Best Squads in TWLB History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Squads in TWLB History

In Tier 1, The championship teams of Penetrate's Season 12 & 14 campaigns come on top as the most dominant squads in history, alongside Season 18 behemoth's Pandora and Dice, both the strongest iterations of the basing mainstays.

Tier 2 shows that Thunder is without a doubt the best basing squad to never reach a final, as their Season 12 & 15 iterations were some of the best of all-time, and Season 14 Pandora had the misfortune of facing the second best squad in the last 7 years in the Finals, while Respect lost out to Dice's second strongest season. Disoblige's best team didn't even finish second despite being in the Top 10 best teams, as they took part in the strongest TWLB season in history:

In fact, that season was so strong, the S12 Average of all eight teams would fall into Tier 3!! (Every other season falls into Tier 5 or 6.)

Tier 3 sees a plethora of talented squads, including 3 Champions (Dice S15, Dice S16, and Pandora S17), Runner Up Pirates as well as Mainliner from Season 12, Enemy and Revenge from Season 18, which does seem like an anomaly since Revenge from Season 17 was clearly stronger, although they did only lose to the #1 ranked team on the list in the Semi-Finals. We also see S13's Mad, S14's Sk8, and S15's Penetrate.

On we go to Tier 4, where a pair of finalists in Season 17's Revenge and Season 15's Sage, and I think you could make a strong case both those squads belong in Tier 3 -- S15 Sage was a powerhouse and probably slightly better than S15 Dice even though they lost in three rounds (albeit they did have more aggregate time overall.) If I were meddling with the tiers and where I felt squads should be, they definitely would be up a tier, but I'm leaving the judgment entirely to the KP30M, which is is corollary, not causal. We also have Season 17 Penetrate, which narrowly lost out in the SF to eventual champions Pandora, as well as S12 Spastic and S14 Sage.

Tier 5 holds what I would personally agree is the weakest team to ever make a TWLB Final in S16 Penetrate, where they got absolutely demolished by Dice in two swift rounds, never even hitting 10 minutes in the best-of-3 to 15. Here we also find the only iteration of BasingCrew, an overachieving LEGO (that beat the aforementioned Penetrate during the regular season), and mediocre outings from Pandora and Dice.

Tier 6 has the infamous HEIST from S16, originally called 14/f/Cali, which lost out to eventual champs Dice in the semis, with the rest of the tier dominated by squads from Season 13, including Penetrates worst showing, Brainwave, Thunder, and Rapid.

Then we have Tier 7, where Dice Season 12 represented the low point for the winningest squad of all-time, alongside a respectable showing from Freebie in S14, Anti-Scrub in S13, and the imploding, inactive iteration of Sage's Season 17.

Tier 8 sees the last two seasons from Dudgeon, solid outings from Cobra in S17 and Value/Fierce in S18, as well as Spastic and Sweet.

Tier 9 is where we really start to see sub-par squadrons, including Hit and Paladen from Season 15, Real and the 0-7 Fierce from Season 16, and Spastic from Season 17.

Disoblige's final season sits alone in Tier 10, behind my well-captained Paladen a tier higher. An ignominious end for a once great basing squad.

Tier 11 is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, with atrocious entries from S14 Trauma+, S16 Spastic, and S18 Warhable.

Finally, in Tier 12, we have the two worst basing squads in history in Season 13's Techunique and Season 17's Raid. You're an embarrassment to basing.

-----

On the Methodology:

Statistics are limited to squads from Season 12 onward, so unfortunately the many talented squads from Seasons 6 to 11 aren't included. I'm using KP30M (Kills Per 30 Minutes) to evaluate the dominance of the squads, since spidering is a function of good sharking and quality terr drops. Also, KP30M was the only metric with a strong correlation to success. Spider %, Teks per 30 Minutes, and everything else available on the TWL website had no predictive value.

When using statistics to rank things, it's much more beneficial to stratify them into tiers. Saying #15 is better than #16 has little value and isn't necessarily true, whereas saying a squad in Tier 1 is better than a squad in Tier 2 has far more predictive value and is far more likely to be true. I'm too stupid to figure out how to apply a clustering algorithm called the Gaussian mixture model to separate the tiers, so I did it by eye, so it may not be perfect, but the idea in principle is mathematically sound and proven in Fantasy Football, where a data scientist at the New York Times publishes tiers weekly:

Even though Matt Forte is above Marshawn Lynch, it doesn't matter which player you start as long as they're from the same tier; the minute difference isn't relevant. Starting Jamaal Charles over Eddy Lacy, however, is significant and predictive over a long period of time to be statistically superior.
    top 100 basers list

Cripples didn't make the list? And by 'best' I assume that you are ignoring everything except win/loss. How do you factor in the deltas in the game/maps/strategies over time? (For example Pandora and Dice were not even around before cramming.)
    Eph

Comment

Mambo
      Kemopetrol
      Pallies
      Final
      ... could go on ...

