are any of you networking gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are any of you networking gurus?

Ok so I am here sitting in my dorm room..Dorm advertises 3 ethernet jacks in the wall..there is only two so I put in my router..eh no big deal. The router gets an ip, and each computer accesses the internet (Whatismyip.com says each computer has the same IP), yet when you check the status of each computers connection, each computer has an IP that differs in the last portion of the address.

router in use is BEFSR41 V3 Linksys, there are a few problems...

Problem one...Computers cannot share files/printing with eachother on the network, but can view eachother on occasion. Says some stuff about not having proper access. Firewalls are disabled, File sharing enabled, network wizards ran...hmm??

Problem two...I believe this problem stems from the IP situation. Other computers in the dorm LAN cannot connect to the games hosted from computers in my lil dormroom network. Can't even located them for that matter.

So maybe the schools network runs DHCP and the router shouldnt be running its own DHCP? ugh i dont know where to begin..just spewing junk out, thanks for any input~~
    I agree.

maybe it's like....a cable..aaaa..like...aaa..is in the wrong place..aa maybe..

Comment

Which operating systems are installed on each PC?
      Could you post the ipconfig (winipcfg for non-NT Windows versions) results for each computer (ip, subnetmask, gateway) and the router settings (ip, subnetmask).
      The DHCP service of the router shouldn't be interfering with the school network's DHCP server. Most propably it's just a matter of forwarding the correct set of ports from your router to the machine running the game server. If you do not know the correct set of ports (though you could find out easily enough), try placing the machine in your router's DMZ for the moment (i say for the moment, because the DMZ leaves it virtually unprotected from attack).
      Last edited by Fallen Angel; 01-15-2004, 06:36 PM.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

The router is not the problem, unless you took a hammer and whacked it into pieces.

1.) If the OS are the same, and your running XP, try configuring each of the Workgroups to the same one. It's under control panel: system: computer name.

2.) The other computers can't connect to yours because of the above ^, most games rely on the other computers to access certain data.

I'm not a networking genious, but I do have a 8 computer lan with wireless points all over the house running perfect ;-)

Comment

first off, since I stated two problems, I am not positive which problems yuo all are troubleshooting...but anyway

2 machines running XP Pro, one running XP home.

random junk:

-port 6112 or whatever the starcraft port is, is being fowarded to each PC.

-they can see eachother in the workgroup, but cannot view shared files.
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by banzi fuq
            first off, since I stated two problems, I am not positive which problems yuo all are troubleshooting...but anyway

2 machines running XP Pro, one running XP home.

random junk:

-port 6112 or whatever the starcraft port is, is being fowarded to each PC.

-they can see eachother in the workgroup, but cannot view shared files.
            You should atleast get a ping response from both machines at all times. If that's the case, but you can't access any of the shares, check to see if the user you login with exist on both machines, and has the correct rights to the shares on each machine.

I've got a WinXP - Win98SE network (connected thru a DrayTek Vigor 2200E router) and always experience trouble with the unavailibiliy of shares while working on the Win98SE system, and attempt access via Network Neighbourhood. However, when I manually create a drivemapping by IP-adress or connect thru a third party tool (e.g. Remote Administrator) it always works just fine.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

use the local ip with your computers to connect to each other when playing lan or internet games, the one you can see in your computer's options, not the one that something like whatismyip.com reports
              jee

Comment

Re: are any of you networking gurus?

Problem one...Computers cannot share files/printing with eachother on the network, but can view eachother on occasion. Says some stuff about not having proper access. Firewalls are disabled, File sharing enabled, network wizards ran...hmm??
                Option 1: Make sure your computers specify which computer it is allowing to file share with. You can select the folder and check the properties to see if they are allowed to be shared. If not, check some of your options in your Control Panel-> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policies and make sure that some of the options allow you to file share.

Option 2: Get a hub. But your router should work though.

Problem two...I believe this problem stems from the IP situation. Other computers in the dorm LAN cannot connect to the games hosted from computers in my lil dormroom network. Can't even located them for that matter.
                [/B]
                Number 1: Your Net IP is different from your network IP. If your network IP is 192.168.x.x and they are different from each other, then that is a result of a network between your computers. Your IP to the outside world should be another number.

Number 2: Make sure you can get Internet working from either computer firstly and to see if your Router is performing its duty by sending the correct data through the correct path to the correct computer.

Option 1: Read through your router manual and/or check the router's site. You could even look for more information on networking through Google or other Technical Service forums that specialize in this stuff.

Option 2: Find a security site or hacker site that will show you tutorials on the networking.

Option 3: Run around your dormroom three times. Drink a glass of water. Go pee. Eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Then go outside walk around a park for a half hour. Finally landing yourself into a bench under a tree where you sit beside a man reading a newspaper. Then... well, sorry to waste your time.

Comment

paging concreteschylyrd to thread 8569
                  Animol> the solution for crimelization is openetion of heartization
                  Moltenrock> STOP TALKING TO MY TEAMMMATE ASSHOLE

Comment

Working...
                  X