• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting

The Color of Murder
    By Larry Elder
    FrontPageMagazine.com | March 1, 2002

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...cle.asp?ID=128

ON OCT. 7, 1998, two thugs killed gay University of Wyoming student Matthew Shepard. HBO recently moved up the airdate for "The Laramie Project," its Matthew Shepard movie, in order to beat NBC's soon-to-air movie about the same murder.

Killers kidnapped and robbed Shepard, apparently because of Shepard's sexual orientation, tied him to a fence, beat him into a coma, then left him to die. This shocking killing made international headlines.

Given Hollywood's interest in, call it, sexual-orientation murder, we might then soon expect a Hollywood feature called "The Jesse Dirkhising Story."

Who is Jesse Dirkhising?

Approximately one year after the abduction and murder of Matthew Shepard, two gay men abducted, tied up and raped Jesse Dirkhising. The Denver Post's Sue O'Brien describes the killing, "Police say the 13-year-old was drugged and blindfolded, gagged with underwear, strapped to a mattress and then brutally and repeatedly sodomized by one of his killers while the other watched. Ultimately, the seventh-grader died of suffocation because of the position he was in."

On June 7, 1998, three white racists abducted and dragged James Byrd, a black man of Jasper, Texas. This killing properly provoked international outrage. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, Houston Mayor Lee Brown and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) came to Jasper to condemn the killing and express condolences to the Byrd family.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said that Byrd's death and his family's way of coping served as an example to others. "We are diminished by this act," said Hutchison, "but from the depths of our pain, the fog of all our disbelief, we are going to emerge stronger. We have seen a family tested. We are better today because we have seen a family tested like no other family has been tested." President Bill Clinton, in a letter to the Byrd family, said, "People across our nation have been shocked and saddened by this tragedy. Violence and hatred in our society hurt us all, but few have had to endure its effects as personally as have you and your loved ones."

But how many presidential letters went out to the family of Ken Tillery?

Who is Ken Tillery?

Tillery, approximately a month ago, walked down a Jasper, Texas, road. Three men offered him a ride. But the men kidnapped Tillery, driving him to a remote location. John Perazzo of FrontPageMagazine.com, describes what happened: "When the terrified Tillery jumped out of the vehicle and tried to flee, the kidnappers caught up with him, beat him and finally ran over him ? dragging [emphasis added] him to his death beneath their car's undercarriage." How much coverage did the case get? An online search of 557 newspapers found that 22 covered the story.

Why the deafening silence? Well, Tillery is white, and the three suspects in the case ? Darrell Gilbert, Blake Little and Anthony Holmes ? are all black. No story.

In 1995, the late Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Royko wrote about a tragedy that took place in a Chicago suburb. According to Royko, the police stopped two black men in a car and arrested the driver for outstanding warrants. They towed the driver's car, leaving the passenger to fend for himself in a tough, predominantly white Chicago neighborhood. "Please don't leave me," the black man begged the cops, to no avail. Fifteen minutes later, this same black man was found suffering third-degree burns. Just as the man feared, apparently someone in this tough neighborhood doused him with some flammable liquid and set him on fire. He later died.

But then Royko threw us a curve. He wrote that, yes, he factually described the incident, but with one small wrinkle. He reversed the races of the cops and the drivers. Royko said, "Would this create much of a public uproar? Demands by community and political leaders for a full investigation? Based on past events, yes, there could be quite an outcry. Assuming, of course, that this story is factual. But it isn't entirely true. I changed a few facts. Such as race. In reality, the two cops were black and the two men they stopped were white." Again, no story. Never mind that where violent crime takes place between blacks and whites, the cases overwhelmingly involve a black perpetrator and a white victim.

In Coloring the News: How Crusading for Diversity Has Corrupted American Journalism, journalist William McGowan exposes modern mainstream journalism's let's-emphasize-racism-while-minimizing-minority-crime bias. New York Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr., according to McGowan, said, "If being labeled PC is the burden we must carry for offering readers a broader, more complete and therefore more accurate picture of the diverse world around us, it is one I bear proudly."

