TWL Season 19 - TWL Op Meeting Notes/Proposed Changes to TWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWL Season 19 - TWL Op Meeting Notes/Proposed Changes to TWL

Over the past few weeks, TWL Ops have gathered for a total of two meetings. Below are the decisions that we have made thus far. I am posting this on the forums as an effort to garner public feedback on TWL Season 19. Note that though we may have arrived at a consensus between TWL Ops, anything can be changed if enough players give us feedback. In other words, please take the time to read this post and post any concerns, potential changes, or anything pertinent that you might want to see happen next season. ​This thread is long, for a TL;DR version, read all italicized language:

Regular Season Changes

1. Regular Season Duration

As it currently stands the regular season is in need of a resuscitation of sorts. We decided to start off these changes by extending the regular season.

The regular season for TWLD/TWLJ has now been doubled to 14 games. The amount of TWLB games will stay the same.

2. Potential Point System

We contemplated changing the conventional standing system to a system based on various point totals. For example, a win would net you 3 points and a loss would lose you 3 points. A win by 10 or more would gain you an additional point and a loss by more than ~15 would lose you 3. The idea was to make TWL more competitive considering recent season's talent hoarding (see: Pandora, Dice, Fierce). However, this idea was ultimately scrapped.

The conventional system will stand. Teams will be ranked according to their win/loss ratios.

3. Roster Limits

Roster limits will remain the same. 15 for 1 league squads / 20 for 2 league squads / 25 for 3 league squads.

4. Additional Time Slots

We contemplated adding additional hours to TWL Sunday. Games under the proposed structure(s) would allow squads to have greater leeway in scheduling. However we unanimously decided that most of our player base is either tapped out or unavailable after 6 pm.

TWL will now run from 1p-6p every Sunday.

5. Rule Re-writes

As it currently stands, I have revised the rules once. We are currently waiting for more TWL Ops to opine on certain changes. Once we have finalized the TWL structure for TWL Season 19, I will post the newly written rules on the forums. It is important that you read the rules as they were implemented last season. We need more player feedback on what to change. If not enough player feedback is given, players will be forced to play under TWL Rules that the TWL Ops see fit.

TWL Qualification Changes

1. Structural Overhaul

In order to further revitalize next season, we have decided to do away with the current TWL qualification structure. Though we had many ideas, we narrowed them down to two possible qualification methods. One is contingent upon web dev help as well as overall feasibility.

Idea 1: Top 2 TWD teams auto-qualify. The other remaining 6 will have to duke it out in two stages in order qualify for the next season. The top 2 teams that auto-qualify would receive a bonus of sorts for auto-qualifying.
    Idea 2: We would use a version of an idea posed by Mirrorim in 2008. The link to his idea is given to you below. The numbers on there are not absolute and would have to be tweaked. This idea greatly depends on feasibility. As it stands this idea is great in theory but presents logistical nightmares.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2. Qualification Period

A common sentiment among the TWL Ops was that the TWL qualification period runs too long. As such we decided on changing the period. However, depending on whether TWDT is implemented this period could change.

If TWDT is brought back, the qualification period for TWL will run for 2 months. If TWDT is not brought back, the qualification period for TWL will run for 3 months.

3. TWL Start Date

TWL in its current state runs into too many breaks. This presents problems for squads and TWL Ops alike. No matter how we tried to place the season, it was evident that we would have to break for Thanksgiving in November.

TWL will in all likeliness start in mid-September. However, this date may change depending on TWDT and other factors.

Miscellaneous Items

1. TWL All-Star Weekend

It is safe to say that the All-Star weekend was handled in a less than desirable fashion last season. We have decided to completely change process.

TWL All-Star voting will now begin after Round 5. Any player who has played in a TWL game will be eligible to be voted as an All-Star. For Basing, a player may only be voted as an All-Star in the ship he or she played in. Voting will be conducted manually via ?message in addition to the forums.
    Additionally, we have decided to at least consider hosting TWL-DM (?go TWLDM) during the replay week. We have not made any substantive progress on this. More information should be available as the summer progresses.

2. Home/Away Games

To add a breath of life to TWL, we have decided to bring back home and away arenas to TWL. This, in our mind, adds an aesthetic dimension to TWL that was enjoyed around seasons 7-8.

