Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative p2p program

Hi,
    a lot of you probably use Kazaa (lite) and I'm sure you like using it but I was wondering who of you is using another, maybe even better, p2p programme. There are hundreds of programmes, but I want to know which is the best.

thx
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Most people find it hard to use Torrent but it is the best P2P that I have found for Movies, games and almost anything. Azureus java bittorrent or Shadow client works the best. If you need some links msg me in game as it is illegal to post them here or just do a google search for torrent links.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Edit: DC++ worked alright for a while also if you want some kind of search within the P2P program.
    Last edited by Kolar; 02-23-2004, 11:39 AM.

Comment

If you are on a college campus ... and have a decent gnucleus network, use gnucleus ... lan edition. I use it here and regularly get up to 800kb transfer rates. Minimum I get like 200kb rates. It is by far the fastest way, compared to all the other p2p since it uses only the lan on the campus. Of course the variety of files depends on how many ppl use the program. Over here, a bunch of ppl use it and at any time there are usually about 10 ppl online ... but there are 2 servers w/a ton of files that are always online (and are updated i believe).

Comment

the methods used for transfer in WinMX are alright, but I still use kazaa lite

Comment

Hehe Sufficient, we have something like that over here... but there are at least 5000 computers connected to it

Comment

kazaa, emule, edonkey, dc++, mirc, bit torrent, and ftp sites.. there are prbly tons of other ways but i like mirc the best because it's so easy to find everything

Comment

mIRC and BitTorrent are by far the best for new releases.

also www.torrentopia.com - this program has a much better interface and extra functionality than just BitTorrent (e.g. it can search for a user entered term on good ole' suprnova)

Comment

Usenet 4 life.
                sdg

Comment

Penn State started installing firewalls in the dorms to prevent filesharing. To get around this, everyone has been using WASTE, not the greatest, but definitely something that comes in handy when youre behind some sort of firewall.
                  TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                  TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

im curious

i tried bit torrent for a day or two, and edonkey too bad a while ago

but i found them horribly slow, and took forever to download

maybe i didnt have them configured right or something

my cable connection is running at 4.5MB/s right now its friggin huge! but transfer rates were pathetic there compared to kazaa lite

right now i dont have anything installed because i put in a new hard drive, but ive been pondering it

also, with all these silly lawsuits and stuff, do these other programs prevent them from figuring out who you are?
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

The more uploads running and the more you have to share means the more you'll download. Also if it is slow try updating the tracker. In Azureus you can update it without waiting by going to My Torrents, side click on the file, click on edit tracker URL and then click save. That will refresh the tracker and give you more users.

The lawsuits going on in the United States and soon Canada if i'm not mistaken has to do with your ISP and they're targeting heavy uploaders. Any P2P is effected by this, most people assume it is only Kazaa because it is the most known.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshawk

i tried bit torrent for a day or two, and edonkey too bad a while ago

but i found them horribly slow, and took forever to download
                        Boss, about BitTorrent: You may need to configure your router, if you use one. Try http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php, and if the applet says "It would appear that your machine does use NAT." somewhere in the line of text.. then the FAQ mentioned below should help your problem. Three other people I know a slow download problem and solved it this way.

Long and boring details are here: http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html.
                        I followed these instructions and it was well worth it, I went from 3 kb/s to my full 60 kb/s.. and my guess is that you would max out your huge bandwidth if that FAQ solves your problem.
                        Last edited by Nockm; 02-27-2004, 09:13 PM.

Comment

If you are downloading something unpopular with bittorrent you won't get very fast speed.. If there's 200 seeds to download from, you'll get your files fast.
                          last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

To complete NOCKM instructions, if you're behind a router/NAT/firewall you need to unblock ports 6881 thru 6889 (and forward if to your computer).

BT tries to connect on port 6881, if it fails it tries 6882, et caetera.
                            Bilange> i love getting repped
                            Bilange> i said repped, not raped :X
                            ----
                            Sending priority 'mail' to weasels and levs since 1999.

Comment

Working...
                            X