Mainstream media continue to deny their liberal bias. It's just that mainstream media consider some murder victims more equal than others.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Ok.. Two Parter Jerome, and it's going to be long, can't help it, sorry in advance for my existentialism.

First Part, problems with the article itself.
    Your case by case scenarios on the surface seem to be juxtaposed, but they're not necessarily. For instance, Matthew Sheperd was beaten to death, because he was gay. That is the reason, and it was a hate crime. Jesse Dirkhising wasn't abducted, raped, and killed, because he was straight, (if indeed he was), not to mention he was 13. Two crazy perverts, again with violent crime, a terrible crime, but not a hate crime. James Byrd was abducted and dragged to death because of the color of his skin. Yet again, another hate crime. Ken Tillery however, you've got no mention of whether it was racially motivated, some sort of revenge killing, or just three random crazy fuckers. It might be racially motivated, but if it were, it probably would have been mentioned specifically. Definitely a violent crime, and quite possibly a hate crime. What has corrupted American Journalism? It is most assuredly not 'crusading for diversity', it isn't any sort of liberal or conservative bias. To buy into this, is to swallow hook, line, and sinker, exactly what media corporations want you to believe.

Which leads me to Part Two. Where has all the Journalism gone?
    I used to work at a newspaper, as well as my Mother, and two of my brothers. Real actual Journalism is all but dead in the United States of America, and only to blame are corporations, and an apathy towards learning and the written word. Media companies that own newspapers, even small town newspapers will most often belong to a media group, which is a section of a larger chain, that is a section of a large media corporation. Imposed on these papers are restrictive budgets, and pushing to earn the highest profit margin for the least expense they can manage. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 30% profit margin, is what's hoped for in some newspaper groups. That's the kind of figure that would give a drug dealer a hard-on. As the almighty dollar strangles the paper, people will leave to find better paying jobs. When this occurs, rather than hiring someone new to fill the position which is now vacant, the paper will most often assign the duties of that position to other people, heaping more and more workload upon them, decreasing the time, effort, and thought, a reporter can put into any single story. As this begins to pile up, more people get fed up and leave, and this circle continues to happen until they are left with a group of people working at the paper, for one of two reasons. They're either too stupid to know any better, or they're doing what they want to do, and are willing to get ass raped working for $5.50 an hour, and occasionally pulling 14 hour work days (I did this, on more than one occasion personally). Journalists that write hard hitting thought provoking pieces usually offend -someone-. if you pick a side, you're gonna pick someone on the other side off, that's how it works. So just like the bland hollywood movies, reporters can and are being forced to take and write less offensive pieces, so as to secure offending the least amount of people possible. Which means that pieces are often done about less controversial subject matter, you get fluffy Op-Ed about just saying No to Drugs, or worse, that "Human Interest" Bullshit. While Saddam was appearing for the first time in court, NBC's Today show was displaying Katie Couric, and people playing Badminton. Our global network of information, has helped people get used to information, now, fast, easy, multiple streams of information at once (multi-tasking), as such with Television, it's helped to get people used to not having to take the time to read an article, in order to learn about it, so people get lazy. Thank goodness for the Internet, just be careful where you get your information from. Partial responsibility has to go to news agencies for not keeping up with the world. With our ever increasing means of communcation, and the essential shrinking of the time it takes for information to leave one place in the world and make it to another, there is no reason to ever have such a thing as a "slow news day" ever again. Something has to be happening in the world, somewhere. But it's easier to slap down an AP or Reuters article, or worse some pre-packaged recipe or some other fucking nonsense to take up the space needed to get an edition out the front door. Evidence is everywhere of American media being creampuff journalism compared to the world. I'd advise anyone to pay attention to just how many prepackaged questions and answers fly in the next interview you see, hear, or read. Look for signs of being manipulated. Then wonder why exactly it is, they want you to feel that way.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...worldviews.DTL
    Bush's media handlers lodged a formal complaint, because this Irish reporter proceeded to conduct a real interview, like lots of European Journalists will continue to do. The interview that was so bad?
    Here's a Transcript.

