Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Achievement system's going in ASAP. But not unless you put in your buck oh five.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achievement system's going in ASAP. But not unless you put in your buck oh five.

I'd like to get achievements going as rapidly as possible, and with that in mind, I'm putting out a request for achievements relating to TW's pub, and perhaps also other arenas. (I'd like a system that works zone-wide... the focus on pub for some of the stuff is artificial in an unnecessary way. Probably get the bots talking to eachother... anyhow.) So achievements for pub, and then achievements for specific arenas, or "Globals," which track across the entire zone.

Obviously we need to get this going so we can get on Steam, by the way. (If you haven't, vote to Greenlight right f-ing now pls! ) So: it's important. Let's get down to it, team effort and all that good hippie stuff we all love. We need to save this game we are all into, and we all want to do it. %104%104%104

Format:
    [NAMEOFARENA (local to the arena named) ||(OR) GLOBAL (counted toward across all major arenas, including possibly events)] Pub Achievement Name: As ship (omit if for all ships), do this to achieve (usually multiple amount of an action, or sometimes one special action) while sometimes also doing something else, being somewhere else, etc. -- some linking logical condition.
    Example:
    [PUB] Baptist on the John: As Levi, kill 50 Warbirds while also on the toilet with your mom's stupid laptop that powers down if you kind of jiggle the cord the wrong way when you're reaching for the toilet paper. ffffffff

Copy/paste template for lazies like u (lazy r ppl 2):
    [ARENA] Name: As

Thanks guise. fiS also posted achievements that she and her secret lover composed together in love, but at present only staff can view it (for semi-obvious reasons, due to some achievements ending up being hidden). Will see what she says about posting the public ones to get a list started.

We need to get to around 100. We've got maybe 30 but they're very basic for the most part, right now. I just took this project over from SpookedOne. We need to beat this sucker to win All The Grapes.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

How would you implement achievements beyond "you earned a total of 50 kills this session, NEW RECORD" or "You've killed 350 wbs as a wb, you're an amazing duelist"? What sort of information is gathered by bots besides kills/deaths/behind the scenes latency stuff? I've seen continuum or TW's motto somewhere before and to the best of my knowledge it stated that the game, while easy to get running and playing, takes quite a while to master.

I'm not sure how to explain myself really but it's my belief that almost nothing in this game can be defined by an achievement. The ship control, aim, mind games, team aspect, how many of these skills can be put into the achievement format? The bot will never recognize if you held out on a shot on purpose to make the enemy waste energy, letting your team kill him. And if the achievement system is a fancy kill counter then I say why bother--I'll still be mashing F2.

If you can find an ingenious way to record some of the more nuanced aspects of TW and put it into an achievement that's great, and perhaps I underestimate the power of the current bots. Maybe there is a better use of time/resources though?
    sigpic

Comment

It'll be basic achievements for the most part, with a few more "advanced" or difficult ones tossed in.
      It would be more beneficial to the newer players (give them something to work towards) than those of us who have been around the block a few times.

I imagine there would be something like "Win 10 duels in a row in warbird" and "Win a duel, getting 5 kills without dieing once" (that one worded to prevent a lagout/forfeit from triggering it"

My only problem with this is... we are trying to lessen the database usage of our bots in pub, won't this just undo a lot of the work we are trying to do in that regard?
      Former TW Staff

Comment

Some ideas:

