Worth a Shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth a Shot?

I was asked to write this up a little more professionally so here goes.

I'll start out by explaining the reasoning for this. I see alot of players on squads who just play one division of twd or two tops. I'd like to change that. and get as many people playing in each division as possible. The easiest way I seeing doing that is a slight change to the eol ranking system. Face it, who on there squad wants to play there jav line against some low ranking team in a dd an lose alot of points , no one in there right mind. But as a capitain/assist you feel guilty about not playing them or maybe even giving them a shot. To get around this I came up with the idea of a Ranging System.

How it works

Any squad 150 points above you the game is worth a max of 15points.
    Any squad 75 points to 150 points game would be worth a max of 30points.
    Any squad within 75 points would be worth 50 a max points.
    (of course these could be set higher or lower)

Example on ladder
    Your squad E of course
    Squad.... points/ranking.......... game is worth a max of
    A............2000........................15
    B.............1950........................15
    C............1800........................30
    D............1780........................50
    E............1750
    F............1720........................50
    G.............1700.......................50
    H.............1650......................30
    I..............1620......................30
    J..............1500........................15

Example on ladder
    Your squad B of course
    A............2000........................50
    B.............1950
    C............1800........................30
    D............1780........................15
    E............1750.........................15
    F............1720........................15
    G.............1700.......................15
    H.............1650......................15
    I..............1620......................15
    J..............1500........................15

Example on ladder
    Your squad I of course
    A............2000........................15
    B.............1950........................15
    C............1800........................15
    D............1780........................15
    E............1750.........................15
    F............1720........................15
    G.............1700.......................30
    H.............1650......................50
    I..............1620
    J..............1500......................30

Effect this has on ladder

As you can see you will have to beat squads closer to your ranking to work your way up the ladder, making every squad play each other around there ranking, causing a better calculation for twl as well. Of course you can still play the higher squads or lower squads, its just not gonna help you as much, your gonna have to earn your way up.. And if your jav line wants to play a dd, they can also get a game against a lower ranking squad and if they lose it's not gonna kill your ranking.
    Only thing im not sure about, is how much harder it will be to start a squad 3/4 the way thru season, and work your way up the ladder, so its gonna make you choose a squad earlier in season an stick it out, hopefully creating a more loyal squad. this might not be the case tho. only testing will tell.

How to implement into eol system

current eol rating
    New Rating = Old Rating + K(W-P)
    P = Probablitity of winning
    K = Maximum rating change
    W = 1 if the squad has won, W = 0 if the squad has lost
    P = 1 / (1 + 10^(-difference_in_ratings / 400))
    K = 50

example of this :http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=15162

change to eol rating.

basically all we would need to do is adjust max rating change. so if a squad is 150 points difference_in_ratings the max points possible would be 15 possible.
    if difference_in_ratings >150 k=15
    if difference_in_ratings <150>75 k=30
    if difference_in_ratings <75 k=50
    in this case any squad within 75 points of each other has the chance to win 50 points. of course this is still divided by the probablity(P). Giving you a little more points if you beat a team higher in ranking out of the 15,30,50 depending on the range.

Thoughts? I can already hear it now, leave it alone its fine, but in all honesty is it? I see fewer squads, hell i see fewer everything from 4 years ago? wouldnt you like to let some new person on squad an actually be able to put him in? without worrying about subing him? this is just a thought I had, Maybe it wouldnt work, maybe it would work just fine, ionno. Maybe its not worth discussing? but I thought I would bring it up.

I do like this idea. Personally though, I think the idea could be simplified considerably. It seems to me that the goal is to award squads more points if the squad they are playing has a rating similar to their own. So, couldn't we keep the current rating system, and just add a few lines of code that multiplies your points for winning (or losing) by some factor depending on the difference between rankings?

For example, if squad1ranking - squad2ranking > 150, multiply the points awarded or taken by 0.5.

That is just an example of course, and a considerable about of thought would have to be put into determining appropriate ranking differences and modifications factors.

Anyways, I like the idea!

Comment

Me too!

I vote yes.

