you eat bullets fired >520 px from the edge of your screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you eat bullets fired >520 px from the edge of your screen

I was shocked to find this out. If you already knew, grats. Posting this for fairness so everyone knows.

Code:
          turban> little does he know you can't kill people who aren't on your radar in TWLD arenas
          turban> so you can't even stray
             Rab> wait, what
             Rab> there's a setting about how far bullets work?
          turban> yes.
             Rab> and it's different in different arenas?
          turban> if a bullet is fired from a distance greater than 520 pixels from the edge of your screen, it will not register to your client.
          turban> for bombs its like 2048 pixels
          turban> if shot in your direction
          turban> TWLD arena has a bit more zoomed out radar
          turban> which is 2500x2500 size
          turban> max res limit is 1920xXXXX for TWLD
          turban> so you can't possibly kill anyone off radar
          turban> not counting unlucky spawns etc
          turban> it's just one of those mechanics not many know about
          turban> as an example if you play on 480x320 res for whatever eason
          turban> you will eat a metric fuck ton of bullets
          turban> because they never register on your client
             Rab> wtf
             Rab> 2560x1440 vs 1920x1080 is common
             Rab> that's fkin broken
          turban> so if someone on 2560x fires a bullet, and opponent plays on a small res
          turban> and that bullet is fired on the edge of an opponent
             Rab> so a 1080p guy is gonna eat the 1440p guy's bullets
          turban> chances are it won't register at all
          turban> ye
          turban> correct
    Everyone get 1280x1024 because it's the best cheat in the game.. \o/

I thought radar was the same size regardless if you use 1280x1024 vs 1920x1080.
    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

you are correct. radar settings, which include things such as radar zoom, neutral size, and four different radar mode possibilities, are determined by arena settings. none of these aforementioned settings are affected by the monitor resolution of a player and thus are at a fixed value.

we made some minor setting changes to TWL arenas several seasons ago, think it was right before season 18 started, and one of the changes were to radar where it was adjusted to be roughly 2500px by 2500px in size. this change was only made to TWLD, and the intention of this change was to eliminate all off-radar strays from the league as now there is no chance to be killed by a player who fired a shot while not being on your radar. this is because of a client limitation where any bullet fired from a distance greater than 512 pixels from the edge of your screen will simply not register on your client.

surprisingly few players know about this, but if you play with radar grid on it becomes quite obvious that TWLD has a slightly more zoomed out radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
        you are correct. radar settings, which include things such as radar zoom, neutral size, and four different radar mode possibilities, are determined by arena settings. none of these aforementioned settings are affected by the monitor resolution of a player and thus are at a fixed value.

we made some minor setting changes to TWL arenas several seasons ago, think it was right before season 18 started, and one of the changes were to radar where it was adjusted to be roughly 2500px by 2500px in size. this change was only made to TWLD, and the intention of this change was to eliminate all off-radar strays from the league as now there is no chance to be killed by a player who fired a shot while not being on your radar. this is because of a client limitation where any bullet fired from a distance greater than 512 pixels from the edge of your screen will simply not register on your client.

surprisingly few players know about this, but if you play with radar grid on it becomes quite obvious that TWLD has a slightly more zoomed out radar.
        It is incredibly hard to kill someone not in your radar since you can't radar aim at them without a location of where they may be adjusting for time the bullet has to travel and future position. In other words again, who cares about this? it's almost a none scenario and it means strays outside of the shooters radar won't kill you, which is actually a good thing. that is also the actual definition of a stray since any shot a person makes when you are on their radar could actually be deemed radar/mini-map aiming.

I guess you're saying ships will appear on the radar still since the arena has a zoomed our radar so the edge of the radar is actually beyond 512px? but that's the problem of the arena, just given the arena the normal radar zoom, i don't know why it's increased when it's pretty much useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post

It is incredibly hard to kill someone not in your radar since you can't radar aim at them without a location of where they may be adjusting for time the bullet has to travel and future position. In other words again, who cares about this? it's almost a none scenario and it means strays outside of the shooters radar won't kill you, which is actually a good thing. that is also the actual definition of a stray since any shot a person makes when you are on their radar could actually be deemed radar/mini-map aiming.

I guess you're saying ships will appear on the radar still since the arena has a zoomed our radar so the edge of the radar is actually beyond 512px? but that's the problem of the arena, just given the arena the normal radar zoom, i don't know why it's increased when it's pretty much useless.
          .. yes, it is very hard to kill someone who is not on your radar. It seems like your deduction levels are through the roof today.