[PUB] Your first ship: Enter the game in any ship
        [PUB] Your first kill: Kill any player
        [PUB] Tried em all: Kill at least one player while in each ship
        [PUB] Killed em all: Kill at least one player in each ship
        [PUB] Warbird killer: Kill 100 players who are in a Warbird (do this for all ships)
        [PUB] Warbird fighter: Kill 100 players while in a warbird (do this for all ships)
        [PUB] Basing beginner: Capture the flag for your team
        [PUB] Basing intermediate: Win 10 flag games
        [PUB] Basing Master: Win 100 flag games
        [PUB] Point Scorer: Score 100k cumulative points
        [PUB] Points Master: Score 1 million cumulative points in pub
        [PUB] Dueling beginner: Compete in your first duel
        [PUB] Intermediate dueler: win 10 duels
        [PUB] Master dueler: Win 25 duels
        [PUB] SuperStar: Buy your first super
        [PUB] Streaker: Get a 5 killstreak
        [PUB] Streaker 2: Get a 10 killstreak
        [PUB] Streaker 3: Get a 15 killstreak
        [GLOBAL or PUB] Commander: Use your first bot command
        [GLOBAL] TWD Master: Play in 100 TWD games
        [GLOBAL] Noob:1 hour of usage
        [GLOBAL] Intermediate: 10 hours of usage
        [GLOBAL] Veteren: 50 hours of usage
        [GLOBAL] Squadmate: Join your first squad!
        [GLOBAL] Chatter: Join your first ?chat
        [GLOBAL] Cheater!: recieve your first ban or silence
        [WBDUEL/JAVDUEL] Warbird dueler: play your first wbduel match
        [WBDUEL/JAVDUEL] Warbird beginner: win your first wbduel match
        [WBDUEL/JAVDUEL] Warbird intermediate: win 10 wbduel matches
        [WBDUEL/JAVDUEL] Warbird Master: Win 25 wbduel matches
        [ELIM] Meet Roboref: Play your first elim
        [ELIM] Eliminated: Get eliminated from your first game
        [ELIM] Eliminator: Win your first elim
        [ELIM] Warbird Streaker: Get a 5 kill streak in WB
        [ELIM] Javelin Streaker: Get a 5 kill streak in Jav
        [ELIM] 2fer king: Get 5 2fers in Jav
        [ELIM] Play in 10 elim games
        [ELIM] Play in 50 elim games
        [TWDD] Play your first TWDD game
        [TWDD] Win your first TWDD game
        [TWDD] Play 10 TWDD games
        [TWDD] Play 25 TWDD games
        [TWDD] Play 50 TWDD games
        [TWJD] Play your first TWJD game
        [TWJD] Win your first TWJD game
        [TWJD] Play 10 TWJD games
        [TWJD] Play 25 TWJD games
        [TWJD] Play 50 TWJD games
        [TWBD] Play your first TWBD game
        [TWBD] Win your first TWBD game
        [TWBD] Play 10 TWBD games
        [TWBD] Play 25 TWBD games
        [TWBD] Play 50 TWBD games

Comment

[PUB] I Just Blue Myself: As a terrier, get killed by an attached leviathan.
          [PUB] Let God Sort 'Em Out: Get 25 or more kills in a Killathon
          [ELIM] Dimaggio Would Be Proud: Win 5 Elims in a row!
          [PRODEM] That Wasn't Even My Final Form: Win a hosted PRODEM event
          [WORMHOLE] My Name Is John Crichton: Win a hosted Wormhole event
          [MDG] Sanger's Got Nothing On Me: Win a hosted Most Dangerous Game event
          [HUNT] Prey, Meet Predator: Win a hosted Hunt event
          [TW*D] AKA Envy Me: MVP a TWD round
          [TEAM DM] There's No "I" In Team...: Survive and help win a Team Deathmatch event
          [TEAM DM] ...However, There Is "Me": MVP a Team Deathmatch event
          [ZOMBIES] Groovy.: Survived long enough to reach a safe zone in a Zombies event
          [ZOMBIES] Mmm, Brains...: Kill 5 survivors as a Zombie in a Zombies event
          [WW3] Back To Back World War Champs: Survive and win the WW3 event
          Last edited by Ganon-Knight; 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM.
          GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Didnt wna poison this thread with my joke image in because the thread is too valuable; so hereby i just link to thread just made for those interested;

http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthr...or-TW&p=851291

Comment

I see lots of good and interesting suggestions but very few of them are about basing.

If we implement any new kind of reward system it should not distract from the main purpose of the game.

Comment

We can have basing + other achievements in pub (ship-based (1 kill, 10 kills etc., amount of time played, flags saved) as well as elsewhere. The main thing is (imho) to make this as appealing to newcomers as well as to established veterans.

I would personally love to see the bot pm me: You just killed 10 people. Congrats!
                "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                Dral>I can get implants

Comment

basing achievements?

