Time For a Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For a Change

The TWD system seems to benefit the lower ranked squads more than anyone else. I think you guys need to make a new formula in which points are awarded. Simply, because when you get a high rank like sake did when we reached 1700 points. All wins gave us 4 points while losing took away 46. Even playing top 5 squads at that point gave 15 points at most.

I would suggest awarding the same amount of points to any squad for each win but that would just make squads beat up on weaker teams in twd. However, one thing that could be done is for teams ranked 1-10, they would be awarded equal amount of points when they win whether they are ranked #9 or #1 and 11-15 and so on. Something along those lines.

P.S. ban cheaters

Originally posted by Deluge View Post
    The TWD system seems to benefit the lower ranked squads more than anyone else. I think you guys need to make a new formula in which points are awarded. Simply, because when you get a high rank like sake did when we reached 1700 points. All wins gave us 4 points while losing took away 46. Even playing top 5 squads at that point gave 15 points at most.

I would suggest awarding the same amount of points to any squad for each win but that would just make squads beat up on weaker teams in twd. However, one thing that could be done is for teams ranked 1-10, they would be awarded equal amount of points when they win whether they are ranked #9 or #1 and 11-15 and so on. Something along those lines.

P.S. ban cheaters

The problem with this idea, deluge, is that there would be no limit to the number of rating points a squad could gain. In my mind, the number of problems and issues that would result from such a change are not worth it. I think the rating system right now is perfect (thanks mythrandir). The ratings are very well distributed, and it becomes harder and harder to gain ratings as you move up the ladder. If you want to stay on the top, you've got to be the best, not the squad who has won the most games vs other top 10 squads.

Comment

Well, to stay on top of the ladder you have to win, but sometimes things dont always go your way and losses happen. I just think there is minimum reward for being high up on the ladder.

Comment

If a higher rated squad wins, they should recieve 10% of value x, if they lose, it should be 25% of value x. Obviously

If the difference between thet two squad's points is > Y then Y should be the X value, otherwise the X value should be

that difference. A good value for Y could be around 100.

P.S this is an idea i heard from another person on subspace

Comment

If a higher rated squad wins, they should recieve 10% of value x, if they lose, it should be 25% of value x. Obviously

If the difference between thet two squad's points is > Y then Y should be the X value, otherwise the X value should be

that difference. A good value for Y could be around 100.

P.S this is an idea i heard from another person on subspace
          Euhmm .. :unsure:
          Either Deluge is a genius, or I am slow.. It's like reading Chinese !
          But I think the current TWD points are good. As Weaver says it's really hard to stay on top.
          But Deluge has got a point aswell, because it's useless to keep on playing once you hit 1700 pts, because you can only play games vs top 5 to get atleast 5 pts .. While the chances on losing vs them are pretty big aswell, and if you lose, you immediately lose like 45 pts.
          So it's discouraging a top Squadron to keep on playing.

While if you start using another point calculation, you have the chance people will abuse it to get to the top without playing really 'hard' squads. Even Gianttiger (no offense) could become #1, just by playing other 'easy' squadrons. As they fight eachother a lot, and share the wins/losses 2 squads can climb up the ladder by only fighting eachother.

A possibility would be to give top ranked squads (let's say top 5) more points for a win over another top 5 squad or so. So the points are not really based on the opponent's points but just on their rank. (For top 5 only). So if you'd beat #2, you should get for example 20 pts on top of the normal pts you gain. And for a #4 10 pts or so. (#1: 25 #2: 20 #3: 15 #4: 10 #5: 5).
          That way you encourage squads to fight top 5 squads, even when they're far above the others. (Like Sake was +150 pts of #2 or so ..)
          TW Web Developer

4:vys> yo
          4:vys> 1 day ill be staff
          4:vys> know it for sure
          4:vys> yo P_L already told me that i'd be ZH one day when deluge is sys op and method owns TW

2:money> zazu got zizu'd when he should have zizzo'd

3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> !tell stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
          3:RoboHelp> Told moth about stop meeting girlfriends on subspace, who are you, hurricane?
          3:Lizard Fuel <ER>> oh sht

Comment

I don't think this system is something Myth pulled out of his ass. I believe it comes from the Professional Chess League ranking system still in place today. The system works as such so that the players who are in the top 5, for instance, can't gain an insurmountable lead over the rest of the field and could very well put the teams within that "striking distance" that keeps everyone playing and striving to make it back to the top. And if you give the Top 5 bonus points for the reasons of just being in the top 5, you might as well just make a whole new league for the top 5 group as they would constantly pull away from the pack at an accelerated pace.

The points work out on the theory that if a 1st place squad loses to a 15th place squad, they should be penalized because the 1st place squad should, by skill rankings, be able to easily take down the 15th place squad. I'm sorry you're not in 1st place anymore, but we're not changing the rating system.

Just a note of difference: The rating system in question was made for there to be 100's of people on it, I believe. When you only have 50 - 75 squads on the ladder, it might do some weird things, I dunno.
            DELETED

Comment

You are making it seem like the system is flawless. I really dont care what rank sake is. All im saying is the system doesn't benefit higher ranked squads.

Comment

Probably because we have 42 squads (at the time of this post) on the ladder. If there were more squads there would be a more gradual point progression. And this is why it doesn't actually matter who was in the Top 5 come TWL time. Make qualifications, doesn't matter where.
                DELETED

Comment

You are making it seem like the system is flawless. I really dont care what rank sake is. All im saying is the system doesn't benefit higher ranked squads.
                  I think it's good the way it is for the simple fact that it keeps the higher ranking teams from gaining 15+ points from newbies at any given moment. We all know that sometimes we get bored and there's only a newbie squad with 4-5 people available to play. The way its setup now is to keep the top squads playing vs. other 'top' squads, but if you decide to take that risk and play some newbies (or a squad lower in the ladder) thats just the risk you take and have to deal with the consequences of losing

Under-estimation is a bitch sometimes ;/
                  "I'm a fucking walking paradox, no I'm not
                  Threesomes with a fucking triceratops, Reptar
                  " - Tyler the Creator
                  Yonkers video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

Comment

I like the system the way it is. It keeps the top squad from gaining a huge lead without a lot of effort, that way the ladder is constantly changing and keeping things interesting.
                    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                    3:Best> see it coming
                    3:Best> sad

Comment

P.S. ban cheaters
                      Del, that you? You spoke with great grammar. Kinda like my english teacher. = )

ps> you shoulda taught JeBu some = (
                      RaCka> how can i get you here
                      death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
                      RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
                      death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

Isn't it simply great that the ladder is the most unfair to the best squads? I'm all for making it hard for the top squads.
                        jee

Comment

Working...
                        X