Virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus?

My bro said he was on a site to check out rabbit breaders in his area. (He's a 12 year old 4-H rabbit guru) The site had a warning about pop-ups and then he claims that the computer went wild opening a ga-zillion pop-ups without end.

He couldn't get them to stop so he said he turned off the computer. Upon rebooting he said the computer wouldn't work.

He asked me to look at it. When you turn on the computer Windows XP starts, you can pick a profile and the background loads but nothing else. I did a ctrl+alt+del to pull up the task window. A program is running called "System Idle process" and takes up 99% of the CPU. It cannot be ended via a right click and close program. It gives a message of cannot end program.

I tried re-installing windows for giggles and it keeps erroring out each time I tried. It says it could not delete several .CAT files.

So what should I do from here to fix that? Sounds like he dl a nice virus.

What are the options to fix this?

I came, I saw, I lagged out... :rolleyes:

Goto Start run, type Msconfig. On startup disable all.

Use Trend Mico (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) to scan for the virus and give Spybot a scan.

Comment

He can't do Start-->Run, he will have to press CTRL ALT DELETE and bring up the task window, then click New Task and do it that way.
      sdg

Comment

Seriously... try READING COMPREHENSION for once?!

What do you think System Idle Process can mean? It's just all the CPU power who no other programs use... reinstalling windows pff funniest thing I ever heard! haha.

He most likely didn't get a virus, but maybe you fucked up his computer...

Comment

Immediate Solution #1: Go to your local Computer store to fix it.

Immediate Solution #2: Get rid of your current Hard Drive and install a new fresh one to see if the virus has infected only your Hard Drive and not your BIOS.

If it were a virus, then it was probably caused by the fact that you may have left ActiveX, javascript, and/or vbscript enabled allowing pretty much any site to run havoc on your system with embedded coding in the site.

Solution #1 for next time: Get a popup stopper.

Solution #2 for next time: Make sure the site is safe before visiting.

Solution #3 for next time: PM me to learn how to block popups without having to use a popup stopper.

Comment

Dont use IE. Use Mozilla Firebird or such instead.
            last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

After you get everything in working order, get a virus scan, a fire wall, and spybot. Also get google tool bar, not only is it google but it's a pop up blocker.

By the way, the fact that pop ups started appering doesn't mean you have a virus.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by Malladrin
                Seriously... try READING COMPREHENSION for once?!

What do you think System Idle Process can mean? It's just all the CPU power who no other programs use... reinstalling windows pff funniest thing I ever heard! haha.

He most likely didn't get a virus, but maybe you fucked up his computer...
                Well someone suggested that to me so I tried it...

So what's the best thing to try out of what was posted here?
                I came, I saw, I lagged out... :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                  Goto Start run, type Msconfig. On startup disable all.

Use Trend Mico (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) to scan for the virus and give Spybot a scan.

Good solution. Assuming it works.

If not, then your completely fucked. If you have data on your drive that you need to salvage, i'd install a second copy of Windows. Therefore giving you a l33t dual boot computer which you can bring about. Then just run around in Explorer and move files around. Reinstall everything, and your set.

Oh..one more thing, DON'T GO TO THAT WEBSITE AGAIN.

Comment

Do what I said with Msconfig. That will stop any processes from loading up when rebooting. Reboot your computer, from there you need to use spybot or adaware and a virus scanner to remove anything that is running on your system, and after this it would be a good idea to get some protection like Vitron2 said.

This isn't a mojor problem and if you really can't handle a few applications and basic computer skills then just take it to a computer shop.

Comment

Originally posted by stabwound

He can't do Start-->Run, he will have to press CTRL ALT DELETE and bring up the task window, then click New Task and do it that way.
                      Do the new task thing by clicking file, new task, then type msconfig and then do what kolar said which was kill everything that is under "startup."

You will need to download ad-ware or spybot to kill all those pop-up ad programs that got on your computer.

Comment

technology sucks these days doesnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by glacier
                          :Icey <ZH>:$10 you didnt ignore me
                          (Icey <ZH> )>$50 i did
                          Haha
                          last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxxer
                            Do the new task thing by clicking file, new task, then type msconfig and then do what kolar said which was kill everything that is under "startup."

You will need to download ad-aware or spybot to kill all those pop-up ad programs that got on your computer.
                            I highly recommend both, I run scans with them daily :\ freaking spyware and adware is horrible, I get a couple different new ones daily.

Mulkero:

Comment

ok that exact friggin thing just happened to me, wtf. I just end task'd one of the IE windows. the small game of 'kill the pop-ups' was fun though. what did you do to fix it? I'm afraid to restart my computer

Comment

Working...
                              X