[BASING] TeK oooon meeeee: Score 5 Terrier Kills in one basing match
                  [BASING] TeK meeee oooon: Score a Terrier Kill while the terrier has at least 2 attached ships
                  [BASING] Theme From Jaws: Score 3 Terrier Kills as a shark
                  [BASING] A Miner Problem: Repel the enemy shark's mine and cause a Terrier Kill with it.
                  [BASING] I'm Special!: Get selected and start the game as a Warbird, Javelin or Lancaster in ?go base
                  [BASING] Simply Perfect: Win a game in ?go base while not allowing the opposing team to capture any flag time.
                  [BASING] Close Only Counts In Horse Grenades: Win a game in ?go base by one second.
                  [BASING] I NEVER DIE: As a shark, lay 20 mines in a single life.
                  [BASING] Red On Red Violence: Score a Terrier Kill as a terrier.
                  [PUB] Rejected!: Capture the flag when the opposing team needs less than 5 seconds to win.
                  [PUB] This Is A Sneaking Mission: Make the winning flag capture as a weasel.
                  [PUB] Slow and Steady: Make the winning flag capture as a leviathan.
                  [PUB] Repel This!: Kill a terrier with a leviathan attached.
                  GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Here are the obvious concerns;

- One person’s ‘that a boy’ is another person’s spam. Additionally this ‘feature’ is like having background music constantly playing, it might be ok at first but after an hour it become maddening. Is it safe to assume that there will be a way to disable these if a person does not want to see them?

- And while having a few might be novel they will certainly become less meaningful as additional ones are added.

- WTF is this ‘we need around 100’ criteria? What is the purpose of having a certain amount of them?

- Rewarding individual achievements goes counter to the teamwork mission statement of the game.

- The very last thing that this dying game needs is more ‘rewards’ that encourages vets to own the newer players.

- I must be missing something here, why is this needed to get on Steam? Surely Steam does not require game developers to change their game code to meet their requirements.

- Were there many requests for this ‘feature’ from the playing population or is this a ‘we can code it so we should do it’ project? Or?

- Is the intent to reward players or to show everyone just how clever and cute we can be with ‘funny’ zoners?

- And lastly, how is it going to be determined if this ‘feature’ has been successful? Or is this going to be just one more in the endless line of ‘good ideas’ which gets implemented in a vacuum and without any way of ever really knowing if it has had any positive of negative impact on population?

I would support this ‘feature’ only if it is used very sparingly, used only to encourage new players and/or for rewarding team play, and only if there is a way to disable it if you don’t want to see it. Sounds like a lot of work with very little payback. But for God’s sake please do not force this ‘feature’ on the game just because it has taken a lot of hard work to get it done.
                    eph

Comment

Basing achievements:

- win a basing game in TW pub (your freq wins 3 rounds)
                      - win 3 basing games in a row
                      - kill the enemy terrier 5 times
                      - successfully defend the flagroom by saving the flag (flag saviour)
                      etc.

Just to point out a few to show it can be done.
                      "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                      Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                      Dral>I can get implants

Comment

Originally posted by mtine View Post
                        Basing achievements:

- win a basing game in TW pub (your freq wins 3 rounds)
                        - win 3 basing games in a row
                        - kill the enemy terrier 5 times
                        - successfully defend the flagroom by saving the flag (flag saviour)
                        etc.

Just to point out a few to show it can be done.

- Be the sole base terrier for more than 3 minutes
                        - Be a shark and defend the base (2+ RPD)
                        - Be a spider and defend the base (15 kills or more in a match)
                        - Be a Leviathan attached to a Terrier and achieve 300 or more bounty after attaching, without detaching.
                        - * 600, etc.
                        - Be a Terrier and help a Leviathan achieve 300 or more bounty....etc.
                        - Kill the enemy base terrier with a shark bomb.
                        - * mine.
                        - Kill an enemy Leviathan who has 80 or more bounty.
                        - Kill an enemy Terrier with 200 or more bounty.
                        - Place first in a match of Kill-o-thon
                        - * second
                        - * third
                        - Kill an enemy while you have less than 10 energy remaining while in a Shark.
                        - Kill an enemy who has less than 10 energy.
                        - Achieve more than X bounty in a <ship 1-8> without entering a safe zone, warping or attaching.

5:59, gotta leave work. I came up with these in the past 10 minutes. Surely there's many more. I just stopped thinking, I didn't run out of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        X