No announcement yet.

TSL and Basing Cup Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Turban re: early KO's (rewarding early KOers and penalising the early KOed.)

Two quick points re: basing ratings that I've borrowed from the SVS statbox.

1) For sharks - an interesting metric would be "wasted reps". This measures both missed spawned reps, and missed greened reps. This reflects more of the "missed opportunity" factor that I think often separates elite sharks from good sharks. It has one draw back in that, in certain circumstances, not repping (and dying with your reps) is the best possible strategy for that death (when terrier is behind enemy mines.) But generally I feel this would be a slight improvement on RPD (where mistakes and inefficiency can be flattered by greened reps.)

2) For spiders - an interesting metric might be "damage inflicted". This would give spiders who make selfless but impactful plays (draining sharks to waste reps, for example) a small edge over spiders who tend to cherry pick easy kills.

In a similar vein, you might be able to produce a ratio between "damage sustained" and "deaths" to give a kind of resilience factor. It seems to me that the art to good spidering is being able to sustain high damage and not be killed - and being able to straddle that fine line for maximum efficiency.
    Last edited by MHz; 11-02-2021, 10:32 AM.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
      stats that in my opinion should have some extra weight would be:

- player eliminations giving bonus points relative to how close the match is at that moment. these kills are worth far more than your regular kill as they tend to swing the match in favor of one team. first elimination should have more value than the rest with it slowly scaling down. there are exceptions such as 1vs1 or when someone turns around a disadvantageous 1vs2 situation. additional points for being on the winning team.
      I had the same thought, I asked BIET about this and he said from a bot perspective it would be very difficult to code and probably unlikely. I agree that if you could factor score and 3v3 or 5v1 would be amazing... a 5v1 KO at 48-34 is worthless, but a 3v3 one at 40-40 is high value.

- early eliminations from a game should be slightly penalized where as staying alive should be rewarded. this should be relative to current game score as dying out at around 30-30 score can be very detrimental to your chances of winning. I know this could lead into some players playing far too safe so only minimal value gain would be preferred.
      this one has less value, and I can think of a particular low value warbird who would get max points from this staying alive on 3 every game while his team is on 9.

- I don't agree that grinding 100 games should give someone massive advantage to qualify for playoffs compared to someone playing only 20 games.

quick example would be that someone plays 74 games in TSL. we would look at the average value of that player across 47 games (base 20 + 27 as the player played 54 extra games). this still gives an advantage to players who want to grind out games, but it's not nearly as massive. it also rewards players for being consistent as players with huge performance swings should not be rewarded which is what the current system essentially does when someone plays far too many games. you could tweak these values to be more strict which would be my recommendation.

as far as players going inactive you could start giving a small value penalty to players who don't play for a week with it slowly ramping up to more and more loss. many games with ranking systems use a similar system for inactive players to promote activity.
      Not a bad idea, I just worry about adding coding, formula, and bot complexity for small value gains, for a league meant to fill the gap between November and Christmas that starts in 2 weeks.
      top 100 basers list

Comment

can anyone bring back TWLM or something similar to tack onto the TSL stuff?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

can we just, up front, eliminate aliases from TSL? or at least give everyone the opportunity to register with the bot... and then have no chance to reregister a new name. you pick a name and you play on it the entire time. you may not choose a new alias to register.

is there any reason not to do this other than some asshole wanting to alias for no reason other than to be annoying?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

IIRC aliasing was always banned. you had to play on 1 name and that's it.
            top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Zeebu View Post
              can we just, up front, eliminate aliases from TSL? or at least give everyone the opportunity to register with the bot... and then have no chance to reregister a new name. you pick a name and you play on it the entire time. you may not choose a new alias to register.

is there any reason not to do this other than some asshole wanting to alias for no reason other than to be annoying?
              agreed, hopefully they clean aliases up.
              top 100 basers list

Comment

The rampant aliasing is getting really tired now. Obviously it's only mediocrity that can get away with aliasing, since true talent is always identifiable. Nevertheless is confers an advantage in that opponent players have to spend time figuring out how good you are during a game. Furthermore, some aliased guy "shamanzi" pretty much sabotaged a recent round I played by teamkilling me 3x carelessly, and then proceeding to go out 2-10... That's the kind of performance that would normally make me mentally consign you to the irredeemable trash heap of total fuckwad newbies, yet he avoids this censure and reputational damage by being aliased. Guillotine for aliasers imo.
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                X