TWDTB Quarterfinals Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWDTB Quarterfinals Preview

Disclaimer: I am always wrong about my predictions and I have no idea what I'm talking about. This was written to kill time at work and to get the hype train going for the playoffs. Hype!!

Treyway (6-3) vs Win or Die (5-4)

Treyway took down Win or Die 15:00-14:53 in Week 2 so you can expect this series to go the distance.
    Both teams are balanced in terr and shark with Zizu (morph/mvp) facing off against Heaven (markmrw/cig smoke), leaving this a battle of the spiders.
    Treyway boasts heavy hitters like Mouse, vys and auto in exchange for a weak under. Similarly, Win or Die has Rough and Cripple doing the heavy lifting for a trio of mid-tier spiders. While I expect Win or Die’s cripple to outkill anyone on Treyway’s team, the match will come down to who makes better plays in flagroom.
    Either team could advance here, but I’m betting Treway.

MVP watch: Cripple will put up huge numbers. Zizu could also always break out.
    Wildcard: Zizu doesn’t play with you, you play with Zizu. Depending on how many drinks he’s had, Zizu’s thirst for kills could cost his team the series.

Phoenix (6-3) vs Crusaders (3-6)

Phoenix quietly strung together a great season, with Ekko out-performing expectations and Dwopple dropping literal bombs on enemy squads.
    Crusaders, on the other hand, have struggled to get anything going despite having Frozen Throne in terr and Jamal and Zizzo in spid.
    Crusader’s Sprackle sits at Number 1 on the shark ratings despite his team having a 1 for 3 winrate, and you can expect Phoenix’s sharks to have a field day.
    Do yourself a favor, ekko, stay out of shrap lanes.

MVP watch: Dwopple’s bombs are deadly and he’s going to take full advantage of the massive gaps left by Sprackle’s thirst.
    Wildcard: Ekko is still unproven in high-pressure playoff situations (I think?). Under the right kind of pressure from Sprackle, he could crumble.

Terrorist (7-2) vs Malevolent (2-7)

With a core lineup of Makesto, Joe, Omega Red, Dreamwin Hellkite and TPZ, the 7-2 Terrorist look like the clear favorites here.
    Turban predicted that his “season largely depends on how Spartan performs as a terrier,” and he was half right. His season largely depends on how Spartan performs, but in shark. If he can find his mojo or Turban can find a replacement that isn’t Crazy Canockout, Malevolent could eke out an upset.
    That said, putting Crazy Canockout in shark against the 7-2 Terrorist would be a mistake, not least because dreamwin will switch to jav when his team is losing.
    Expect Terrorist to advance after a harder-fought battle than the preview looks on paper.

MVP Watch: Turban’s Week 5 shark performance demonstrated how much impact one player can make, if he’s in the game his team always has a chance. Dreamwin will also average over 3 TeKs per game.
    Wildcards: If any team is going to be able to capitalize on the campiness of Henry Saari it’s Malevolent. Still, if Turban can’t find a working shark companion, it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Power (7-2) vs Prayer (3-6)

Prayer has struggled to find a working shark combination this season, rotating between Zapata, Primordial and Flew. Zapata was in ship 8 for all 3 of Prayer’s wins, but 2 of them also came during Week 1 when teams had not yet built chemistry.
    Power on the other hand is 7-2 with Ogron finishing first place in the terr rankings, a shark duo from basing cup and a stable of spiders who complement each other’s playstyles.
    Mikkiz will make this game interesting, but expect Power to advance.

MVP watch: Ogron is having a killer season at 1.73 kpm (the highest of all starting terrs less Turban); sarger finished fifth in the spid race and promises to stack up the bodies, the Zu will use a thor’s hammer if needed.
    Wildcards: Prayer’s second shark spot. Flew’s got some thinking to do and it’ll be interesting to see who’s in the fat ship come game day.
    Last edited by Vehicle; 03-11-2022, 02:40 PM.
    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
    Message has been sent to online moderators
    2:BLeeN> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>no
    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
    2:BLeeN> ok then no
    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Nice read! Base ended up looking like 2 separate divisions this season, with 5 clear top teams, and 5 teams at or below 3-6. This means out quarterfinals don't look particularly competitive, but this is TW, and any given team can pull off an upset.

I generally agree with your picks. Those are the favorites, and the only matchup that looks relatively equal is Win or Die/Treyway. Beyond just their close matchup, their records against other top teams is fairly equal as well.

Treyway had an interesting season, with their only losses coming week 1 and week 5. En route to their orcasmashing week 5, they took out top seed Terrorist and WoD, but their weeks 3 & 4, where they cemented themselves as the #1 overall squad, were against some of the weakest squads. Still, their only truly non-competitive match was the week 1 game 1, and this is a different looking team since then. For starters, Mouse has returned from the freedom convoy, and it turns out he's a bit better at spider than apt.

Win or Die has had a much more routine season. Two of their losses are by under 10 seconds to Power and Treyway, while the latter two are a shaky W1 loss to Prayer (without Rough) and a Markmrw-less week 3 to dreamwin and his goons. Only 11 seconds separating them from first place and playing Malevolent. WoD's line is almost identical from their week 1 win over Malevolent to their week 5 win over Crusaders, because why change a winning combination?