Home and Away arenas will be reinstated. For an example of one please go to ?go twljsk8. When submitting a home map, squads are not allowed to make any tile changes. Tile sets may not be too bright and squads may not use .lvz files for their maps. More information regarding the submission of home maps will be disseminated as the summer progresses.

3. End of Season Awards

To further cater to the egos of our player base, we have decided to add awards to reward players for their performances in their respective leagues after the completion of a season.

As of right now we are deciding on categories for awards. If you would like to see a particular category please comment below. For ease of reading please format it as follows:

PROPOSED AWARD CATEGORY: Biggest Troll

4. HoN / Youtube recordings / Twitch Streamers

Hot or Not is an integral part of TWL. Player reactions to games are fully encapsulated in written form. As such we are actively looking for HoN writers for the next season. Further, the with proliferation of Twitch/Youtube we are further looking for players who would be willing to record and or live broadcast TWL games.

5. TWLM / TWL Site Generally

TWLM is also integral to TWL. There is no better way of showing who you really believe is good in this game by spending imaginary binary code. As such, TWLM will be brought back next season. However, this like many other things in this thread, is heavily reliant on web dev support. There are many bugs with TWLM as well as the TWL Site generally.

As such, we are actively looking for help in fixing TWLM and the TWL Site. We are currently compiling a list of all the bugs in the respective sites. After the list is completed we will have to assess what we can and can't fix. We ask that players help us in compiling this list. Players who have the ability and the will to help fix the TWL site should contact a TWL Op at their earliest convenience.

6. Double Elimination for Playoffs

To foster more interest in the playoffs and TWL in general, we are currently contemplating a double elimination system for playoffs. This system would not be dissimilar from the ones typically used in gaming tournaments.

Turban did the best job explaining this in a previous thread addressed to TWL Ops:
    "the new system would be a double elimination bracket commonly used in gaming tournaments. let us assume that seeds #1 and #3 won their respective matches. these two teams would continue to the semi-finals where as the losing teams (#4 and #2) would fall into the losers bracket to fight for a second chance. their season would not be over after the quarter-final loss. losers bracket match would feature #2 against #4 and the winner would continue to climb the losers bracket. they would be against the loser of the Winners Bracket Semi-Final played later that day. the winner of that match would get to the Finals of TWL. due to the team of winners bracket never dropping into the losers bracket, they would have a one match advantage over the other team. series would start at 1-0 in a Best of 5 series (or Best of 3 for basing). the available time slots for the finals would be 2PM, 3:30PM and 5PM (or 3PM, 4:30PM and 6PM)."

. Hard Lock and Soft Lock

Though we deliberated the merits of both a hard and soft lock, we ultimately arrived upon the conclusion that both were necessary as a means of promoting squad solidarity as well as a technical "must have" given the current setup between the bots and the TWL Site.

Hard lock and Soft lock will now be pushed back. Soft lock will take effect week 3 while hard lock will take effect in week 6.

8. TWLD Resolution Limit

Quite simply, we felt the current resolution limits were necessary to promote an equal playing field for all.

The current resolution limit remains at 1280x1024 / 1440x900 for TWLD.

9. TWL Head Op

Last, but certainly not least, please say hello to the laggiest TWL Head Op of all-time: Turban !!

On a general note, please understand that these changes are not final. We are actively soliciting feedback from the player base to better structure TWL. As such, please take the time to post anything you may want to see changed in this thread. I ask that you keep the criticism constructive; we all understand that last season was run in a less than ideal manner.

-Tsunami
    Last edited by Tsunami; 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM.

Award Categories (TWLD):
    season MVP
    most improved player
    rookie of the year (if it applies since I was the first and last)
    best rusher/sniper/role player

turban as head twl op is a great change. get rid of that faggot tiny now please.
    1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent Seal View Post
      Award Categories (TWLD):
      season MVP
      most improved player
      rookie of the year (if it applies since I was the first and last)
      best rusher/sniper/role player

turban as head twl op is a great change. get rid of that faggot tiny now please.
      I agree but rookie of the year should just be called "Crescent Seal" u earned this by winning it so many times.
      It would say Crescent Seal: playername
      Some staffmembers might misinterpret and twd/twl ban you two though, but that da risk of being tw's coolest player(s).