Comment

yeah juice is nowhere on these charts, hope stat crunching isnt how u make a living
        NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

This list is really, really bad. It's like you took all the basing squads from the last few years only, and claim that it's the entire history of TW. Seriously, this is atrocious and I don't even base.
          RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

props for giving penetrate the love it deserves though, never forget

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
              Cripples didn't make the list?
              Eph
              Originally posted by Exalt
              It's like you took all the basing squads from the last few years only.
              Originally posted by Rab
              Mambo
              Kemopetrol
              Pallies
              Final
              ... could go on ...
              Originally posted by Jerome
              yeah juice is nowhere on these charts, hope stat crunching isnt how u make a living

How do you idiots even manage to breathe? Read the whole post before writing stupid questions that have already been answered.

Originally posted by Claushouse
              On the Methodology:

Statistics are limited to squads from Season 12 onward, so unfortunately the many talented squads from Seasons 6 to 11 aren't included. I'm using KP30M (Kills Per 30 Minutes) to evaluate the dominance of the squads, since spidering is a function of good sharking and quality terr drops. Also, KP30M was the only metric with a strong correlation to success. Spider %, Teks per 30 Minutes, and everything else available on the TWL website had no predictive value.

When using statistics to rank things, it's much more beneficial to stratify them into tiers. Saying #15 is better than #16 has little value and isn't necessarily true, whereas saying a squad in Tier 1 is better than a squad in Tier 2 has far more predictive value and is far more likely to be true. I'm too stupid to figure out how to apply a clustering algorithm called the Gaussian mixture model to separate the tiers, so I did it by eye, so it may not be perfect, but the idea in principle is mathematically sound and proven in Fantasy Football, where a data scientist at the New York Times publishes tiers weekly
              Like just about every post I have ever made, it is a statistical analysis -- and therefore it is limited to the statistics available on the TWL website -- WHICH ARE LIMITED. I compiled the stats from every team between Season 12 to 18 (since, as I stated, stats before this season aren't available.) I'm sorry my slightly hyperbolic title confused you -- it must be difficult for you to navigate the world wide web constantly clicking on Buzzfeed-y articles and writing letters to the editor about the contents not perfectly matching the title on the link.

What I used to rank the teams, as I explained already, is Kills Per 30 Minutes -- given the extremely limited amount of data, this is the only metric with any predictive value. A team in Tier 1 is likely to be better than a team in Tier 2, very likely to be better than a team in Tier 3, almost certainly better than a team in Tier 4, and definitely better than a team in Tier 5. As I noted, you can cherry pick individual teams and find issues. For example, Revenge S17 was stronger than Revenge S18, yet the latter is one tier higher. Anyone can tell you S17 was by far the better team. I chose to not subjectively rearrange anything and let the data set stand.

Originally posted by Ephemeral[/quote
              How do you factor in the deltas in the game/maps/strategies over time? (For example Pandora and Dice were not even around before cramming.)
              I'm glad you asked that! Ya I did factor in all the deltas, good eye! I've been using undetectable bots to assess expected value from any position, based on NBA sabermetricians:

NO I DIDN'T factor in the "deltas", you fucking moron. Does this look like the NBA to you? Do you have a billion dollar tracking system for advanced metrics that you've been using to collect data for the past 10 years that I don't know about? I'd be happy to use that instead of KP30M.
              top 100 basers list

Comment

So you probably shouldn't title the thread "Best squads in TWLB history" when it's only "Best TWLB squads from Seasons 12 and up"

Don't blame us for your own mistakes.
                RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

1) holy fuck ty for reminding me to breathe i almost fuckin died

2) ty for answering the questions noone asked in the first place to give us stats which by your own admission are incomplete to show conclusions which noone will agree with. let me get on my knees and suck ur dick.

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                    So you probably shouldn't title the thread "Best squads in TWLB history" when it's only "Best TWLB squads from Seasons 12 and up"

Don't blame us for your own mistakes.
                    You're right man, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you can't fucking read the actual post where it clearly states stats before Season 12 aren't available. I'm sorry you're too stupid to deduce just from that chart itself that the championship teams of Dice S10 and Dice S11 didn't make the list but Warhable S18 and Paladen S15 did, and make that big mental leap to deduce on your own that those seasons weren't included for a reason.
                    Last edited by ogron; 10-07-2014, 08:55 PM.
                    top 100 basers list

Comment

man...an incredible amount of useless cunts here shitting all over claus when hes one of the few people providing any interesting content these days

take this as what claus intended it to be, an interesting read. ephemeral asking about deltas...shut the fk up man LOL
                      (fLaReD)>im a fgt

Comment

do any of you think that squads pre twl season 12 could even compete with any of these top squads listed other than dice in s10 s11?
                        1:Riverside> you guys eat schmores in america?

Comment

Originally posted by RaCka View Post
                          do any of you think that squads pre twl season 12 could even compete with any of these top squads listed other than dice in s10 s11?
                          a-s season 6 all day, jacklyn most underrated multishipper out there

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by rAiNbOw SeEkEr View Post
                            take this as what claus intended it to be, an interesting read. ephemeral asking about deltas...shut the fk up man LOL
                            if klaushaus replied to ppl like this it wouldnt be fun fucking with him but did u see that amazing wall of text he posted? sry but clearly he needs to get it out of his system and im just helping him heal

internet de la jerome

Comment

rimbow my fkn boy. agree with him : )

Comment

Working...
                              X