My only other thought is that in your paragraph about Prayer (Prayeragraph) you kinda left out hulk. It seems like their winning combo is hulk/zapata, though they have the luxury of porkjet as a high star alternative as well. I'd play hulk/zap each week, as I said in my season preview thread.

Comment

wbm might be able show this weekend which would be nice, but his work schedule past few weekends have been rather brutal which has resulted in him being fast asleep every weekend during our matches.

on another note crazy canockout will not be around due to work so that wildcard is out of the window, but I don't think it would have worked anyway against a stronger shark duo. spartan is basically my only option as a partner for shark.

nevertheless it should be a fun match granted terrorist are definitely going in as the favorites. anything can happen in a best of three series. i don't think any team actually wants to face our line given how all of our matches were pretty close even against top teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Turban View Post
        wbm might be able show this weekend which would be nice, but his work schedule past few weekends have been rather brutal which has resulted in him being fast asleep every weekend during our matches.

on another note crazy canockout will not be around due to work so that wildcard is out of the window, but I don't think it would have worked anyway against a stronger shark duo. spartan is basically my only option as a partner for shark.

nevertheless it should be a fun match granted terrorist are definitely going in as the favorites. anything can happen in a best of three series. i don't think any team actually wants to face our line given how all of our matches were pretty close even against top teams.
        I sure as hell don't want to face Malevolent. All the talent is there, and if the line clicks then it's terrifying. Retroaction might be serviceable in shark, but I agree the pickings are slim. Shark depth is weird lately, as I feel like there are very few players who specialize in wb/jav but can also play shark decently as a sub. The ones that can get bumped up in rating, like Riverside (8.5*) or beam (8*). Inevitably, if they end up rated low enough to be played regularly, they get bumped up (or regress) to where that doesn't happen again.

Comment

Always enjoy reading these thanks, hype hype hype!

Comment

Weird you left me, megaman89, best, bram, and terminator out of the analysis seeing as an combo of us can work with star caps and can have a major impact on the game >>in a TWDT setting<<. Should be fun and I definitely would not sleep on us.

edit: and I finished third in spider overall/first in teks, despite playing one less game and Flew’s endless and merciless attempts at sabotage (jk luv u flew), so suck it “sarger”!!!!!!!!!!
            J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
            8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

WillBy Very good point about WoD's games, I hadn't really taken into account how close their losses had been. The Treway vs WoD series is definitely the most competitive of the weekend and it's really a tossup on who will advance.

renzi Apologies for leaving you out and, for what it's worth, you're the MVP of my heart. I just don't think your team's success depends on your spiders' performance. If it did, your team would have a better record. That said, with Mikkiz in terr and the strong roster of spids you have, Prayer could definitely pull off the W. I'm obviously a little biased, though.
              Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
              Message has been sent to online moderators
              2:BLeeN> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>no
              2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
              2:BLeeN> ok then no
              :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
              (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Gr8 write up vehicle

The treway wod series cud be gr8 but I haf treway as well

Comment

Originally posted by WillBy View Post

I sure as hell don't want to face Malevolent. All the talent is there, and if the line clicks then it's terrifying. Retroaction might be serviceable in shark, but I agree the pickings are slim. Shark depth is weird lately, as I feel like there are very few players who specialize in wb/jav but can also play shark decently as a sub. The ones that can get bumped up in rating, like Riverside (8.5*) or beam (8*). Inevitably, if they end up rated low enough to be played regularly, they get bumped up (or regress) to where that doesn't happen again.
                  I was benched all last season as a 7.5 then got bumped up and benched all this season as an 8 and if I were still a 7.5 I'd have gotten benched this whole season anyway.
                  Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

HYPE!!!! Great preview and many thanks to you for writing this up, Veh. Love to see the PLAYOFFS HYPE TRAIN
                    zidane> big play
                    Omega Red> dwop sick
                    mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                    WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                    1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

I TALKED SHIZ WITH CRIPPLE LIKE IT WAS 2008 LAST NIGHT!!!! GRUDGE MATCH HYPE!!!! MY ENTIRE SELF EGO IS ON THE MATCH!!!! LOOK FOR ANGRY RED MSGS IF TREYWEY LOSES LIKE MOUSE> MVP YOU SHARK LIKE MENELVAGOR REINCARTNATED!!!! YOU LOW IQ NOOB!!!

MOUSE - HELMET 100% ON!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MousE View Post
                        I TALKED SHIZ WITH CRIPPLE LIKE IT WAS 2008 LAST NIGHT!!!! GRUDGE MATCH HYPE!!!! MY ENTIRE SELF EGO IS ON THE MATCH!!!! LOOK FOR ANGRY RED MSGS IF TREYWEY LOSES LIKE MOUSE> MVP YOU SHARK LIKE MENELVAGOR REINCARTNATED!!!! YOU LOW IQ NOOB!!!

MOUSE - HELMET 100% ON!!!!!!!!!!
                        cripple> (MousE)> u stupid trash spider moron (MousE)> fucking clown moron i hope when u step outside a piano hits u in the head (MousE)> geek

true to his word, acme style

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

HYPE IS REAL, how did i just see this?

3/4 right, you should buy a lotto ticket.
                          pokebong> you never had a bad round b4?

~

1:Steadman> u turned that game and ur a god of subspace

Comment

Working...
                          X