No announcement yet.

Internet connection - dling and uling and internet-provider complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Bittornado because of its easy layout and the ability to choose what parts to download first (or never), although ABC and Azureus worked fine for me as well.

About ISP's, yes they are able to track how much data traffic you generate, with a program like DUmeter you can do this for yourself as well. Most ISP's dont have a datalimit however all of them have a Fair Use Policy, it usually includes something along the lines of "if you use a lot more than average amount of bandwidth we are able to limit your connection speed, close off your account" etc.
    Last edited by Roxy; 08-26-2004, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxy
      About ISP's, yes they are able to track how much data traffic you generate, with a program like DUmeter you can do this for yourself as well. Most ISP's dont have a datalimit however all of them have a Fair Use Policy, it usually includes something along the lines of "if you use a lot more than average amount of bandwidth we are able to limit your connection speed, close off your account" etc.
      I'lle just keep that in mind, and thanks for mentioning DUmeter! Next month I will start using it, and just keep the ul on a decent rate, like 10-20 giga.

I have heard from my friend that his friend has been dling all the time, and never got any complain about it. I guess he has just been lucky. Though I think those who use this ISP that I have dl even more what I do, and plus they have much better connection then me.. If they are heavy downloaders.

I just hope that I won't get a warrning on my first month.. since I have been so excited about having a connection, and when there are so much to dl and all.. :/
      Endless space, endless exploration.

Comment

Yeah, Shadows Bittornado one is the best since you can set it to dialup and u/l 3k a sec max per bit torrent instance. As for the d/l thing... If your service provider limits your connection speed, then you don't have to worry about anything. If they leave it unlimited and charge you more after going over certain restrictions, then you gotta worry about hitting the max. But it sounds like its the first case, so I don't think you have to worry about it. Even if they monitor it, the worst case scenario is that they might call you about it, in which case you just stop doing it or reduce it to stuff you actually want.

Comment

dude xdcc bots own p2p
          -All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break 'em for no-one you understand?

- Do not make decisions on an empty stomach.

Comment

No, irc bots don't own bit torrent... #1. No damn queue. #2. You will max your d/l out (if the u/l on irc isn't very high, then you won't) #3. irc's material is much more limited #4. Not very user friendly

Comment

The BT client I'm using on my linux-machine owns every windows-software there is. apt-get install bittorrent . I'm limiting my upload to 5kb/sec and I still can download full speed.
              last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

I'm limited to 2 GB a month with my campus connection. However I don't mind, as this limitation basically came about out of my need to play subspace 3 years ago. There used to be no limit and like 10 people would be responsible for around 98% of the bandwidth consumption resulting in us having too much ploss to play SS. Naturally we complained about these assholes ruining our spaceship game, and a few months later they put in a limiting 2 GB a month policy, you have to pay %0.002 per megabyte you go over. Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by aLi_G
                  dude xdcc bots own p2p
                  XDCC bots are virus and spyware ridden. I stopped using XDCC about a year and a half ago.

Comment

Limiting your upload is pretty lame, defeats the purpose of p2p.
                    Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

It's lame but we all do it :up:

Comment

I don't, I always upload more than I download.
                        Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

I have a 256 DSL and if I let people download from me at full speed my connection totally chokes and I can't browse any pages.
                          last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo
                            I don't, I always upload more than I download.
                            Well, I suppose if you feel guilty about it, KEEP THE TORRENT ALIVE!

Comment

Working...
                            X