New Game Overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Game Overlay

Yesterday we started rolling out the new overlay in TWD which entirely replaces the old one. Massive thanks for all the kind words and feedback! The plan is to eventually replace the old overlay entirely and only use the new one. The new overlay has some additional features compared to the old one:
    • Round score
    • Full team name
    • Flag indicator (in BD)
    • Player indicators (in DD/JD)
    • Bigger scores
    • Line-ups, and player status indicators (lag, out of play, open spot, ship type)
    • Bar graph on flag bar (in BD) with flag indicator
    • Ready indicator during setup
    • Team score above player scores in the bottom right display
    As expected there were a few hick-ups and the following features were not working 100%:
    • Line-up indicators weren't updating properly in DD/JD
    • Player/team scores bottom right weren't showing for some players
    • Starting graphics were displayed too long, or were (way) too big
    The following changes have been made since the first release:
    • The "preparing line-ups" object is now much smaller, and only shows up for 3 seconds at the start of the game/when entering the arena during setup
    • Besides the ready indicator there's now a preparing indicator that shows during setup
    • The "game over" object is now much smaller, the show duration is reduced, and doesn't trigger multiple times at the end of a round/game
    • The "go!" object is now much smaller and the show duration is reduced
    • Line-up indicators are now working as intended for DD/JD, and shows a grayed out dot for players who are out
    • Player/team scores now show for the correct player
    • The command "!showkd" now has an extra toggle state "player score only", instead of just ON/OFF
    • Overlay explanation graphics are disabled
    • Round timer is now a darker shade of gray
    So there would be a small additional download when you enter any of the TWD arenas. Be sure to re enter the arena after the download to see the full overlay.

A few points are still looked at for improvement:
    • Line-up dots during play hidden or not
    • Line-up dots color for DD/JD, maybe a darker gray instead of ship color
    • Player score death number color, maybe a darker red or medium gray
    • Round timer in BD, although the darker color should help of it being distracting
    Any additional feedback and ideas are greatly appreciated. Have fun!

Never heard of !showkd before. Tried going to twdd and using !help but it ain't there. How do I use this command and what does it do?

Comment

DD/JD main display

Click image for larger version

Name:	wDtc26r.png
Views:	338
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1346106

DD/JD player display

Name:	kvKYqks.png
Views:	333
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	1346107

BD main display

Name:	vfEXeDu.png
Views:	329
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1346108

BD player display

Name:	Gkmjhaa.png
Views:	332
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1346109

Line-ups for BD

Name:	5iUfBBd.png
Views:	337
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1346105

Team line-up indicators in JD showing 4v4 with the possibility to add 1 more player. 1 player is already out for team 1, and 2 for team 2.

Name:	eLvkAd6.png
Views:	344
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	1346103

New preparing text

Name:	R459z24.png
Views:	331
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1346104

Comment

!showkd only shows up while a match is ongoing, and toggles between the player display being OFF / showing player score only (bottom row) / ON

Comment

Does it remember your preference for future matches?
          I think it should, and once u think of it as not match-specific it should always show up.

Comment

You already know as I've told you in-game but I just wanted to say it again here Biet that I LOVE the work you did!

It really modernizes the game and is sleek & classy. I had a single gripe with what you did and really, it's not even a big deal if left unchanged. I am so stoked.. just SUPER stoked you have taken interest in revamping our zones arena's and am very excited to see what the future holds!

My suggestion if you are looking for something else to revamp would be.. Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.https://forums.trenchwars.com/twl/13...20#post1345978 Cleaning up the player stats/medals on twd.org.. maybe even just a good facelift of the website. Stuff like that.

Please consider a patreon, I think many of us would be willing to give you some peanuts each month for your troubles. You deserve it! Keep it up brother, am proud of your work!

Again, BIG Thank You BIET!! Cheers!

-IXa

Edit: Reminds me..We need to fix up our donations page in general. I am still unsure where to go just to donate to this game after all these years--that and I feel like we need to reward donators like they do for other free games like Tales of Maj Eyal. With ToME, you get a special profile outliner as well as an emblem that states your a donator. Large donators and monthly donators get an additional emblem to show their generosity to the game.

Donators need to stand out--pub bux is not the answer or is a little pixel art. Needs to be a lot more. Maybe custom ships in-game, custom profiles, stuff of that nature.

Think this game could benefit from something like that. Lot of guys like you, Qan, Wirah, ect. don't get recognition enough and deserve something to show for it, even if it's not much. I'd also like to see a better server someday too and donating is the only way I think for that to happen! Bottom line--there's lots of ways to make donating fun and worthwhile for both parties involved should someone take time to make it happen.
            Last edited by Grasps; 07-16-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Very gj Biet! everything looks real good.

Comment

Line-up dots are now disabled during play. The third state of !showkd isn't working atm. Will get it fixed and look at options of having the state saved in the database.

Comment

This is AMAZING stuff BIET. Thanks so much for your huge effort.

Comment

This is sick, but the current aesthetics are a little washed out imo. Maybe swap out using negative space on the 'VS' instead of the squad names? Idk, the old scoreboard was easier to quickly glance at and read. This one takes a longer look to quickly find what you're looking for.
                    zidane> big play
                    Omega Red> dwop sick
                    mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                    WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                    1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

a couple of options. top is current scoreboard

Click image for larger version  Name:	xt6S9Hb.png Views:	0 Size:	9.1 KB ID:	1346152
                      Last edited by BIET; 07-17-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

They're all fine tbh I think we're nit-picking, but this is how i'd do it:

Comment

I like the dots personally, as they also show if it's a bo1 or bo3

Name:	fqb4gaR.png
Views:	298
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1346158
                          Last edited by BIET; 07-17-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Agreed, I like the concept of the colors, but it doesn't really make sense for spectators. The negative space text is cool but kind of distracting.

Something cool to add at some point would be changing the personal K for sharks into something more useful. Maybe others who actually get more than 10 kp30 enjoy this stat, but I've never really been interested. Stats I would like to see live (though I dont know how easy these are to count/live update):
                            • shrap is either 0, 3, or 5, and I dont like typing ?status to know which angle;
                            • RPD, though this one wont be too interesting after the first 2 minutes;
                            • reps remaining, this one can be solved with custom graphics though;
                            • or teamkills in addition to the existing K, which might let you gauge aggressiveness.

Comment

I love those BIET. The alignment of the team name with their time looks overall neater too.

Comment

Working...
                              X