Is this gna b playerbased voting or voting by experts/vets?
      Eg ppl like apok/engineers/... for wb
      ppl like rough/ease/turban for jav, not zidane because he is easily beaten in money tournaments in this his main ship by people who have different main ships, im quite sure the guy either is a baser or a bingo player.

Comment

lol my main man qpr almost won a money tourny, i nominate him in advance as player of the year for twl season 19
        Last edited by zidane; 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Looks good bros.
          Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
          Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
          Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
          Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
          Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
          Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
          Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

Hah, I saw zids original post to QPR and it was much angrier than that
            TWL-J Season 11 Champion
            TWL-J Season 21 Champion
            TWL-B Season 21 Champion
            TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
            TWDT-D 2017 Champion
            TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Oranje View Post
              I agree but rookie of the year should just be called "Crescent Seal" u earned this by winning it so many times.
              It would say Crescent Seal: playername
              Some staffmembers might misinterpret and twd/twl ban you two though, but that da risk of being tw's coolest player(s).
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

wud be honored 2 receive the Crescent Seal
                1:Cape> is infrared the thing that microwave does?
                Cape> i thought it was like u inferred
                1:Cape> yo when u look up at the night sky and see billions of night stars
                1:Cape> im like fuk it let this shit end

Tsunami> LOl
                beam> stfu tsunami
                Tsunami> yo this girl is dead up snoring
                beam> ur blacker than tarcoal
                Tsunami> should end her life while she sleeps

Comment

here's a couple of suggestions for the categories to be used in the end of season award ceremony. admittedly, i haven't given these categories that much thought, but this should give you the gist of our earlier suggestion.

End of Season Award Categories (Warbird)

Rookie of the Year
                  or Most Improved Player
                  Best Player of the Playoffs
                  Most Valuable Player

End of the Season Award Categories (Javelin)

Rookie of the Year or Most Improved Player
                  Most Valuable Player (Overall)

End of the Season Award Categories (Basing)

Best Player of the Playoffs (Any Ship)

Most Valuable Player (Any Ship)
                  Best Shark Pair of the Season
                  Best Spider/Special of the Season
                  Best Terrier of the Season

End of the Season Award Categories (Miscellaneous)

Best Captain
                  Most Valuable Player

if you have any other suggestions, please let us know. we will finalize the proposed changes in the upcoming weeks and the end of season awards are still up for grabs. we would probably select few respected players from the community to do the picks.
                  Last edited by Turban; 06-08-2014, 04:03 AM. Reason: fixed etc

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko View Post
                    Hah, I saw zids original post to QPR and it was much angrier than that
                    Ya but apparently he actually gave it some thought and changed his mind because he realized it's no use to vs someone who is better at him at his main ship nor that it is useful to continue making up new excuses.
                    Him realizing that and the humility that comes with it, very mature of him, I respect that a lot.
                    Not many people have that.

Like I said zid, I consider you my buddy now, you already know the chat you can join.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
                      here's a couple of suggestions for the categories to be used in the end of season award ceremony. admittedly, i haven't given these categories that much thought, but this should give you the gist of our earlier suggestion.

End of Season Award Categories (Warbird)

Crescent Seal
                      Best Player of the Regular Season

End of the Season Award Categories (Javelin)

Crescent Seal
                      Best Player of the Regular Season
                      Edited it a bit. How are you going to decide on sportsmanship?

Comment

I approve of the Crescent Seal.

Comment

Crescent Seal of Approval
                          Former TW Staff

Comment

ill take my multiple twl titles and mvps over a go tourny duel to 5 vs someone aliasing/running. thx bud, i hope this is the year you go positive in a single twld match, black china seems like the real deal : )

Comment

doubling the amount of regular season games is a horrendous idea. 14 games = 14 weeks of regular season = 3+ months? If you add in all the rematches and whatnot, this could easily run from Mid-September to Early January.

Keep the number of games the same. I don't want to play 3 months worth of regular season games.

zid you're honest to god pissing us all off.
                              4:BigKing> xD
                              4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                              4:BigKing> what did i do???
                              4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                              4:BigKing> ???? why though
                              4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                              4:BigKing> xD

Comment

Working...
                              X