system32\ntoskrnl.exe?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system32\ntoskrnl.exe?????

Ok heres the problem, My firends computer will not bot up I gets through the BIOS screen and then an error message comes up saying that this file is missing or corrupt.

So I have run a virus check on the HD and found and cleanned 157 virus's I can look into his HD from my computer, I can open and use programs on his HD on my system.

I tried to copy paste that file from that program from mine to his. We both run XP though I have pro and he has home.

I dont have a cd of the home edition.

I have tried looking on google for a solution but the only place I could find one was a pay per use forum.

Any ideas?
    "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

I also noticed that the HD is a FAT32 and mine is a NTFS, not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

Windows doesn't need system32.exe to run. The registry entries are still there even though the virus has been removed.

Removal:

Do this at your own risk. You can remove the entries by going to start, run and type in regedit.

Goto
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

In the right pannel find and delete the value:

System32 %Windir%\System32.exe

Comment

Sounds like: http://www.k7computing.com/newsinfo/funlove.htm

Also, check out this MS-KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;en;314477
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
          Windows doesn't need system32.exe to run. The registry entries are still there even though the virus has been removed.

Removal:

Do this at your own risk. You can remove the entries by going to start, run and type in regedit.

Goto
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

In the right pannel find and delete the value:

System32 %Windir%\System32.exe
          One problem I have to get to his Hd from my computer so if I mess in the registry wont that be for my computer and not his..... is there any way to do that on his hard drive?

Comment

no, if you are application sharing, just click his start menu in the window.

Comment

Another twist in the problem. I tried running my HD on his system and got the same message. Now my system runs off a NTFS and hsi runs off a FAT32 system would that make a difference?

Comment

Ace, for the whole FAT/NTFS question, the only difference for you is that you can access his hard drive from a DOS bootdisk (the FAT32 one). You cant with NTFS.

It sounds like theres something wrong with ntoskrnl.exe, but its an important file (in fact, thats where the graphics are stored when you boot, and other stuff that im not aware of)

Ask him if he changed his boot logo, and if he did, maybe he messed up somewhere when moving/removing custom boot logos
                Bilange> i love getting repped
                Bilange> i said repped, not raped :X
                ----
                Sending priority 'mail' to weasels and levs since 1999.

Comment

I thought i'd just mention this cause this happened to me. If your friend was trying to make a custom boot screen or downloading one (themexp.org) or something of the like. He might have downloaded the wrong service pack version and fucked his bootup. When taht happened to me, I just went on my other OS and fixed it throught that, BACKUPS OWN. :-)

Comment

Yeah but when I plug my working HD into his mobo I get the same message.... and the keyboard doesn't respond either.

Comment

i suggest u boot from your windows cd and try the repair, if that doesnt work, you could just install windows again, but you would lose any programs installed in program files
                      © ♥ Hannes

Comment

Working...
                      X