Comment

why not
        https://soundcloud.com/annux-1/annux-relief

1:Wah!!>THE WAY I FEEL FOR YOUUU HOHOHOHOOH OHOHO
        1:Wah!!>OH OH OH OH OH OH OOOHH
        1:Wah!!>I dont worry cause
        1:soild <ZH>>EVERYHTINGS GONNA BE ARLIGFHT
        1:Wah!!>people keep on talking
        1:soild>they can say what they like
        1:Wah!!>ALL I know is:
        1:soild>EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Comment

no.

a squad ranked 10th beats squad ranked 1st, you'd want more than 15 points. Leave the points system as it is or you'll upset more people than you please.
          TWL-J Season 11 Champion
          TWL-J Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 21 Champion
          TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
          TWDT-D 2017 Champion
          TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko View Post
            no.

a squad ranked 10th beats squad ranked 1st, you'd want more than 15 points. Leave the points system as it is or you'll upset more people than you please.
            this
            Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
            2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
            2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

Originally posted by Weaver View Post
              I do like this idea. Personally though, I think the idea could be simplified considerably. It seems to me that the goal is to award squads more points if the squad they are playing has a rating similar to their own. So, couldn't we keep the current rating system, and just add a few lines of code that multiplies your points for winning (or losing) by some factor depending on the difference between rankings?

For example, if squad1ranking - squad2ranking > 150, multiply the points awarded or taken by 0.5. .
              Yeah that would probably work, do the same thing, i was just trying to keep as close to the orinigal forumla as possible.

You also have to remeber that the other squads even the #1 squad beat and worked there way to get to number #1 they just didnt start out there. So what makes you think the number #10 squad deserves all 50 points, if it cant beat the #9,8,7th teams? Also the ranges could be larger like i said.

Comment

this just slows down and removes faster changes on the ladders.

i would normally say that this is a good thing, except... we dont have all that much activity. a squad used to have the choice between any number of squads to play at most times of the day. that isnt the case anymore. now you play whoever is on (which is sometimes nobody).

if you could play any number of matches against any squads you choose, id say go for it. but with the drop in activity, id say no. keep the ladder changing as rapidly as possible. but, if we had more people/squads, id agree with you.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

The current Elo rating system works fine for TWD, do not fix something that is not broken.

Comment

Not fixing, improving.

Comment

this is far from an improvement, this completely kills the fun behind challenging the top squads for high points, and being at number 1 is about being consistantly good so the factor that you can lose 40+ pts through 1 loss at the top is key.
                      TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                      TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                      TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                      TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
                        this just slows down and removes faster changes on the ladders.

i would normally say that this is a good thing, except... we dont have all that much activity. a squad used to have the choice between any number of squads to play at most times of the day. that isnt the case anymore. now you play whoever is on (which is sometimes nobody).

if you could play any number of matches against any squads you choose, id say go for it. but with the drop in activity, id say no. keep the ladder changing as rapidly as possible. but, if we had more people/squads, id agree with you.
                        I'm not sure it would slow the ladder changes down. The lower squads are gonna be able to move up the ladder more quickly if they win. We could also increase this like i said early by chaning the range. we could make the range 200,300,400, or maybe even do like the top third, middle third, bottom third of the ladder play someone out of your 1/3 for less points. Thats were some testing is need to fiquire out a happy medium in the range.

this is far from an improvement, this completely kills the fun behind challenging the top squads for high points, and being at number 1 is about being consistantly good so the factor that you can lose 40+ pts through 1 loss at the top is key.
                        you can lose 40+ pts through 1 loss at the top is key. This is still possible this way.. Its just gonna be a team thats within range. I dont believe a 35ranked team that plays a #1 ranked team best line is gonna beat them. Maybe they do but im sure its not there bestline, maybe a benchwarmer or 2 or 3, so does that 35ranked team deserve it? We can argue this back forth all day long. Maybe this is why we ended up with this 35ranked squad in twl last season that dissolved 1/4 way into it, and are amount of new/old players are dwindling. But I like the discussion so keep it up.

Comment

Well I think it's pretty dumb that you get less points for winning #1 than #7 if you are #6. In subspace we dont have to work our way to the top of ladder one by one. We can challenge #1 for 40+ points and skip few seeds for higher ranking.

Comment

The point is that you challenge squads in your point range. The only problem is finding those squads on at the same time.

Comment

Okay, so TW is dying because the current Elo rating system is bad? Hmm... That is not too often blamed.

Tuning the points will not get DD players streaming into JD. The yellow ship still sucks no matter how you distribute points. So does basing. And this new system should also improve loyalty? Right... the reason for fewer squads and players is something entirely different than the Elo rating system.

Comment

Working...
                              X