Judge for yourself the kind of media and news youd be more interested in reading.
    "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

ehsghg i was going to go somehwere with this, but i see your points. but you're still wrong dkfwhsh

internet de la jerome

Comment

interesting ..
        Throughout time, there’s been
        crimes, throughout our history
        But not as great, as the one of late, affecting you and me
        Once a nation proud and free, and now we’re weeping sorrow’s tears
        Tragedy’s approaching, it’s worse than all your fears

Come on my countrymen
        Come on and take a stand
        Don’t let ‘em take away your land

the Wenger bus is coming
        and all the kids are running
        from London to Manchester
        cos he's a child molester

fuck islam

Comment

Do you support spurs mr.eeehhhh?

Comment

Originally posted by unrealistic
            Do you support spurs mr.eeehhhh?
            jepps, tottenham are the greatest team the world have ever seen..
            Throughout time, there’s been
            crimes, throughout our history
            But not as great, as the one of late, affecting you and me
            Once a nation proud and free, and now we’re weeping sorrow’s tears
            Tragedy’s approaching, it’s worse than all your fears

Come on my countrymen
            Come on and take a stand
            Don’t let ‘em take away your land

the Wenger bus is coming
            and all the kids are running
            from London to Manchester
            cos he's a child molester

fuck islam

Comment

I thought the big rivlary was between chelsea and arsenal and not tottenham and arsenal..
              5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
              5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
              5: Da1andonly> =((
              5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
              5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
              5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Every time I visit the States, I'm shocked at the content and focus of their news. Living in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) I'm used to hearing about abductions, murders and other acts of brutality, but the news here tends to put the focus on informing, not entertaining. The American media seems to believe that we want to feel like we are watching a horror move when we turn on the news. I'm not saying it does not happen up here because it does. It's just that media in the States has a tendency of reporting only the stories that are likely to scare the hell out of their viewers enough to keep them watching.

In general I avoid all news anyways because it is just so depressing. The possible down side to my decision is that I lead a very sheltered life, especially here in the suburbs.

Comment

And the reason for that is to scare the people into actually watching their stories. Sensationalism I think it's called.

A article made by the president of a fireworks company in my local newspaper demonstrated it quite well. You always hear about a little boy losing a finger from a fireworks mishap, etc. What he argued is that from 1992 to 2003, the total number of fireworks accidents decreased from 12,000-9,000. This decrease is despite the fact that fireworks sales increased from roughly 80 million pounds to 130 million pounds, an increase of 60%. He also stated that a majority of those accidents were caused by the misuse of fireworks not purchased at stores.
                  The song doesn't make your hands clap,
                  The hand claps make the song

Comment

am glad of where i live theres very little racisim here, but people still fight/stab/slash/kill each other :/
                    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeansi
                      I thought the big rivlary was between chelsea and arsenal and not tottenham and arsenal..
                      No its very definately Spurs (Tottenham Hotspur) Vs Arsenal, however recently its onlt been Chelsea, Man Yoo and Arsenal in the title race so those matches are where the results bear more significance, not just pride
                      Originally posted by Facetious
                      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

manc = faggots

internet de la jerome

Comment

Interesting article, but I agree with Sarien.

It's unfortunate that there's so much murder and violence in our world that to make it big in the press, your case needs to have something that touches the public in a new way. Matthew shepard became the poster child for gay activists everywhere... this dirkhising fella was just a regular kid.

the story about the two policemen seemed weird to me the first time through, because I lived in chicago, and there just aren't any rough white neighborhoods where people would get lit on fire... so maybe that's the reason that story didn't cause a ruckus, it just seemed like nonsense.

EDIT: I said byrd where I meant dirkhising
                          Last edited by bloodzombie; 07-06-2004, 04:26 PM.
                          http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

There was a gangland hit in central London the other day and it made front page in the next morning's edition of the Evening Standard, as opposed to Americaland
                            Originally posted by Facetious
                            edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

But isn't chelsea from london as well?

don't kill me if I'm wrong, please.
                              5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                              5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                              5: Da1andonly> =((
                              5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                              5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                              5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Working...
                              X