Internet Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer

I have resently been having problems with IE. It takes forever to load up. I go to hotmail and I have a 2 min wait time. Even longer with ebay. And it usally won't even load up my home page, due to having a time out error.

I clicked on IE to load up and then brought up netscape which loaded up in no time at all. And even with my home page it loads up in no time.

I am on Cable and know how long it used to take and its no where near as fast now.

I tried going to the windows update site to see if I needed a new ver of it but I cant load that screen either. I am lost at what to do.

Can any one out there help me?
    "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

What kind of processing card do you have? How much space is left on your hard drive?

Comment

Tried scanning your computer for spyware?

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button

Run an adaware scan, having spyware installed will often slow down loading of internet explorer. Make sure you click the globe icon to update your reference files so you'll pick up all the up to date stuff. oh and don't remove anything listed as new.net. If you remove that using adaware, your internet connection will most probably stop working. If you go to the relevant directory on your hard drive new.net comes with it's own uninstaller.

Hope that helps
      Robo Ref> No.1 Rating: 17639(+-97) Wins:6 Games:35 Kills:371 Deaths:146 Ave:6988

Comment

As for xog....I have toons of space left on the drive.

And Nimbo I do an adaware scan once a week.

Comment

Hrm... Tried reinstalling IE/scanning with hijackthis?
          Robo Ref> No.1 Rating: 17639(+-97) Wins:6 Games:35 Kills:371 Deaths:146 Ave:6988

Comment

If that doesn't work, reinstalling windows always does. If you don't want to do that, I suggest switching over to Mozilla or Opera. Both have some minor problems with complex javascript through......

Comment

have you gone to
              tools/internet options

clear cookies
              clear temp internet files
              clear history

go to the connections tab
              and click on LAN settings
              make sure nothing is checked, unless you know your server uses a proxy server for sure

if Netscape is working properly, then your IE is corrupt

depending on your operating system you might have to re-install internet explorer, or if you are in win XP you can go to add/remove programs and click on "Windows components"

uncheck internet explorer, then recheck it again after, it will kind of uninstall it and reinstall it

past that...contact your windows support people
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

Usually a problem like that comes from a screw up at your ISP or with their DNS server.
                sdg

Comment

not if netscape is loading fine stab....

if netscape couldnt load either, then maybe isp, but not if its loading fine

its an IE issue
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

Right, sorry. I just read the first part.

Anyways, you can't use WindowsUpdate with Netscape, and I'm pretty sure Windows won't let you uninstall IE, so you will have to download IE. Here is the direct link

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...p1/default.asp

And yeah, do what Boss said. Make sure there is nothing in the LAN setting. I have had a few rogue programs try to put a proxy or something in there, and it totally screws up your browser if that proxy server is down or not working.

Good luck...
                    sdg

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                      Right, sorry. I just read the first part.

Anyways, you can't use WindowsUpdate with Netscape, and I'm pretty sure Windows won't let you uninstall IE, so you will have to download IE. Here is the direct link

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...p1/default.asp

And yeah, do what Boss said. Make sure there is nothing in the LAN setting. I have had a few rogue programs try to put a proxy or something in there, and it totally screws up your browser if that proxy server is down or not working.

Good luck...
                      I have tried doing the windows update but that wont work either..... However I will try the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshawk
                        have you gone to
                        tools/internet options

clear cookies
                        clear temp internet files
                        clear history

go to the connections tab
                        and click on LAN settings
                        make sure nothing is checked, unless you know your server uses a proxy server for sure

if Netscape is working properly, then your IE is corrupt

depending on your operating system you might have to re-install internet explorer, or if you are in win XP you can go to add/remove programs and click on "Windows components"

uncheck internet explorer, then recheck it again after, it will kind of uninstall it and reinstall it

past that...contact your windows support people
                        Just did all that stuff and nothing. Maybe if I do a reboot now tho.

Comment

I just did a speed test and that doesnt seem to be the problem either. Also my parents have the same ISP and there home page is crazy to load as well.

heres the link for the speed test
                          http://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check...45.14285714286

Comment

well that speed test is huge if its real lol

no speed issues there

is it just the homepage that loads slow? or all the pages?

if its just the homepage, then id say its an issue with something on the page

you never said what version of windows?

if its not XP, you can "repair" the browser

go to start/settings/control panel

click on add/remove programs

find Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet tools

click on remove

this will pop a window with 3 choices, click on the one that says repair

it will repair and then restart the pc

but if you have IE 6 on an XP this is not possible, you have to do what i said in the earlier post about unchecking and rechecking the IE in the windows components

gluck
                            Last edited by Bosshawk; 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshawk
                              well that speed test is huge if its real lol

no speed issues there

is it just the homepage that loads slow? or all the pages?

if its just the homepage, then id say its an issue with something on the page

you never said what version of windows?

if its not XP, you can "repair" the browser

go to start/settings/control panel

click on add/remove programs

find Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet tools

click on remove

this will pop a window with 3 choices, click on the one that says repair

it will repair and then restart the pc

but if you have IE 6 on an XP this is not possible, you have to do what i said in the earlier post about unchecking and rechecking the IE in the windows components

gluck

Its almost like it has trouble finding the home page which is www1.sympatico.ca

I have XP pro
                              and I will try the removing stuff thingie

Comment

Working...
                              X