All joking aside, it is worth noting that there used to be strategies at higher levels of competition where players would request for coordinates of enemy players and then launch seemingly random shots to that general area. This strategy was often used in conjunction with voice chat applications and no longer effective with the current TWLD settings. It was also common to see players completely miss their initial target, but the bullet would continue to travel well past their radar range and end up hitting an unfortunate player who had no chance of predicting a shot from coming from that angle. This change may seem insignificant or pointless to some of our players, however I do feel it makes complete sense when looking at it from a competitive perspective. It perhaps only means one or two less stray kills in a closely contested match when compared to the old settings, but those kills could be all the difference between winning or losing a match.

One could argue being lucky is skillful, but I digress.

I feel it would be largely beneficial to further increase the radar zoom of all our competitive arenas. It may feel slightly awkward at first, but has a lot of added benefits such as finding your enemies or team mates faster, having an easier time to predict the movement path an enemy is trying to take in order to escape a sticky situation, and overall it rewards skillful players who have developed a tendency to often glance at their radar to change or adapt their approach on the fly during a match. There are some downsides such as lesser skilled players likely trying to radar aim from too far away, and with none of their bullets having any chance of killing due to the client limitation these players would end up having even worse scores.

As an example SVS, which is in my opinion the most competitive zone in the game, has a very zoomed out radar which results in some more advanced strategies to be developed.

Comment

As an example SVS, which is in my opinion the most competitive zone in the game
            It is, albeit it will die soon if they don't find a new league chief. Also you are pretty great to explain things, I always feel convinced.

Comment

.. yes, it is very hard to kill someone who is not on your radar. It seems like your deduction levels are through the roof today.

All joking aside, it is worth noting that there used to be strategies at higher levels of competition where players would request for coordinates of enemy players and then launch seemingly random shots to that general area. This strategy was often used in conjunction with voice chat applications and no longer effective with the current TWLD settings. It was also common to see players completely miss their initial target, but the bullet would continue to travel well past their radar range and end up hitting an unfortunate player who had no chance of predicting a shot from coming from that angle. This change may seem insignificant or pointless to some of our players, however I do feel it makes complete sense when looking at it from a competitive perspective. It perhaps only means one or two less stray kills in a closely contested match when compared to the old settings, but those kills could be all the difference between winning or losing a match.

One could argue being lucky is skillful, but I digress.

I feel it would be largely beneficial to further increase the radar zoom of all our competitive arenas. It may feel slightly awkward at first, but has a lot of added benefits such as finding your enemies or team mates faster, having an easier time to predict the movement path an enemy is trying to take in order to escape a sticky situation, and overall it rewards skillful players who have developed a tendency to often glance at their radar to change or adapt their approach on the fly during a match. There are some downsides such as lesser skilled players likely trying to radar aim from too far away, and with none of their bullets having any chance of killing due to the client limitation these players would end up having even worse scores.

As an example SVS, which is in my opinion the most competitive zone in the game, has a very zoomed out radar which results in some more advanced strategies to be developed.
              Yeah, tl;dr version of my previous post is that i'm in favor of >520px doing no damage, since it's pointless if it does damage and the only way to make it viable as you pointed out is to cheat with spec. viable being more than 1/20 chance to get a kill.

I don't see a benefit to increasing radar zoom, if you want to find players just decrease the map size over time, anyone outside the border before the timer expires is out of the match or just have a fixed smaller map like normal people, the map is insanely and unnecessarily large in elim and could be decreased by 20%, which would not be a dramatic decrease at all, it would still be a large map.

the drawback of increasing radar zoom is that you change the dynamic of wb elim, part of the strategy is not always knowing exactly where a person is and where they might drop in on your radar. turban you want to quantify every aspect of the game... i think a lot of things can and should be quantified but if everything is measured and predictable it also becomes less entertaining. seeing someone 3 screens away is not IMMEDIATELY necessary, so the small unpredictability it provides to elim to NOT see people three screens away should remain so the game doesn't feel 100% in your control, and is hence more fun. maybe it will feel 95 or 97% in your control. of course i would also argue if a game was only 50% in your control it's horrible and more luck based, you don't want extremes here, you want a very slight unpredictability in every type of gameplay.

this debate is almost like higher screen res vs lower screen res (except now it has to do with radar vision), at least in that case it's up to the individual player... but i think there will be many people still who actually value the ability to win with lower resolutions.. the same logic can be applied here. please just keep the standard setting for radar that the game provides. Pro league is actually breaking with SVS settings if they adjusted their radar, it means they actually customized something differently from the original game. interesting.
              Last edited by Falconeer; 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X