• Show
Clear All

• Just a question.

Ok, Some of my games lag.

I was wondering which to upgrade, My Graphics Card:
    GeForce 4 MX 420 64mb.

Or my RAM:
    256mb DDR PC266

What do you reccomend I do, is it my shit graphics card which causes the lag? I think it is.

Well, it depends, if you 64 of RAM right now, upgrade teh ram, if you got a shittyass 16/32 mb ATI Rage piece of shit mofo graphics card, upgrade you graphics card..

What spec's do you got right now?

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card first because I came to the conclusion that most of my lag was coming from the card itself and not the RAM as some games which require only half the RAM I have run sluggish.

I'm thinking of getting an NVidia GeForce FX something or other 256mb card. - Any reccomendations on the card I should get, I want Performance / Decent price.

Heres my system specs:

Windows XP Home Edition
      Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
      256MB RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
      DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b

I could just twat my PC in and buy an Alienware :/

Comment

I have a geforce 4 and 458 RAM and I don't lag in anything. update the RAM

Comment

hmmmm, now i'm not sure again.

Comment

There is a world of difference between the Geforce 4 64MB and the higher end Geforce 4. It's like saying "I don't know why you don't like your Ford Tempo much, my Ford is great!"
            sdg

Comment

Upgrade the ram.

1.) Windows XP home is probably sucking down half of that, so you've probabl only got 128 to run progs on. Add in background processes, etc, and you're not working with a lot of overhead.
              2.) Ram is used for everything, not just graphics, you'll get better bang for your buck in all performance by upgrading it.

Comment

You should definately update your graphics card, not because of the amount of VRAM, but because of the chipset. A Geforce 4 MX is nothing more then a somewhat souped up version of the Geforce 2 MX chipset.
                My highend Geforce 2 GTS actually outperformes the GF 4 MX

You could do with an additional 256 MB DDR module, but I seriously doubt that's where the "lag" comes from. However, seen as the type of memory you''d need is very cheap at this moment, I'd say go for it!
                There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Is the GeForce FX 5200(not sure about the number) any good?
                  TelCat> there arent 'sort of' get the flag

Comment

Well, you could upgrade either and you'd notice a huge ass difference in terms of lag...if you are playing high-end games (UT2k3) then get a new graphics card.

I have a 3.0 ghz P4, 1 gig ddr ram, radeon 9500...soo it's impossible for me to lab. Oh, throw in a kickass T1 connection (yeah i'm stealing off my parents work connection )

Comment

OK, I'm gonna buy a new card first then.

Now as for upgrading RAM;
                      I am currently running on a stick of 256mb DDR 266MHz.
                      If I were to buy another stick of RAM, say a stick of 256mb DDR 333MHz.

Would the 266MHz stick and the 333MHz stick go together without any problems?

Would I be able to buy 2 sticks of 333MHz RAM and have them work, or would my mobo screw up?

My motherboard is an MSI one, Unfortunately I do not know the model of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azhran
                        Is the GeForce FX 5200(not sure about the number) any good?
                        De eerste en meest bedonderde uit de hele reeks.
                        Grote flop, gare prestaties, niet aan beginnen

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                          OK, I'm gonna buy a new card first then.

Now as for upgrading RAM;
                          I am currently running on a stick of 256mb DDR 266MHz.
                          If I were to buy another stick of RAM, say a stick of 256mb DDR 333MHz.

Would the 266MHz stick and the 333MHz stick go together without any problems?

Would I be able to buy 2 sticks of 333MHz RAM and have them work, or would my mobo screw up?

My motherboard is an MSI one, Unfortunately I do not know the model of it.
                          Depends.
                          IF you're motherboard supports 333 mhz DDR SDram (PC2700), it and the 266 Mhz DDR module will work together. However the 333 Mhz module will effectively run at 266 Mhz, so you might as well buy another 266 Mhz (PC2100) module if you plan to keep the old one.

Comment

ATI 4 Life

Comment

Working...
                            X