 165 x 93.

One of the features I would like to sorta incoorporate is to make the outer areas of the base more block tight and the inner areas more open. To me, this would encourage ppl to take control of center and play there, rather than be trapped and cramped in the outer rims of the map. Sorta drawing the focus towards the center of the arena. Looks like I'll have 8 entrances btw Magi.

I need estimates on what is the optimum capacity of players for arenas such as javufc and baseelim. Could you throw out some #'s or perhaps range of #'s?

Also Epi, Thorn ... can I use your tileset? And I'm sorta basing my map off of Tera's javufc map ... so is that ok Tera? (my map will be a bit different but I used your map to get dimensions and other important info)
                      Last edited by Sufficient; 01-10-2004, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Magi ... I need some suggestions on dimensions of the base ... I counted javufc ... and it's 195 x 195 blocks. To me, javufc is a bit on the crowded side (as in too many block patterns inside the base ... you agree or no?) ... I'd like to maybe make a javbase that is just a little bigger than javufc. To me baseelim and twlj seem to have fairly good spacing of block patterns (what's ur opinion).

Baseelim is 289 x 93 when FULLY extended. When NOT fully extended ... it is 165 x 93.

One of the features I would like to sorta incoorporate is to make the outer areas of the base more block tight and the inner areas more open. To me, this would encourage ppl to take control of center and play there, rather than be trapped and cramped in the outer rims of the map. Sorta drawing the focus towards the center of the arena. Looks like I'll have 8 entrances btw Magi.

I need estimates on what is the optimum capacity of players for arenas such as javufc and baseelim. Could you throw out some #'s or perhaps range of #'s?

Also Epi, Thorn ... can I use your tileset? And I'm sorta basing my map off of Tera's javufc map ... so is that ok Tera? (my map will be a bit different but I used your map to get dimensions and other important info)

since the base will only incorporate about 1/3 of the map, why not make a small base at the very top, a big base in the middle, and a third large base at the very bottom.

don't make outer areas packed more. We want to encourage use of the WHOLE BASE.

I'd say an optimum capacity of baseelim would be about 20 for maximum enjoyment. anymore would turn into a lame shit fest.

javufc was only meant to be played with up to 4 players in at once. I think.

Comment

since the base will only incorporate about 1/3 of the map, why not make a small base at the very top, a big base in the middle, and a third large base at the very bottom.
                          I don't understand this part ... aren't we doin the whole circular javbase? ... I don't get the whole top, middle, bottom thing.

It'd be nice if you could give me exact dimensions =).

Comment

small examples: ?go thejetsons, ?go journey

Comment

Magi ... the foundations are set ... but I need some suggestions on where to expand to and what choices to make with the block patterns. Can I send the map to you to take a look at?

Probably 50% is done since I tried to maintain similar block patterns from twjl and baseelim.

Can you forum pm me ur email addy or something?

Btw ... the redx blocks are where the flags will be ... for some reason the tileset doesn't have a flag (is there something I can do about this?). Def 4 flags in the center and at least 4 more flags in the outer areas (I'll aim for 12-20 flags total).

^ for any special jav-flag events.

8 entrances it looks like.

And the diagram you showed above ... I sorta wanna only do 1 base for 1 map ... at least for now. As you said ... I think we're aiming for 4 teams of 5 javs which equals 20 total. I dunno ... since there will be 8 entrances ... should be try to optimize the map with a range of 20-40 players total? ... basically 5 players per entrance.

I'm planning on octagoning out the base and adding 8 safeties maybe ... in case this ppl want a host to have a formal event with safeties and all.
                              Last edited by Sufficient; 01-13-2004, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X