No announcement yet.

Base map and cramming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Kuuk, the cram needs to be changed.

Here's my version...

AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

• Eh, I guess it would be ultimately the most fair to follow Kuuk's last suggestion. I wasn't really paying attention to that semi-recent map test (I honestly don't remember it), but it does sound entirely plausible that people are just that lazy.

If you put the new map in ?go base it'll get the most play time possible, but any sizeable group of people who turn out to dislike the change are going to be fairly pissed off for being "forced" to play it, and they'll become pretty vocal on the forums about it (and might over-represent that side of the opinion poll). So taking bots out of base and making basenew and baseold as the new arenas would probably be the best idea if you want to actually accurately gauge how popular each map is.

If it were to actually be implemented, however, we'd need bots in both arenas 24 hours a day, and not fail to keep one up in one or the other during certain periods of time. Also, it would probably be a good idea to start off the test with the new map being hosted a few times to show people that it actually exists, and do the hosting right around base would normally be active. That way you get people to either stick around after the event and keep getting games, or go back to the old map and play there, or have 10 people in both maps and not play anything.
      Last edited by Tsumetai; 11-23-2007, 10:19 PM.
      LUE 402 >>> j00
      Ha ha HA. Not to scale.

Comment

• Whos making the map? Someone email it to me (KolarTW@gmail.com) and I'll see about getting it ahead of the rest. We can keep bots off in Base and upload the new one in Base2 or Base3.

Comment

• I sent mine in! ^-^
          AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

• summary (I'm just repeating what was said here):

Current entrance creates a huge gap between squads in match outcomes and makes it nearly impossible for lower tier squads to get flagtime against upper tier squads and gives a huge advantage to laggy players 'cause lag is effective in breaking cram. Widening the entrance would thus bring more squads and players into the game. (did you know ss is dying?)

Static games with a 15 min cram are boring to spectate.

Making changes and/or enforcing a spiderlimit would bring specials back in every game which would make the matches fun. Fun is what playing this game is about? or?
            Originally posted by Diakka
            Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

• Originally posted by Chao. View Post
              Probably, he means that putting something in ?go base2 is dooming it to failure because people will sit in ?go base despite pretty much any map you stick there. I think you'd have to change the first arena (?go base) to even test it with a decent number of people. Or advert constantly for base2.
              Yeah thats what I meant.
              lukas93> ed if talks come to your door and black if you do not already six!

Comment

• there are arena's up somewhere. I remember there was about 3 or maybe 4 different types that I tested out 2 or 3 years ago. There was 1 with a longer tube going into the FR that I liked, I could of swore myth was there testing them too but I guess not. Lets just find someone who remembers the priv arena's and test them over again.
                DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 8 CHAMP
                DICE TWLB SEASON 10 CHAMP
                DICE TWLB SEASON 11 CHAMP
                DICE TWLB SEASON 13 CHAMP
                DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 15 CHAMP
                DICE TWLJ/TWLB SEASON 16 CHAMP

1:waven> i promised myself that the only way id ever roid
                1:waven> is if im going to prison
                1:waven> no one gonna try to rape me

Comment

• change the go base map after twl, maybe during the christmas break.
                  Originally posted by turmio
                  jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                  Originally posted by grand
                  I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

• Even with ?go base removed, put somewhere else and with new map(s) added to other arenas, the one who ultimately decides which one is played is the one starting the game. Of course hosts might prefer to start in the arena that already has people, but people will also go wherever there's a game. Besides, the same people will still complain if they are "forced" to play the new maps by hosting them. So in the end, it's the choice of the hosts that affects the popularity. Explaining stuff in the arena's welcome message and linking to this thread might help a bit though. I just think we should concentrate hosting the new maps a bit. Then after a reasonable amount of time, when people have gotten used to the maps, created some stable tactics and overall know what it would be really like to play the map, make a poll and ask for opinions. There's no sense in testing it twice and then thinking one can make a reasonable claims about how it's like to play there. This is at least the ideal situation, but if people just start complaining too much, you might stop the tests earlier and make the poll.

Originally posted by megaman89 View Post
                    there are arena's up somewhere. I remember there was about 3 or maybe 4 different types that I tested out 2 or 3 years ago. There was 1 with a longer tube going into the FR that I liked, I could of swore myth was there testing them too but I guess not. Lets just find someone who remembers the priv arena's and test them over again.
                    If you're talking about what I think you were talking, they were in base2, base3 etc. They were sitting there for a while and no one knew about them. Then they were changed silently back to the original map during a base tournament.

Anyways, I sent three versions of my map and since some people liked Flub's map, I sent it too. I'm not saying they should necessarily put all of them up, but some people liked Flub's suggestion of adding holes, so I added some holes to my original map too. Maybe people should initially make some suggestions here which one would be the best? I don't really care which one they put up, they'd all do the job. Holes would also help javs and to some extent, wbs.

I won't put my original here because of the three image limit, but it's the same as the next one without the holes in entrance.

Here's something just in case the cram is still too strong:

Here's a mix of my map and Flub's:

And here's Flub's:

@Acid: I can't say for sure without testing, but just widening the entrance a bit might not work too well. Sure, it will weaken the cram by giving less places to hide, but I think it might just not be enough. Well, of course I don't know if I should say anything here since my maps are sort of competing with yours. <3

@Kolar: It's very important to link this thread in the arena welcome message of the new map(s) and also in ?go base (with instructions to go to the new maps) so people will know what's going on.
                    Last edited by Kuukunen; 11-24-2007, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• I hope we do get some changes so we can have more flagroom fights!
                      And if new maps will be tested Ill be on 24/7 :fear:

Comment

• why are you kids all crying about basing so much, jesus christ its annoying seeing everyone be like "i hate basing i hate cramming i like lining" but probably half of you never even played long enough to know how to base besides "cramming" anyway so go fuck yourselves

on a side note: PH likes men
                        RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

• yea i remember playing one map, where the terrier would be repped out of cram because there weren't any blocks to keep him in place. I think those were private arenas though, does anyone remember their names?
                          Cig Smoke> He spelled since "sinse" LOOOl

YTRE> i wish newbs likes you who think they are vet like hazuki wouldn,t talk like necro

Comment

• I think one key thing to remember is that whatever map changes are made, however small, there will be people who will hate it regardless of how awesome or even how little the change may be.

So as long as a decent chunk of the basing population likes the change then go with it. Everyone is on even playing ground anyways so it's not like anyone has any advantage. At this point, anything fresh will be positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                              why are you kids all crying about basing so much, jesus christ its annoying seeing everyone be like "i hate basing i hate cramming i like lining" but probably half of you never even played long enough to know how to base besides "cramming" anyway so go fuck yourselves

on a side note: PH likes men
                              I dislike lining as much as cramming. Lining just isn't effective. I mainly prefer to push out and suicide the sharks so they can't do anything. The original idea of the entrance camping was to push out and own with more spiders than the other team (which at that time usually had specials) but somehow people refined it into something even more lamer.

The only thing I liked about lining was that people were stupid enough to just sit there and let me kill them in javelin. :O
                              Originally posted by Diakka
                              Lets stop being lil bitches

Comment

• Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                                why are you kids all crying about basing so much, jesus christ its annoying seeing everyone be like "i hate basing i hate cramming i like lining" but probably half of you never even played long enough to know how to base besides "cramming" anyway so go fuck yourselves
                                You don't have to have experience on something else to be able to say the current system sucks. So what the fuck are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X